Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
Results 145 to 156 of 413

Thread: 2021 pre-season training

  1. #145
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,230
    The Swans website has posted a gallery of Friday training pics. McLean looks particularly ripped as does Heeney.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

  2. #146
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    The Swans website has posted a gallery of Friday training pics. McLean looks particularly ripped as does Heeney.
    I managed to catch ten minutes of training this morning on my way from work. Could not catch the details that SeanM so reliably provides for us RWOers, but I did get to note who has put on the necessary kgs.

    Heeney - if that is even possible - and McLean were two who looked notably bigger than when I last saw them. So too Mills, though hard to tell with a T-shirt on as opposed to tank tops most were in. Stephens looks bigger, Florent looks bigger, Amartey more defined - baby fat seems to have gone off he and McLean. Blakey looks bigger, albeit from a low base. Warner is a unit. McCartin is becoming a man mountain. Wicks and Bell two locals also looked bigger. Papley and Ling are more defined than when I last saw them.

    On the other end of the spectrum, Parker appears to have slimmed down a fraction, as has Franklin, and of course Gould.

    Of the new faces, Sheather looks most senior-ready. Campbell, Gulden and McDonald are all decent sizes for their age. I did not notice Carruthers.

    Among those who don't seem to have put any muscle on at all were Hayward, Rowbottom, Dawson and Clarke.

  3. #147
    Nice updates there! What about Squizzy Taylor? Has he gotten himself fit or does he still look like he is carrying too much weight? For his career to go beyond 2021 he needs to get super fit in my view.

  4. #148
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Nice updates there! What about Squizzy Taylor? Has he gotten himself fit or does he still look like he is carrying too much weight? For his career to go beyond 2021 he needs to get super fit in my view.
    Did not spot him.

    Two players I know I saw, but who look so similar I couldn't tell which one I was looking at at any given moment, were Melican and the Irish lad O'Connor. Same hair and height and everything - both massive.

  5. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Did not spot him.

    Two players I know I saw, but who look so similar I couldn't tell which one I was looking at at any given moment, were Melican and the Irish lad O'Connor. Same hair and height and everything - both massive.
    Squizzy was probably having breakfast at KFC.

  6. #150
    I don't remember seeing Taylor this week. But I think last week he was in the group that did light training.

  7. #151
    Senior Player dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    3,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    The Swans website has posted a gallery of Friday training pics. McLean looks particularly ripped as does Heeney.
    He does. Keen to see how he goes in the preseason. If he can apply more defensive pressure and roam up the ground further, he should be a real bonus.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Squizzy was probably having breakfast at KFC.
    If he came back a bit overweight, like last year, then surely it's Tubby, rather than Squizzy?

    - - - Updated - - -

    A question to those people who've been supplying the informative reports about training: have there been any sightings of a VFL squad and/or an academy train on squad?

  8. #152
    "If he came back a bit overweight, like last year, then surely it's Tubby, rather than Squizzy?"

    Yes totally agree.

  9. #153
    Monday morning training went from around 9am-12pm.

    - The group doing light training is starting to do a bit more. They usually do light skills drills, high knee exercises and straight line running. But they are starting to do change of direction agility drills, ball movement drills and practicing leads. Of that group Naismith is further back. He does static exercises and straight line running. Malachy/Dawson joined that group at the start for skill drills, took it easy for most of the session and did a bit of running around the oval. I think I saw COR just hanging around on the side for a little bit but don't think he got involved.

    - The main group did the usual warmup, skill and ball movement drills. But there is starting to be more of a focus on match sim. Initially I think it was 14 vs 10 resetting once it got turned over. But then they did 10 vs 10 with 2 players in yellow bibs joining whichever team was in possession. Which allowed both teams to get a chance to attack after each turnover. Also there is going to be more minor collision injuries like corks as there is more contact with players colliding and light tackles.

    - The 1st year players had a lighter training load. So they sat out the extra sprints and shuttle runs. But it was interesting for the future watching them kick the ball among themselves. Campbell was doing long passes to Mcdonald on the lead, who would mark it and give a handball to Gulden running past to take a shot.

  10. #154
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Monday morning training went from around 9am-12pm.

    - The group doing light training is starting to do a bit more. They usually do light skills drills, high knee exercises and straight line running. But they are starting to do change of direction agility drills, ball movement drills and practicing leads. Of that group Naismith is further back. He does static exercises and straight line running. Malachy/Dawson joined that group at the start for skill drills, took it easy for most of the session and did a bit of running around the oval. I think I saw COR just hanging around on the side for a little bit but don't think he got involved.

    - The main group did the usual warmup, skill and ball movement drills. But there is starting to be more of a focus on match sim. Initially I think it was 14 vs 10 resetting once it got turned over. But then they did 10 vs 10 with 2 players in yellow bibs joining whichever team was in possession. Which allowed both teams to get a chance to attack after each turnover. Also there is going to be more minor collision injuries like corks as there is more contact with players colliding and light tackles.

    - The 1st year players had a lighter training load. So they sat out the extra sprints and shuttle runs. But it was interesting for the future watching them kick the ball among themselves. Campbell was doing long passes to Mcdonald on the lead, who would mark it and give a handball to Gulden running past to take a shot.
    Thank you for the info SeanM.

    Relieved Dawson is getting into some training.

    Unsure I like the thought of McDonald giving off to Gulden for the shot at goal. As our primary KPF for the future, you'd like to see him taking those shots himself. If not at training, how can he be expected to do it in match situations??

  11. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Thank you for the info SeanM.

    Relieved Dawson is getting into some training.

    Unsure I like the thought of McDonald giving off to Gulden for the shot at goal. As our primary KPF for the future, you'd like to see him taking those shots himself. If not at training, how can he be expected to do it in match situations??
    Wouldn’t be too concerned, sounds like it was just a drill they were doing amongst themselves.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #156
    It was more that they were working on their combination. It was the equivalent of McDonald tapping the ball down to Gulden running past him at pace.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO