Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 pre-season general footy chat

2021 pre-season general footy chat

Couldn't find somewhere else to post this so am creating a thread. Think of it a bit like the 'Round X: the other games' thread but for the off-season. All things involving other clubs and footy generally that is not particularly related to the draft or whatever.

I stumbled across this list of footy's most popular and most hated figures and thought it was worth sharing: https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2021/2020/12/06/the-afl-most-popular-most-hated-rankings/. The most hated grab the attention more. Eddie is #1. Sam Newman #2. Easy choices. However I'm not sure I agree with Kane Cornes #3 ahead of Damien Barrett #5. I'm not sure the author even agrees with himself given what he has written about them. I pretty much agree with his assessment of those personalities. And I kind of like Kane Cornes. I like that he calls it the way he sees it and seems happy to put himself up on the public chopping block. With insouciance and good humour. Whereas Barrett just depresses and slightly repulses me with his self-importance. Although I concede he is relevant. Goodes is mentioned as a contender to be on both lists.

In other news, Collingwood have appointed new dual GMs of Football - Wagner and Maxwell: https://www.zerohanger.com/collingwood-name-new-dual-gms-of-football-2020-71361/.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Couldn't find somewhere else to post this so am creating a thread. Think of it a bit like the 'Round X: the other games' thread but for the off-season. All things involving other clubs and footy generally that is not particularly related to the draft or whatever.

I stumbled across this list of footy's most popular and most hated figures and thought it was worth sharing: https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2021/2020/12/06/the-afl-most-popular-most-hated-rankings/. The most hated grab the attention more. Eddie is #1. Sam Newman #2. Easy choices. However I'm not sure I agree with Kane Cornes #3 ahead of Damien Barrett #5. I'm not sure the author even agrees with himself given what he has written about them. I pretty much agree with his assessment of those personalities. And I kind of like Kane Cornes. I like that he calls it the way he sees it and seems happy to put himself up on the public chopping block. With insouciance and good humour. Whereas Barrett just depresses and slightly repulses me with his self-importance. Although I concede he is relevant. Goodes is mentioned as a contender to be on both lists.

In other news, Collingwood have appointed new dual GMs of Football - Wagner and Maxwell: https://www.zerohanger.com/collingwood-name-new-dual-gms-of-football-2020-71361/.
    There really need to be two lists: one for morons, which would have Adam Goodes at the top, and one for sensible people, which would have Sam Newman at the top.

Kane Cornes isn't worth hating, he's just a bit dull.

Kane Cornes is a bit anti-establishment for the usual AFL media buddy club. But I also like most of what he says.

Eddie and Sam are fantastic..

The game needs characters and more like them.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Eddie and Sam are fantastic..

The game needs characters and more like them.
    If you're into narcissists.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    If you're into narcissists.
    I'm not 'into' any footy person or celebrity. I'm certainly not into character assassination if I don't know someone personally.

Eddie and Sam are brilliant entertainment and provide great theatre. Love them or loathe them, they are great for the game.

I'm not 'into' any footy person or celebrity. I'm certainly not into character assassination if I don't know someone personally.

Eddie and Sam are brilliant entertainment and provide great theatre. Love them or loathe them, they are great for the game.
    Absolute nonsense. Newman has been a blight on the game for decades. His vicious tirades have no place on prime time television. McGuire, on the other hand, is merely tedious.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Absolute nonsense. Newman has been a blight on the game for decades. His vicious tirades have no place on prime time television. McGuire, on the other hand, is merely tedious.
    ^ This
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    Even if I were to excuse them their complete lack of self-awareness, their turgid smugness and their 1940s style racial profiling (which I can't see happening) it would be a rather dismal landscape if they truly fell into the 'brilliant entertainment' category.

They got nothing on these guys.

The Wiggles, Big Red Car - YouTube
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    Even if I were to excuse them their complete lack of self-awareness, their turgid smugness and their 1940s style racial profiling (which I can't see happening) it would be a rather dismal landscape if they truly fell into the 'brilliant entertainment' category.

They got nothing on these guys.

The Wiggles, Big Red Car - YouTube
    Hey I’m a Wiggles fan too. Would never knock them.

Sam and Eddie provide entertainment on many levels. Just mentioning their names and watching the triggered responses is just one.

Hey I’m a Wiggles fan too. Would never knock them.

Sam and Eddie provide entertainment on many levels. Just mentioning their names and watching the triggered responses is just one.
    "Triggered responses". That's pretty cheap. Alt-right catchcries are so 2016, and so inappropriate on a footy forum. This has nothing to do with Trumpish politics. Sam Newman is just a tiresome, self-involved, deeply damaged individual. He has been inflicted on us for far too long. His time is long gone.

And to repeat: Eddie McGuire is merely tedious. Tedious media personalities have always been part of the warp and weft of the football fabric, and it just wouldn't be the same without them. What would footy history be without Tony Charlton, Mike Williamson, Kevin Dennis, Peter Landy, Sandy Roberts, Brian Taylor? Eddie sits firmly in that tradition.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    "Triggered responses". That's pretty cheap. Alt-right catchcries are so 2016, and so inappropriate on a footy forum. This has nothing to do with Trumpish politics. Sam Newman is just a tiresome, self-involved, deeply damaged individual. He has been inflicted on us for far too long. His time is long gone.

And to repeat: Eddie McGuire is merely tedious. Tedious media personalities have always been part of the warp and weft of the football fabric, and it just wouldn't be the same without them. What would footy history be without Tony Charlton, Mike Williamson, Kevin Dennis, Peter Landy, Sandy Roberts, Brian Taylor? Eddie sits firmly in that tradition.
    +1

I might add that Eddie would be way at the bottom of that list you mentioned at the end. With the exception of him and maybe BT, all of the others would easily pass the Swans 'no dickheads' policy.

As for the 'triggered responses' bit.....well, I'm with you there.....because of course the world needs more people like those whose biggest 'attribute' is to 'trigger responses'. So positive and needed right now.....

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast