Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast

Thread: 2021 pre-season training

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Regarding Rowbottom playing on the "weaker" side.. it's fair to assume there were 3 starting on ball spots in the red and they went to Parker, Kennedy, Mills. Which is reasonable. He's not ahead of them just yet, but may be in the near future
    That much is true. Rowbottom is a best 22 player but he is not cemented enough that he can afford a slow start to the year, especially with a lengthy queue of young Swans all competing for spots. Although many fans including myself might see Rowbottom as ahead of Stephens , Bell, Warner, Gulden these players, if they perform better in the pre-season then they will steal his spot. I'm not putting a line through his season by any means but he has just squandered one chance to further solidify his place in the team while others have strengthened their claims. So its reasonable to say RB might be on notice over the next couple of weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think the Red team from the Saturday practice hitout is the most probable starting back six. Fox is the preferred choice for the last spot over COR, Gould and several others, but there's a lot of competition for that spot. Dawson is also a possibilty.

In a recent interview on SEN, Jake Lloyd described his role as the player with the job of getting free and moving the ball out of the backline, a role some have labeled the quarterback. Rampe likes to play the goalie (he's even willing to climb the goalpost if necessary) if he can drop off his man, which he should be able to do if Melican and McCartin take the 2 top oppo KPDs.
    I found it vaguely interesting that Fox was playing in Lewis Taylor's number of 28. At the moment, Taylor seems to be performing the role, that in the past, has been performed by Ronke, Pink and by a few others whose names I can't recall. Which is; the 'does he actually exist' role. Not in any injury reports. Not sighted in any training footage. Doesn't feature in any puff pieces. Certainly not playing any games. Then when you've almost entirely forgotten about them, up they pop in a seconds game, and you go, "Oh, there's whats his name, he does exist!"

Actually, I'm beginning to wonder, if when we got rid of Elijah Taylor, did we inadvertently get rid of Lewis Taylor, as well?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    That much is true. Rowbottom is a best 22 player but he is not cemented enough that he can afford a slow start to the year, especially with a lengthy queue of young Swans all competing for spots. Although many fans including myself might see Rowbottom as ahead of Stephens , Bell, Warner, Gulden these players, if they perform better in the pre-season then they will steal his spot. I'm not putting a line through his season by any means but he has just squandered one chance to further solidify his place in the team while others have strengthened their claims. So its reasonable to say RB might be on notice over the next couple of weeks
    Yes it’s reasonable that he might be on notice, but just as reasonable that he might not. The proof of the RB will be in the playing. He’s best 22 for mine.

Although RB didn't appear my best 22 from the Match Sim, I was basing that selection on the best 22 from that match. I thought he was behind others in that role on the day.
    I still have utmost faith in him, there was too much to like about what he did last year to not forgive a misstep along the way.
    On the other hand, I stand by my concerns over fitness: he was second to many contests trailing Kennedy and Parker to the ball, not bursting into contests and missing tackles. His second efforts were a feature of his play but I watched him struggling to get into defensive positions at clearances and did not figure in any attacking moves I witnessed.
    If he does not have fitness concerns then I cannot explain why his performance was so lackluster.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    Although RB didn't appear my best 22 from the Match Sim, I was basing that selection on the best 22 from that match. I thought he was behind others in that role on the day.
    I still have utmost faith in him, there was too much to like about what he did last year to not forgive a misstep along the way.
    On the other hand, I stand by my concerns over fitness: he was second to many contests trailing Kennedy and Parker to the ball, not bursting into contests and missing tackles. His second efforts were a feature of his play but I watched him struggling to get into defensive positions at clearances and did not figure in any attacking moves I witnessed.
    If he does not have fitness concerns then I cannot explain why his performance was so lackluster.
    Scratch match. Hasn't found his touch yet.

How many years have people been saying "Kennedy is struggling this year", only to find his mojo at about Round 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    It was a scratch match for goodness sake. The first "match" if you can call it that. Most players are rusty at this stage. It doesn't mean they are unfit.

More concerning that McInenerney didn't play. But then again we tend to introduce some players at different stages of preseason.
    He had some back soreness over the break. They have him on a manage the damage program.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Is that Paddy McCartin taking a high mark in the latest training pics?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Is that Paddy McCartin taking a high mark in the latest training pics?
    I suspect you're talking about the photos posted a couple of days ago, rather than the ones that have appeared this afternoon. Paddy Mac was captured in a couple of those photos (confirmed by the accompanying captions).

Whoever took today's pictures (or at least, whoever selected the photos for the website) seems to have a bit of a Buddy obsession. I reckon around half of them are of Buddy, and half of the rest are of Heeney grinning.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I suspect you're talking about the photos posted a couple of days ago, rather than the ones that have appeared this afternoon. Paddy Mac was captured in a couple of those photos (confirmed by the accompanying captions).

Whoever took today's pictures (or at least, whoever selected the photos for the website) seems to have a bit of a Buddy obsession. I reckon around half of them are of Buddy, and half of the rest are of Heeney grinning.
    Correct Liz, I'm well behind in looking at stuff! Agree today's pics are a lot of rubbish :-)

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

What is the point of having 4 mug shots of 1 player in a training photo gallery? My hunch is that Heeney's dentist is moonlighting as the Swans' photographer.

I think they might have been excited at Buddy’s joining in a training session.

But having looked at the pics I see your point: Buddy and Isaacs teeth are 25 of the 27 shots