Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Season 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    New to this so not sure who is right, but points where i come from bring the top teams down. Bottom teams do nothing and stanard drops

Great to see a bit of banter. Didn't think was any in Sydney until I saw this. Nothing at all on the local comp any where - bit boring

Just quitely how happy with yourself would you need to be to call yourself Tom Wills on a footy forum

I have said it before here but the points system is pointless and not fit for purpose. As you say - "but points where I come from bring the top teams down. Bottom teams do nothing and standard drops". This is what points systems are for in developed footy markets - i.e. equalisation to a level that is still acceptable to all. A bit like equalisation in the AFL itself. In Sydney the standard is way too low overall for first grade footy for a major city (and its a massive city), so if you are doing things like this to bring better performing clubs back a peg or too (or make their life harder - I have to agree with Bomber on those aspects) you are just dragging things down to a lower level and turning people off, which is what they are doing with this policy. I saw the salty remarks above and did some asking around and I have to agree its pretty unethical having the fellows who brought in the scheme in all their wisdom now exploiting it in their new club related roles (looks and smells bad). Tom Wills, you are ordinarily one of my favourite posters so I will say this Tom - there can and should be policies in place to help clubs improve and develop. A points system is not this though, promotion/relegation provides a club pathway and there was/is criteria. If Clubs can recruit well in one year and create junior connections etc go for it - but do it without AFL policy assistance and intervention, like other clubs have done over time without league assisted short cuts. The points system is objectionable overall as it is pulling other clubs down/restricting them and its open to subjective implementation by officials as designed - see unethical comment above - for goodness sake in Sydney let the coaches pick their best available teams not fit them to someone's overnight dream of a scheme. This is NOT the way to continue the development of a still developing footy market which has yet to reach appropriate levels in terms of football standard or club development. Get rid of the points system and give all clubs a green light (and help them) to reach the highest standards they can in appropriate competitions for their stage of development.

Without some kind of controls in place or points system the premiership invariably goes to the club with the biggest budgets which at the moment seems to be the Unis and North Shore, or those prepared to mortgage their club’s future by going in to massive debt like East Coast did a few years ago. Is that what we want?
    Also it encourages clubs to work with junior clubs to develop them in to 19s then seniors. Another good thing. It has already forced UTS to do that. Surely helping transition players from juniors to seniors is a good outcome too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    Without some kind of controls in place or points system the premiership invariably goes to the club with the biggest budgets which at the moment seems to be the Unis and North Shore, or those prepared to mortgage their club’s future by going in to massive debt like East Coast did a few years ago. Is that what we want?
    Also it encourages clubs to work with junior clubs to develop them in to 19s then seniors. Another good thing. It has already forced UTS to do that. Surely helping transition players from juniors to seniors is a good outcome too?

I think the list of Premierships provided in the chain above proves that there has been a mix of premiers, all with different points of difference/advantages, so your comment is just not factual and is plainly incorrect [the ECE dynasty is a bit of an anomaly I concede]. Off field leadership is the most important factor I'd say in on field sustainability, and that's volunteer unpaid community tragics, club led, not league driven. On your juniors point, geez if you have to be forced in this era you probably don't belong in the upper parts of the local footy pyramid - or you wont end up being there longer term - should you be handed stuff on a special league embossed plate...no, you should earn it, just like your kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    I think the list of Premierships provided in the chain above proves that there has been a mix of premiers, all with different points of difference/advantages, so your comment is just not factual and is plainly incorrect [the ECE dynasty is a bit of an anomaly I concede]. Off field leadership is the most important factor I'd say in on field sustainability, and that's volunteer unpaid community tragics, club led, not league driven. On your juniors point, geez if you have to be forced in this era you probably don't belong in the upper parts of the local footy pyramid - or you wont end up being there longer term - should you be handed stuff on a special league embossed plate...no, you should earn it, just like your kicks.
    I disagree with your assessment. With the exception of Pennant Hills the Premiers have all put significant funds in to attracting and paying players. UNSW and Sydney Uni definitely have good bank accounts to play with. Towers and Jack didn’t come cheap, plus others too I’m sure. Syd Uni we know through NEAFL and Uni support has big budgets. East Coast did until they virtually went belly-up, and Manly almost went broke paying players.
    Who won without big budgets?

Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    I disagree with your assessment. With the exception of Pennant Hills the Premiers have all put significant funds in to attracting and paying players. UNSW and Sydney Uni definitely have good bank accounts to play with. Towers and Jack didn’t come cheap, plus others too I’m sure. Syd Uni we know through NEAFL and Uni support has big budgets. East Coast did until they virtually went belly-up, and Manly almost went broke paying players.
    Who won without big budgets?

The only thing that's come cheap is the misinformation Andrew, do not assume nor categorise success in recent years at UNSW with Money or the NEAFL because you are completely misinformed. The club success has been built on junior pathway's relations and an extremely hardworking volunteer group who has been able to align community, academia and sport. The common thread is leadership, quality coaching and culture amongst the well run and sustained successful clubs, it has nothing to do with PPS or money. Penno, STG, North Shore and East Coast are extremely well run clubs all built on the same principals, Manly and inner west have had success as has Sydney University. Camden is new and will take some time but is in a massive growth area.

I disagree with standard of the competition as at top end, it has improved a lot over the last 3-4 years and would safely sit competing with any other major country leagues, and If we get leadership from our governing body and some decisions would likely jump to a state based competition that is sustainable and I think the new leadership will make those tough calls. Academies have helped but its still the clubs that are teaching the kids life skills and good club coaching and leadership underpins everything.

Do yourself a favour and find the time to come and watch a game of reserve grade premier football, there are plenty of good quality players playing for the well run clubs that would be stars elsewhere, its about culture and leadership something that we have lacked locally from our governing body. Then if you get some more spare time, come and watch a premier colts game as well, listen to the coaches and get an understanding of culture.

The senior competition in Sydney is competitive but its also respectful, so please show a little respect to both Dean & Brandon who have been integral in game and standards development locally post their AFL Careers. And if possible we want more people like these guys giving back to local community football across the entire competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Puppy View Post
    The only thing that's come cheap is the misinformation Andrew, do not assume nor categorise success in recent years at UNSW with Money or the NEAFL because you are completely misinformed. The club success has been built on junior pathway's relations and an extremely hardworking volunteer group who has been able to align community, academia and sport. The common thread is leadership, quality coaching and culture amongst the well run and sustained successful clubs, it has nothing to do with PPS or money. Penno, STG, North Shore and East Coast are extremely well run clubs all built on the same principals, Manly and inner west have had success as has Sydney University. Camden is new and will take some time but is in a massive growth area.

I disagree with standard of the competition as at top end, it has improved a lot over the last 3-4 years and would safely sit competing with any other major country leagues, and If we get leadership from our governing body and some decisions would likely jump to a state based competition that is sustainable and I think the new leadership will make those tough calls. Academies have helped but its still the clubs that are teaching the kids life skills and good club coaching and leadership underpins everything.

Do yourself a favour and find the time to come and watch a game of reserve grade premier football, there are plenty of good quality players playing for the well run clubs that would be stars elsewhere, its about culture and leadership something that we have lacked locally from our governing body. Then if you get some more spare time, come and watch a premier colts game as well, listen to the coaches and get an understanding of culture.

The senior competition in Sydney is competitive but its also respectful, so please show a little respect to both Dean & Brandon who have been integral in game and standards development locally post their AFL Careers. And if possible we want more people like these guys giving back to local community football across the entire competition.
    A couple of things:
    Every week I do attend Prems, Reserves, 19s games as well as Men’s Div 2 and at least 1 women’s games so I know more than you assume about the games standards.
    Plus I am actively involved in the running of one of the clubs you say are well run, and have been for the last 10 years so I also know more about what it takes to run a successful club than you assume.
    So before you make assumptions about someone you don’t know and insult me you should find out who I am and what I do.
    Yes there is more to club success than just money (look at Wests) but no one can deny the influence money has in attracting players to the top clubs. Clearly the bigger the budget the better the players a club can attract. That’s just common sense. If you deny this then you are the ignorant one. Would Towers and Jack be at UNSW if they weren’t well remunerated?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Puppy View Post

At the end of the argument I think the only person that you are convincing that money has nothing to do with success is yourself.
    No one else on this site would believe that.
    Not even Dunkley believes that, otherwise why would he spend tens of thousands of the club’s money on recruiting and retaining players?
    Get real Old Puppy.

Heard a decent one too…. Key figure Sydney AFL walked last week.

Too close to ex afl employees???

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456