Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 pre-season training

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    Agree with Mills into the midfield. It's time. I'd like to see both Dawson and Campbell across half back. Quick rebound with their elite kicking would create.
    I'd rather see Dawson floating around the wings to half forward. I think we really need his quality kicking into the forward line, and he has the potential kick goals from outside 50 too.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I'd rather see Dawson floating around the wings to half forward. I think we really need his quality kicking into the forward line, and he has the potential kick goals from outside 50 too.
    Campbell, too, once he earns a spot in the side. The kick into the forward 50 is by far the most difficult and most important, so makes sense to have the absolute best kickers hanging around the wings and half-forward.

Some updates from the Swans insta today:

- Rowbottom and Blakey appeared to be running well in a group that included Mills and Clarke
    - Naismith participating in some lighter looking drills, but no knee protection. Not for what to read in to this, but can't help but feel positive about his progress looking at him
    - Heeney running in the sprints. It was straight line, so not a full indication he's over his ankle injury, but again, an encouraging sign in his progress

I stayed longer this time. There was a 5th group with Taylor, Brand, Naismith, Franklin, Mcinerney, Heeney and Papley. They did a lighter session mainly skills and straight line running.

Thanks SeanM. Really appreciate the updates. Still the same 9.30ish start?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Friday morning I got there around 8.45am. They had already started. They had two separate groups doing the same session.
    Group 1 - Gulden, Ronke, Mclean, Mcdonald, Sheather, Wicks, Bell and Amartey.
    Group 2 - Stephen, Clarke, Mills, Florent, Warner, Rowbottom, Campbell and Blakey. (Kennedy was with this group but don't think he did the running)

Running Drill
    - It was like a shuttle run with about five cones set up. They sprint to the 1st cone and back. Then the 2nd cone and back etc. To make it more competitive they split the group in half to make it a race. One half does cone 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. The other half does cone 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Then they did a sprint along the boundary between the 50m arc. Then they did shuttle run again. Then the sprint again and so on.

Skill Drills
    - The usual skill drills that they do. Kicking the ball back and forth. Picking up ground balls and handballing it off. Kicking the ball in a triangle.

Handball Drill
    - 4 attackers try to handpass their way past 3 defenders.

Kicking Drill
    - A player running forward kicking to a player running towards him.

Running Drill
    - Alternating between sprints along the boundary and straight line sprints across the oval.

Kicking Drill
    - 6 players arranged in a circle with 1 player in the middle against 2 defenders. The attacking team moves the ball around and tries to kick it to the attacking player in the middle.

Drill to Move the ball upfield
    - 5 attackers try to move the ball upfield against 2 defenders. There was a lot of focus on movement, players making leads into space and continuing to run forward to stay involved.

Kicking Drill
    - Players arranged in a triangle in front of the goals. Ball gets kicked from the goal square to the back pocket, who centres the ball to a player having a running shot at goal. They then did it in reverse so the player having the shot is running in at a 45 degree angle.

A few players had set shots at goal, they did a cool down and the first two groups were finished by 10am.
    Last edited by SeanM; 8th January 2021 at 04:08 PM.

Excellent account, SeanM. Sounds reasonably good to watch. Any comments about any of the players?

They've posted an interview with Will Gould on the Swans website: Gould: It would mean everything to debut (sydneyswans.com.au). He says that last year he was being developed by Brett Kirk and Kirk and Horse identified a few areas that he needed to improve. One of these was his running (I wonder what the others are) and the interviewer mentioned he was one of the most improved in the time trial. He also looked a lot leaner. Gould said he is very much looking forward to playing at senior level but didn't make it sound like he was on the cusp of selection, saying he just needs to take it one session at a time.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

The next two groups started around 10am and finished around 11.30am
    Group 3 - Fox, Ling, Malachy, Rampe, Lloyd, Gould, Melican, McCartin and O'Connor.
    Group 4 - Parker, Hewett, Hayward, Dawson, Gray, Hickey, Sinclair and Reid.

Group 3 did a similiar session to the first two groups. Though there was a lot more coaching during the drill where they move the ball upfield.

They had 6 attackers vs 3 defenders moving the ball upfield from the goal square. The coach would give feedback after each repetition. I was far away but heard him mention "movement" and "opening up space". I think it was because this group was mainly defenders so the drill was more relevent to them in how they move the ball out from defence. Once the attacking team had successfully moved the ball upfield. They also quickly simulated a turnover. So the attacking team could practice marking up and adjusting after a turnover.

Group 4 did not do the running drills. They did more straight line running and agility drills instead. But they did the rest of the drills.

Group 5 came out last. It consisted of Taylor, Brand, Franklin, Mcinerney, Heeney, Naismith and Papley.

- They did skill drills. Passing a tennis ball back and forth. Short kicks and handballs back and forth.
    - They did the drill where 5 players in a circle tried to kick the ball to 1 player in the middle.
    - They did some agility exercises and then a lot of straight line running.

- Naismith was working with the physio on the sideline. He was doing things like squat jumps and holding his weight on one leg.
    - Franklin was mainly doing straight line runs. He was also jogging on a angle kicking the ball back and forth with one of the coaches.
    - Heeney looked ok. He did straight line running with frequent 45 degree changes in direction. Also did 1 on 1 drills with Laider where he was making leads and picking up ground balls and getting a shot away.

Watching those pre-season training videos with the background music is really getting me pumped for the season (already!) and I'm so optimistic. Just wish we had more opportunity to train together to gel before the season starts. Love our team!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Excellent account, SeanM. Sounds reasonably good to watch. Any comments about any of the players?

They've posted an interview with Will Gould on the Swans website: Gould: It would mean everything to debut (sydneyswans.com.au). He says that last year he was being developed by Brett Kirk and Kirk and Horse identified a few areas that he needed to improve. One of these was his running (I wonder what the others are) and the interviewer mentioned he was one of the most improved in the time trial. He also looked a lot leaner. Gould said he is very much looking forward to playing at senior level but didn't make it sound like he was on the cusp of selection, saying he just needs to take it one session at a time.
    I didn't quite understand the angst over Gould not debuting last year. He is listed as 191cm, and that was last year, possibly grown since then. Key defender. Not many of those types playing much if any footy in their first seasons. Good luck to Will.

In relation to the 5 groups, I note that:

* (understandably) they are being consistent with how they are grouped from session to session

* Horse said in the Wednesday presser that the clubs expects to find out over the weekend whether they will need to continue training in small groups next week

* the groups seem to be divided possibly along the following lines: youngsters who are perhaps not closely contending for best 22 at present (group 1), midfielders (group 2), defenders (group 3), players on modified programs (more advanced) (group 4), and players on modified programs (further to go) (group 5). Does that seem plausible? Any better ideas? Obviously leaves out forwards altogether which is kind of a glaring omission. Also suggests that McDonald and Gulden are not currently contending to play round 1 but Campbell is and who knows if that's true, especially given there seems to be a need for tall forwards. I wonder if we might play Hickey, Sinclair and Reid in the same team round 1, assuming that Buddy and McDonald are not selected??

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I wonder if we might play Hickey, Sinclair and Reid in the same team round 1, assuming that Buddy and McDonald are not selected??
    If we are going to play two rucks, I wouldn't mind the second one being McLean or Amartey, but Sinclair probably still offers more than McLean as a second ruck both in the ruck and forward so maybe not. Amartey however is a bit of a different proposition - more agile and better at jumping but less of a unit able to crash a pack or outbody his opponent.

Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast