Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 pre-season training

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    On Wednesday training started around 9am and finished around 11am. They were in one big group again.

Although there was a group of 8 doing lighter training separate from the rest. Mainly skill drills, straight line running and some high knee exercises. I think it was Naismith, Brand, Franklin, Malachy, Heeney, Cunningham, Papley and Mcinerney.

Warmup
    They ran around a square with 4 fitness stations set up. Sprints, sideways movement, high knees and weaving between poles.

Kicking in Pairs
    Players split up into pairs or threes. And just kicked the ball back and forth. Initially flat passes and then longer higher passes to advantage.

3 Skill stations
    Rotated through 3 skill stations
    - Kicking with a man on the mark and trying to land then ball in an area designated with cones.
    - Handball drill. 4 attackers handpass through 2 defenders
    - Picking up a rolling ground ball and having a quick shot from 35m out from goal

Handpass drill diagonal
    - 3 lines of players on each side opposite each other. Players run and handpass towards a player diagonally opposite them.

Kicking Drill diagonal
    - 3 lines of players on each side opposite each other. Players run and kick towards a player diagonally opposite them.

Drill where they work the ball upfield
    - Ball starts from a kick in from the goal square. He kicks it to the back pocket who kicks to one of two leading players. And they gradually work the ball upfield. It involved multiple leading options and players encouraged to keep running forward and stay involved.

Passing drill using a lot of width
    5 attackers try to pass the ball through 6 defenders. They used a really wide area which encouraged the attackers to switch the ball sideways to space. (the 6 defenders were spaced out in 3 lanes of 2 players.)

Split up into two groups
    - First group had Hickey and Sinclair practicing tapping it down to a 1 vs 1 from a ball up or boundary throw in. I think Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Rowbottom, Florent, Clarke, Mills, Warner, Stephens, Blakey and Campbell were in this group.
    - The other group did 1 vs 1 contested marking from a high ball into the goal square. Later they kicked to a 1 vs 1 contest in the goal square and then had 2 attackers and 2 defenders running in to crumb the loose ball.

Split up into Backs, Mid, Forwards with their line coaches
    - Mids were with Cox. They continued to do tap stoppages. But incorporated a chain of handballs and a kick to exit the stoppage. Later they did drills picking up rolling groundballs.
    - Backs with Matthews practiced kicking the ball when a man was on the mark trying to land the ball in an area. Then later did contested marking 1 vs 1.
    - Forwards with Mcveigh did a drill where 2 attackers were trying to mark the ball against 1 defender in a small zone near the goal square. (The group of forwards seems to be the largest group of players.)
    Brilliant! Many thanks for your reports. Just wondering if COR was there? I know he was in quarantine. Also, can you remember where Ling was training? Still with the backs?

I did not see COR. I have always seen Ling training with the backs.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    I did not see COR. I have always seen Ling training with the backs.
    thks for your great observations

Great to hear Mills is in the midfield specific drills

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Great to hear Mills is in the midfield specific drills
    Yes, I was pleased about that. It will be interesting to see how he goes, if he spends the entire preseason there. Will the early games see him looking like a midfield gun, and thus fulfilling the promise of his junior years? Or will it seem that his midfield development has been stunted, by the few seasons that he spent playing as a defender?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I recall an interview Mills did last year after one of his first stints in the midfield, where he said he had to try to recall positioning, body work and other technical elements of playing at centre bounces - as opposed to being a defender. He was almost surprised how much he'd had to adjust and remember again. He's a smart footballer, so he should get there - but it might take a bit of actual game time to get it all right.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I recall an interview Mills did last year after one of his first stints in the midfield, where he said he had to try to recall positioning, body work and other technical elements of playing at centre bounces - as opposed to being a defender. He was almost surprised how much he'd had to adjust and remember again. He's a smart footballer, so he should get there - but it might take a bit of actual game time to get it all right.
    Which is interesting. That is, much of learning new skills, is to do something often enough and competently enough, for the procedure to be transferred from the conscious mind to the subconscious. You don't really start to do something efficiently, until you stop thinking about what you're doing (well, in regards to physical tasks).

Thanks for sharing Aardvark. Let's hope McVeigh is right. I hope Buddy gets on the park and stays on. What's encouraging about this article is what Macca relays about the Swans' board and the mentality of playing finals. I'm getting pumped for this season!

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Which is interesting. That is, much of learning new skills, is to do something often enough and competently enough, for the procedure to be transferred from the conscious mind to the subconscious. You don't really start to do something efficiently, until you stop thinking about what you're doing (well, in regards to physical tasks).
    Callum was a natural inside mid in his junior days, so this stuff should come back to him pretty quickly and relatively easily. Now as long as the coaches don't take the easy way out and send him back as soon as something is looking shaky down there - he is a midfielder and should be played as such. His so called apprenticeship down back should be done and dusted.

Friday morning it started around 9am and finished around 1130am. One big group again apart from Naismith, Brand, Franklin, Cunningham, Heeney, Mcinerney and Papley who did light skils, high knee exercises, straight line running and kicking the ball back and forth. Heeney and Franklin also did some exercises with a coach behind the goals where they were running back and forwards and moving side to side.

Warmup
    - One group did a more intensive warmup involving shuttle runs and then sprints from one end of the oval to the other.
    - The other group did a lighter warmup with agility exercises and a bit of straight line running

Skills
    - Handballing and kicking the ball back and forth 10m apart from each other
    - In pairs/threes kicking the ball between each other from a bigger distance

4 Drills rotating between them
    - Tackling exercises (both players on their feet)
    - 4 attackers trying to handpass through 2 defenders
    - Kicking against a man on the mark and trying to land the ball in a zone
    - Kicking for goal against a man on the mark

Drill moving the ball upfield
    - Usually starts from a goal kick or a 4 vs 3 contest near the boundary. The attacking players break out and gradually work the ball upfield and kick a goal.

2 Drills
    - 5 attackers try to keep possession against 4 defenders by moving around and kicking to each other
    - Drill where they move the ball upfield, they simulate a turnover at halfway, then rebound and immediately attack the other way. The 1min video on the Swans twitter shows them doing this drill.

Drill moving the ball upfield from the goal square
    - Player kicks out from the goal square to one of two leading targets. Then they gradually move the ball upfield and kick a goal. With a focus on players leading into space and continuing to run forward

13 vs 10 match sim
    - 4 vs 3 in the back line, 5 vs 4 in the mids, 4 vs 3 in the forward line. Players were playing in their normal positions.
    A match sim where the attacking side would try to move the ball forward to score a goal. Then reset and started again. No tackling but was the drill closest to a realistic match situation. They probably went for about 25-30minutes and players swapped between the attacking/defending team.

Split up into informal groups
    - They split up into smaller groups doing various things. One group was doing 1 vs 1 contested marking in the goal square. Another was practicing goal kicking. Other players were just kicking the ball back and forth to each other or practicing picking up ground balls.
    Last edited by SeanM; 15th January 2021 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Callum was a natural inside mid in his junior days, so this stuff should come back to him pretty quickly and relatively easily. Now as long as the coaches don't take the easy way out and send him back as soon as something is looking shaky down there - he is a midfielder and should be played as such. His so called apprenticeship down back should be done and dusted.
    Yes, I'm looking forward to him having an extended run as an inside midfielder. I doubt if he'll look like the midfield messiah, early on. But by midseason, there should be more high quality games.