Page 20 of 72 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 VFL discussion thread

Opti-pessi-misti
    Yay! At last some positive feedback on Will Gould. Jeremy Laidler in his update on the players and their performances v GWS last Sat.
    (AFL Sydney Swan's site) says:

"He had a really strong game. He was strong in the contest and competed at a high level for four quarters. He needs to back it up and do it consistently to put his name up for senior selection"

I was also pleased with the feedback on Gould and am hoping that both he and Ling make the grade for inclusion in the firsts.

Yes I would love to see a competitive beast like Gould make it. He is taking longer than we would like but he is inching there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Yes I would love to see a competitive beast like Gould make it. He is taking longer than we would like but he is inching there.
    Is he really though? We had no reserves footy last year and he only joined at the end of 2019. Yes he had some SANFL experience, but its a big leap from any state league up, and we as a club have 'history' in giving defenders fairly significant apprenticeships at reserves level before they get his chance.

Positive to read good feedback from Laidler about him however, sounds like they want to see 3 or 4 weeks straight of that from him before he might be into the picture for seniors footy (unless of course injuries or terrible form etc push him up the queue quicker).
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Not sure if this has already been posted but here are the best players:

VFL Match Centre - GameDay

L. Taylor, J. Rowbottom, R. Clarke, K. Brand, H. Morrison, J. Bell

R3 and R4 announced, and both of our games will be on Kayo

VFL fixture round three, round four: Roos, Demons to light up Marvel

R3 Sydney Swans vs. Geelong Saturday 1 May 2.35pm Tramway Oval
    R4
    Casey Demons vs. Sydney Swans Sunday 9 May 11.05am Casey Fields

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    R3 and R4 announced, and both of our games will be on Kayo

VFL fixture round three, round four: Roos, Demons to light up Marvel

R3 Sydney Swans vs. Geelong Saturday 1 May 2.35pm Tramway Oval
    R4
    Casey Demons vs. Sydney Swans Sunday 9 May 11.05am Casey Fields
    Do you know if the game v GC on tv?

It isn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Do you know if the game v GC on tv?
    In round one, of the 8 games that weren't on Kayo, 5 of them popped up on YouTube. So I suppose there's some chance of that happening? Though if that was case, probably the club would mention it beforehand?

Kayo has some freebie games and last week was one of them but unfortunately it doesnt seem to be the case this week. GWS v footscray was a freebie last night and was also on fox footy channel. On that Footscray were significantly stronger than GWS

Watched all but the first 10mins of the VFL match at Tramway last week.

I was particularly keen to see some of the next level players:

W. Gould
    J. Rowbottom
    C. O'Riordan
    H. McLean
    M. Ling
    D. Stephens

also some of other players from past years:

C. Sinclair
    S. Gray
    R. Clarke
    L. Taylor
    B. O'Connor
    J. Armetey
    K. Brand
    R. Fox
    P McCartin

The missing players were Stephens (Medical Sub) and Fox (still injured). Here is my assessment of their performances:

W. Gould:
    Very hard at it, but needs to find some power in his running. He has pace but needs to build up speed and was consistently beaten to the contest.
    Will have issues against small forwards that can get lost in transition.

J. Rowbottom:
    Consistently won every one on one contest. Sharked ball well at stoppages, delivered well into forward line, used sparingly.

C. O'Riordan:
    Did not have a good game, looked better suited to zone defence. Kept losing his man and found it hard to win his own ball. Looked short of a run seemed to be picking the game up again after a stint in the home country.

H. McLean:
    Clearly our most decisive and consistent winner. Dominated the forward line. Brutal in aerial contests and fiercely competitive.

M. Ling:
    Looked to be struggling to get into the game. Still seems to be learning how to position himself and contribute when playing in defence. Was much more impressive with the ball and roaming around the midfield and creating the loose man.

C. Sinclair:
    Dominated the ruck contests against Flynn and company. Played on the ball for extended intervals. Unusually did not take many contested marks, drifted into defence regularly to assist against Hogan.

S. Gray:
    Played on the wing and was a valuable contributor and link in forward moves from defence. Won a lot ground balls and consistently hit targets.

R. Clarke:
    In my opinion our best player. Won the ball, made excellent decisions, converted chances and brought others into the game. Really good game and must be pressing for selection on that form.

