Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 VFL discussion thread

Hope Paddy Mc goes well for him - even if he doesn't end up on our senior list at some point, would love to see him get to AFL level again, shown he has got over his awful issues with concussion and fulfill some of that enormous talent he showed as a junior.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Would wearing headgear help ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    Would wearing headgear help ?
    All the research that I've seen, states that while headgear does protect against gashes, scratches and bruises, it doesn't offer significant protection against concussion. This is largely because concussion is a whiplash injury; where the vulnerable, relatively long axons of the brain cells are sheared by the whiplash force. I've heard claims, that collapsing shell type headgear can lessen that force and help prevent concussion. Which sounds logical, but after a quick search, I couldn't find any evidence to back that up.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There's another name on that list that I don't believe was included in the original group of players announced. Looks like the club is embracing the idea of resurrecting the band of brothers that we enjoyed a few years back with the Jacks and Richards (Richardses?)
    Ricky & Michael O’Loughlin

Peter & Andrejs Everitt

Is there a fixture yet for this comp?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Is there a fixture yet for this comp?
    Not as far as I know. They said at the start of this month, that the fixture will be announced at the end of the month. All they've really said, is that it starts on April 17th and that each team will play 16 matches over 19 rounds. I guess that we would play a practice match or two beforehand. Probably against GWS.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    All the research that I've seen, states that while headgear does protect against gashes, scratches and bruises, it doesn't offer significant protection against concussion. This is largely because concussion is a whiplash injury; where the vulnerable, relatively long axons of the brain cells are sheared by the whiplash force. I've heard claims, that collapsing shell type headgear can lessen that force and help prevent concussion. Which sounds logical, but after a quick search, I couldn't find any evidence to back that up.
    The prevalence of CTE in American football would suggest it's not a total protection. The helmet does mean they lead with their head, a lot. But it's not stopping CTE occurring.

When does the ECAFL fixture commence?

I am assuming that the standard will be higher than NEAFL of past years, and the size of the squad will enable players to be tried in their development roles rather than plugging gaps to be competitive. The travelling will also assist in realistic experience for younger players.

There may be selection surprises, but that has not been Longmire's past policy, and the ECAFL might be a factor

To continue the subject of my own question earlier posed, the only AFL information I can find is from October announcing the teams. It states

The VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition will integrate into a streamlined calendar for men’s football with the 2021 NAB League Boys, with both seasons set to begin in April, running concurrently with the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

Not only what does that mean; but when do our second tier team get to strut their stuff?

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    When does the ECAFL fixture commence?
    According to Start date for East Coast VFL announced , "The new East Coast VFL season will begin on Saturday April 17"

I wonder if the Reserves team will get a run pre the Swans - GWS match this weekend.

Veterans List
    No info I can find on a season fixture, VFL dragging their feet, it is mid March already!

Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast