Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 2021 pre-season general footy chat

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Come right out and say what you mean, Stevo. Don't have your surrogates do the talking for you.
    I think I should have just used a smile emoji....I just thought Bloods05's comment was funny.....but I'm guessing you were being sarcastic with your "all political parties in Australia condemn racism" comment. If not, you have been away too long.

Veteran Site Admin
    Yet another reminder to use this thread - this forum - for footy discussion. Further off-topic posts will be deleted. That includes posts where a footy-related comment is tacked onto a post that is otherwise off-topic.

Yet again, your are very welcome to discuss non-football matters but not on the footy discussion forum.

Veterans List
    Very NON political.....this is worth a look.

An overview of every AFL version of Monopoly - Titus O'Reily | Don’t have faith in yourself

Here's some choice cuts:

Adelaide

One of the more difficult versions. Players need to avoid the Ramsgate Hotel and any player who lands on ‘Gold Coast preseason camp’ has to stay there forever, listening to the Richmond Football Club theme song on a loop.

Carlton

Every player starts with a brown paper bag full of cash and, ignoring the normal rules, can just buy whatever they like. Instead of railway stations, there are various pokie venues players can buy.

Getting all four of these gives a player a disproportionate and destabilising amount of control over the board.

Collingwood

Every second square is a jail. Landing on ‘Just Parking’ means any other player can steal your token. One of the ‘Chance’ cards is the ‘Do Better’ report. If you get this, the player must spin the wheel included in the version. They just keep spinning and spinning it until the game ends.

Melbourne

Impossible to win, every player moves around the board and every square is something worse than the square before. Community Chest cards include ‘hire Mark Neeld as coach, go back ten years’ and ‘Draft Tom Scully and Jack Trengove ahead of Dustin Martin and Nat Fyfe, go directly to the Long Room and drink heavily, do not pass go.’

Three-quarters of the way around players can stop playing.

Richmond

Free Parking square has manure dumped on it so you can’t land there. Players accumulate ‘arrogance’ instead of money and the person with the most arrogance at the end of the game is the winner.

Each token is a bandwagon.

West Coast

As each player takes their turn, the other players must boo them constantly. Instead of passing ‘Go’ and collecting $200, the player is forced to relitigate the 2006 premiership with a Herald Sun journalist until they just want to scream.

Western Bulldogs

Nothing much good happens for most of the game, then something amazing happens, only to then return to mediocrity immediately. Whoever wins has to hand the victory to Bob Murphy.

Very funny Titus.....

Just came across this podcast interview with Lynne McGranger (Home & Away) who's been a passionate Swans supporter for 30 years, discussing her memories as a fan during that time. It was recorded last December. Goes for 65 mins but is an entertaining listen when you can make the time:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5Sl...Tb6fCqp2cOuq3g

Not sure where to post this. Here will do. This is a video about Tom Papley from a few years ago but worth watching again: Tom Papley: From Bunyip to the Sydney Swans - YouTube. Less than 3 minutes long.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Not sure where to post this. Here will do. This is a video about Tom Papley from a few years ago but worth watching again: Tom Papley: From Bunyip to the Sydney Swans - YouTube. Less than 3 minutes long.
    That's a brilliant 3 minutes. Tom's a special player from a great family. Thanks for the reminder.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Very NON political.....this is worth a look.

An overview of every AFL version of Monopoly - Titus O'Reily | Don’t have faith in yourself

Here's some choice cuts:

[B]Adelaide

One of the more difficult . . . . . .
    For those time poor

Sydney
    Every time you pass ‘Go’ you get $200 and a Cost of Living Allowance. One player gets the Buddy Franklin token but doesn’t get to actually play.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 17th February 2021 at 10:11 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

It's being reported that the AFL is looking to introduce a concussion fund for players. If the dollar values are correct, it suggests that they consider it to be a serious problem.

AFL considering proposal for landmark multimillion-dollar concussion trust for players | Concussion in sport | The Guardian

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    It's being reported that the AFL is looking to introduce a concussion fund for players. If the dollar values are correct, it suggests that they consider it to be a serious problem.

AFL considering proposal for landmark multimillion-dollar concussion trust for players | Concussion in sport | The Guardian
    We're about ten years behind the US when it comes to most things in sport, so it's probably time that concussion is taken more seriously.
    Not quite sure where all the money will come from though, besides the obvious source. Us.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    I thought my now deleted post was 100% football related....alas it didn't pass the test.

On a football note.....excited at the prospect of these two, along with Gould, strengthening our backline for years to come.

Melican and McCartin set to shine in backline

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post

This issue crosses my mind every time I see Jude Bolton on TV. How many times was he concussed in his magnificent career with us?