L. Taylor:
    Very busy but in my opinion that is exactly the problem. Some of the places and occasions when he calls for the ball actually place himself or others under greater pressure. He needs to be more considered in his judgement and seek to relieve pressure on his team mates before playing on or "taking" a possession.

B. O'Connor:
    Still a work in progress. Opposed to the 2nd tall, he was sound without impressing. Generally able to bring the ball to ground, he appeared more comfortable scrapping in one on one situations than protecting a leading lane or reading the play from upfield.

J. Armetey:
    A little disappointing. I thought he might make a bigger impact, especially after seeing his form in the intraclub matches and practice games. Did well in marking contests but looked lost when the ball was on the deck and needs to work harder defensively.

K. Brand:
    Played on Jesse Hogan for the game and although Hogan kicked 3 goals, I thought his contribution was very sound. He assisted others around him, was good on the ground, looked to organise when possible and generally looked calm and assured.

P McCartin:
    Wasn't sure what to expect. He played the game off the FB/HB line picking up the 2nd and 3rd tall. Clearly more comfortable with ball with creating play than defending but was earnest and hard working. Did not commit to many marking contests but when in possession of the footy he was compelling. His skills are extraordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    Watched all but the first 10mins of the VFL match at Tramway last week.

I was particularly keen to see some of the next level players:

W. Gould
    J. Rowbottom
    C. O'Riordan
    H. McLean
    M. Ling
    D. Stephens

also some of other players from past years:

C. Sinclair
    S. Gray
    R. Clarke
    L. Taylor
    B. O'Connor
    J. Armetey
    K. Brand
    R. Fox
    P McCartin

The missing players were Stephens (Medical Sub) and Fox (still injured). Here is my assessment of their performances:

W. Gould:
    Very hard at it, but needs to find some power in his running. He has pace but needs to build up speed and was consistently beaten to the contest.
    Will have issues against small forwards that can get lost in transition.

J. Rowbottom:
    Consistently won every one on one contest. Sharked ball well at stoppages, delivered well into forward line, used sparingly.

C. O'Riordan:
    Did not have a good game, looked better suited to zone defence. Kept losing his man and found it hard to win his own ball. Looked short of a run seemed to be picking the game up again after a stint in the home country.

H. McLean:
    Clearly our most decisive and consistent winner. Dominated the forward line. Brutal in aerial contests and fiercely competitive.

M. Ling:
    Looked to be struggling to get into the game. Still seems to be learning how to position himself and contribute when playing in defence. Was much more impressive with the ball and roaming around the midfield and creating the loose man.

C. Sinclair:
    Dominated the ruck contests against Flynn and company. Played on the ball for extended intervals. Unusually did not take many contested marks, drifted into defence regularly to assist against Hogan.

S. Gray:
    Played on the wing and was a valuable contributor and link in forward moves from defence. Won a lot ground balls and consistently hit targets.

R. Clarke:
    In my opinion our best player. Won the ball, made excellent decisions, converted chances and brought others into the game. Really good game and must be pressing for selection on that form.

L. Taylor:
    Very busy but in my opinion that is exactly the problem. Some of the places and occasions when he calls for the ball actually place himself or others under greater pressure. He needs to be more considered in his judgement and seek to relieve pressure on his team mates before playing on or "taking" a possession.

B. O'Connor:
    Still a work in progress. Opposed to the 2nd tall, he was sound without impressing. Generally able to bring the ball to ground, he appeared more comfortable scrapping in one on one situations than protecting a leading lane or reading the play from upfield.

J. Armetey:
    A little disappointing. I thought he might make a bigger impact, especially after seeing his form in the intraclub matches and practice games. Did well in marking contests but looked lost when the ball was on the deck and needs to work harder defensively.

K. Brand:
    Played on Jesse Hogan for the game and although Hogan kicked 3 goals, I thought his contribution was very sound. He assisted others around him, was good on the ground, looked to organise when possible and generally looked calm and assured.

P McCartin:
    Wasn't sure what to expect. He played the game off the FB/HB line picking up the 2nd and 3rd tall. Clearly more comfortable with ball with creating play than defending but was earnest and hard working. Did not commit to many marking contests but when in possession of the footy he was compelling. His skills are extraordinary.
    Good summary. On Barry OConnor, I actually thought he was really good until he got hurt in the last quarter. Great agility.