Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 pre-season training

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Excellent account, SeanM. Sounds reasonably good to watch. Any comments about any of the players?
    I find it hard to make subjective judgments on individual players. Because they are mostly doing uncontested drills, I am a distance away and I keep shifting my focus.

From today I liked the drill where they moved the ball upfield. Even though it is 6 att vs 3 def or 5 att vs 2 def. It puts the players in a more realistic situation where they are under some pressure, need to be accurate with their kick and think about where they want to move to. I liked Gulden in that drill because he was always running hard to create a passing option further upfield and trying to stay involved in the sequence. He seems very driven so it would not surprise me if he got a debut fairly early.

Of the players in group 5 Heeney looks in Ok condition despite injuring his ankle last season. He was running quick and doing changes in direction. He approached Laidler to do several 1 on 1 drills with him for at least 30 minutes. He was making leads on the turn and then with changes in direction. He would usually mark without jumping but sometimes he would do a small two footed leap. He also practiced picking up ground balls and getting a flat pass away. As well as picking up ground balls then having a shot 35m out under pressure or on the run . Then did agility stuff behind the goals with the fitness coach. I spent the end of the session mainly watching Heeney. He seemed self motivated.

Unsurprisingly Fox looks in very good physical condition. He could do the shuttle runs then immediately after sprint around the boundary at full pace. Also McCartin looked to be running well in the running drills despite looking very built in the upper body.
    Last edited by SeanM; 8th January 2021 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    In relation to the 5 groups, I note that:

* (understandably) they are being consistent with how they are grouped from session to session

* Horse said in the Wednesday presser that the clubs expects to find out over the weekend whether they will need to continue training in small groups next week

* the groups seem to be divided possibly along the following lines: youngsters who are perhaps not closely contending for best 22 at present (group 1), midfielders (group 2), defenders (group 3), players on modified programs (more advanced) (group 4), and players on modified programs (further to go) (group 5). Does that seem plausible? Any better ideas? Obviously leaves out forwards altogether which is kind of a glaring omission. Also suggests that McDonald and Gulden are not currently contending to play round 1 but Campbell is and who knows if that's true, especially given there seems to be a need for tall forwards. I wonder if we might play Hickey, Sinclair and Reid in the same team round 1, assuming that Buddy and McDonald are not selected??
    The groups might not be precisely by position because they might need to distribute the fully fit players evenly.

Group 1 might be forwards and rucks. It might reflect us not having many first choice forwards/rucks fully fit.

If I was drawing conclusions from the makeup of group 1. Wicks/Ronke are probably in contention for a pressure forward spot. McLean/Amartey/Mcdonald would probably depend on the fitness of our first choice talls. Bell/Sheather might be seen as depth half forwards. They might be penciling in Gulden as a small forward and Campbell as a winger (Though he may not play straight away with Stephens, Florent, Mcinerney, and Blakey who can also play wing).
    Last edited by SeanM; 8th January 2021 at 04:59 PM.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Happy NY RWO family.

Most significant thing I have gleaned from the club's 2021 posts is how lean Buddy looks. This is a massive positive and makes me feel optimistic he will be less injury prone and able to contribute more. He looks as lean as he did in his early days with the Hawks.

Also noted how lean Will Gould looks. I'm going out on a limb here - Gould will play early in 2021, will win a rising star of the week award and become a best 22 player.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Happy NY RWO family.

Most significant thing I have gleaned from the club's 2021 posts is how lean Buddy looks. This is a massive positive and makes me feel optimistic he will be less injury prone and able to contribute more. He looks as lean as he did in his early days with the Hawks.

Also noted how lean Will Gould looks. I'm going out on a limb here - Gould will play early in 2021, will win a rising star of the week award and become a best 22 player.
    Gould will have to beat some incumbents to get there. Rampe, Melican, McCartin, mills, Lloyd, fox, Dawson
    May happen if Mills starts attending a few centre bounces and spends 30% time in the middle and gets back when momentum swings to the opposition given he is good being a general down back.
    Having competition for spots is always healthy and we need that with a developing team. Colin, Barry o Connor, brand, Gould and Ling. Decent backups I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Gould will have to beat some incumbents to get there. Rampe, Melican, McCartin, mills, Lloyd, fox, Dawson
    May happen if Mills starts attending a few centre bounces and spends 30% time in the middle and gets back when momentum swings to the opposition given he is good being a general down back.
    Having competition for spots is always healthy and we need that with a developing team. Colin, Barry o Connor, brand, Gould and Ling. Decent backups I reckon.
    Rampe, McCartain, Mills, Lloyd and Cunningham should all be certainties in our backline. Dawson likely to play up the field more. That leaves 1-2 spots in our backline rotation.

Leaves Melican, Brand, Fox, COR, Ling and Gould battling for the last 1-2 spots. Gould has the most talent and upside. From a team point of view, we need Gould to convert talent to form.

I would highly doubt Gould makes our round 1 team. He would need Mills to move to the midfield and possibly an injury to someone.

Veterans List
    Round one, probably not.....but he will have well and truly debuted by the half way point of the season, possibly earlier. He has obviously fulfilled his off season requirements and as such, will be rewarded. His ongoing 'conditioning' last season was not. He now knows and respects what's expected of him. My two cents worth.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I agree. We can only speculate about players' efforts. A good example of someone being held back at the moment is Heeney. Horse said as much in his latest comments released by the club. If we saw Heeney just jogging around during training, it's not because he doesn't want to go full tilt, he's been told to rein it in, so he's good for the whole season. The short end of it is, we just don't know.
    If someone has a leg injury like a broken bone, it can take the best part of a year for the damage to heal completely. In that context, it is not surprising to see Heeney going a bit easy. The last thing anyone wants is for the injury to recur due to overconfidence.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Has O'Riordan come back to Australia? I haven't noticed him in the training photos. Maybe he is in quarantine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Has O'Riordan come back to Australia? I haven't noticed him in the training photos. Maybe he is in quarantine.
    He's currently in hotel quarantine

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    If someone has a leg injury like a broken bone, it can take the best part of a year for the damage to heal completely. In that context, it is not surprising to see Heeney going a bit easy. The last thing anyone wants is for the injury to recur due to overconfidence.
    Broke my leg about 15 years ago. Still run like Cliff Young did in 1983. Depends on the break & the rehab. No fun I tells ya!

Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast