Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: 2021 pre-season general footy chat

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Half their best 22 are imports
    I think the path St Kilda are following will be adopted by more clubs going forward. "Organic" growth and development thru the draft will
    be seen by some clubs as too slow as a way of moving towards success. A large platoon of players staying at the one club for a long time
    together will likely become a thing of the past.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I think it will be adopted my most clubs, should such a patchwork / rag-bag team ever actually win a flag.

Until then I think at least most people will continue to view it as a sign of a dysfunctional club.

Our '05 and '12 teams both had 6 players from other clubs, and I think that's pretty high. I can't think of any premiership with less than 2⁄3 of the team recruited through the draft.
    The Tom Papley Backpack $39.99 from the RWO merchandise tab - if only!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I think it will be adopted my most clubs, should such a patchwork / rag-bag team ever actually win a flag.

Until then I think at least most people will continue to view it as a sign of a dysfunctional club.

Our '05 and '12 teams both had 6 players from other clubs, and I think that's pretty high. I can't think of any premiership with less than 2⁄3 of the team recruited through the draft.
    Hawthorn 2014/5 had 7 but that’s still less than 1/3

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Hawthorn 2014/5 had 7 but that’s still less than 1/3
    If you look at Hawthorn's current squad, they have (on my count) 16 players who started their careers at other clubs. Not all of those are first 22 players, and a couple had been delisted by their previous clubs before being drafted by the Hawks (rather than traded for or nabbed via FA). But that's still a fair chunk of their list.

By comparison, we have eight players currently on our list who started out at other clubs (presuming my fingers are working correctly).

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516