Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 pre-season training

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    It was more that they were working on their combination. It was the equivalent of McDonald tapping the ball down to Gulden running past him at pace.
    Thanks again Sean. Really appreciate your reports.

Monday morning training went from around 9am-12pm.

- The group doing light training is starting to do a bit more. They usually do light skills drills, high knee exercises and straight line running. But they are starting to do change of direction agility drills, ball movement drills and practicing leads. Of that group Naismith is further back. He does static exercises and straight line running. Malachy/Dawson joined that group at the start for skill drills, took it easy for most of the session and did a bit of running around the oval. I think I saw COR just hanging around on the side for a little bit but don't think he got involved.

- The main group did the usual warmup, skill and ball movement drills. But there is starting to be more of a focus on match sim. Initially I think it was 14 vs 10 resetting once it got turned over. But then they did 10 vs 10 with 2 players in yellow bibs joining whichever team was in possession. Which allowed both teams to get a chance to attack after each turnover. Also there is going to be more minor collision injuries like corks as there is more contact with players colliding and light tackles.

- The 1st year players had a lighter training load. So they sat out the extra sprints and shuttle runs. But it was interesting for the future watching them kick the ball among themselves. Campbell was doing long passes to Mcdonald on the lead, who would mark it and give a handball to Gulden running past to take a shot.
    love these insights - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Thank you for the info SeanM.

Relieved Dawson is getting into some training.

Unsure I like the thought of McDonald giving off to Gulden for the shot at goal. As our primary KPF for the future, you'd like to see him taking those shots himself. If not at training, how can he be expected to do it in match situations??
    You do understand that this is a training drill yeah?
    And that in a game, giving a handpass is an option available to a player. Particularly one running away from goal, to someone running towards it.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    You do understand that this is a training drill yeah?
    And that in a game, giving a handpass is an option available to a player. Particularly one running away from goal, to someone running towards it.
    Better to ignore the absurd

Monday morning training went from around 9am-12pm.

- The group doing light training is starting to do a bit more. They usually do light skills drills, high knee exercises and straight line running. But they are starting to do change of direction agility drills, ball movement drills and practicing leads. Of that group Naismith is further back. He does static exercises and straight line running. Malachy/Dawson joined that group at the start for skill drills, took it easy for most of the session and did a bit of running around the oval. I think I saw COR just hanging around on the side for a little bit but don't think he got involved.

- The main group did the usual warmup, skill and ball movement drills. But there is starting to be more of a focus on match sim. Initially I think it was 14 vs 10 resetting once it got turned over. But then they did 10 vs 10 with 2 players in yellow bibs joining whichever team was in possession. Which allowed both teams to get a chance to attack after each turnover. Also there is going to be more minor collision injuries like corks as there is more contact with players colliding and light tackles.

- The 1st year players had a lighter training load. So they sat out the extra sprints and shuttle runs. But it was interesting for the future watching them kick the ball among themselves. Campbell was doing long passes to Mcdonald on the lead, who would mark it and give a handball to Gulden running past to take a shot.
    Thanks for your post Sean and great to hear about the two academy boys doing drills with McDonald. That's definitely a big part of our future there.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    It was more that they were working on their combination. It was the equivalent of McDonald tapping the ball down to Gulden running past him at pace.
    These kinds of plays would be practised at training. You never know if this could end up being used to kick the winning goal in a final or to win a premiership. (Jason Ball's taps to Davis and Buchanan in the 2005 finals come to mind here.)
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Good news.....George is fit and firing apparently.

Hewett fit and firing ahead of 2021 season - YouTube

Veterans List

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Great video, but the music!!!!
    Kill me now.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Kill me now.
    My wife is banning me from watching them because of the music!

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Kill me now.
    It's sort of like elevator music, where the aim is to make you suspicious of the other people in the elevator.

Veterans List
    Did I see Will Hayward get a couple of kicks?