Page 143 of 529 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153193243 ... LastLast
Results 1,705 to 1,716 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Hi all,

Love the thoughtful and energised discussions above! Very interesting times as we approach a premiership window sooner than we had expected!! Do we go big at trade time, or put our faith in the list we have been building for a few years now?? Pros and cons to both! I lean towards keeping the faith in our current list. Let's see what they can do before we make any big decisions!
    The midfield debate is interesting.. we have two very young but exciting mids in Chad & Rowy.. plus some others who have been tried in there in a nod to the future.. Gulden, Campbell etc. Maybe they are the backbone of our next great midfield.. maybe they aren't.. I think Chad looks as close to a sure thing as we can get.. the rest a little more speculative. Gulden is certainly talented but his size may be a factor against him.. But we won't know until we try them. Give them 2 to 3 years to learn off each other while we still have Parker around to show them the way, and if by that time they don't look like they will have 'it', we can look at a Lipinski, Billings, Kennedy type. Those sorts of cheap mids are always available..

That is just my two cents.. looking forward to another off season of frenzied discussion with you all!

CHEER CHEER

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Very interesting times as we approach a premiership window sooner than we had expected!!
    WHo is this "we"?
    There was an off season conversation on RWO where it was suggested that the parrallels were such that 2021 would be our 2003, and 2023 would be our 2005.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Hi all,

Gulden is certainly talented but his size may be a factor against him.

CHEER CHEER
    Boomer Harvey says hold my beer😀

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Another Parker contingency idea.

Heeney to midfield full time and bring in Jack Silvagni from Carlton to play half forward. The Blues haven’t signed him.

I think he’s a talanted footballer who would not cost much salary cap or draft capital. May improve a lot due to a stable environment and playing away from a club where family expectation was massive. Just ask Josh Kennedy about moving away from an environment where your grandfather and father were legends. It can work out well.
    To be fair, Kennedy left hawthorn in search of sustained 1st team opportunities, not to escape the weight of 'family expectation' or similar.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Gulden is a very smart player. He comprehensively out bodied Lukosius on Saturday to take a mark. And I seem to remember a great spoil in defence a few weeks back on a player twice his size.

He’s already got a tank too.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Gulden is a very smart player. He comprehensively out bodied Lukosius on Saturday to take a mark. And I seem to remember a great spoil in defence a few weeks back on a player twice his size.

Hi markwebbos,

By no means am i knocking Gulden's ability.. he is a fantastic player in every facet! In heart and mind he could be an excellent midfielder! But when the whips are cracking we will need hardened, big bodies who are made for the contest! Gulden could do this in rotations, maybe even for a half .. but i doubt we will ever see him at 20 centre bounces like lads such as Chad and Rowy.. their bodies are made for that and that is where they thrive!

The Boomer Harvey comparison was a good one heh.. but it is a different era now .. the brutes like Oliver and Petracca and Bontempelli would monster Harvey ..

I like the idea of a 50/50 split with Gulden.. having a red hot crack in the contest.. and being given plenty of space off a forward flank or a wing.. he could be what we had hoped young Stephens would be??

Senior Player
    Hi markwebbos,

By no means am i knocking Gulden's ability.. he is a fantastic player in every facet! In heart and mind he could be an excellent midfielder! But when the whips are cracking we will need hardened, big bodies who are made for the contest! Gulden could do this in rotations, maybe even for a half .. but i doubt we will ever see him at 20 centre bounces like lads such as Chad and Rowy.. their bodies are made for that and that is where they thrive!

The Boomer Harvey comparison was a good one heh.. but it is a different era now .. the brutes like Oliver and Petracca and Bontempelli would monster Harvey ..

I like the idea of a 50/50 split with Gulden.. having a red hot crack in the contest.. and being given plenty of space off a forward flank or a wing.. he could be what we had hoped young Stephens would be??
    Maybe they might “ monster “ a smaller player but would they catch keep up or stop them from spreading the ball?
    Every position is only one outlier away from what is considered the norm the obvious exceptions being in the ruck.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

Yes, the idea that Gulden is too small, was probably the main reason that we got him for pick 32, rather than his rightful spot, around 30 picks earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Maybe they might “ monster “ a smaller player but would they catch keep up or stop them from spreading the ball?
    Every position is only one outlier away from what is considered the norm the obvious exceptions being in the ruck.
    I am quite certain he could be an asset in the midfield, i'm sure of it! But full time.. in the way that Chad for example could.. i think it could be a tall order (no pun intended heh..)

I believe young Errol could just be our best player sometime in the future.. do i see him being that as just a midfielder?? That is debatable.. i like him on a wing.. using the ball cleverly to our forwards.. i like him as a forward, pressuring and causing turnovers and kicking head-scratching goals!! I like him everywhere.. and i have a feeling JL might just feel the same! But we don't know.. this is all some time in the future.. i'd still like to see him in the mids every now and then, to give us a different look!

This whole dilemma would go away if we could just clone him lol!!!

Hi markwebbos,

Sorry but I can't agree with the suggestion that Errol's height (176cms) will force him into a more outside role. He may be better suited to that role anyway due to his kicking but if Lachie Neale (177cms), Dion Prestia (175cms), and Touk Miller (178cms) can do it amongst others then there is no reason Gulden can't in the future either.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Sorry but I can't agree with the suggestion that Errol's height (176cms) will force him into a more outside role. He may be better suited to that role anyway due to his kicking but if Lachie Neale (177cms), Dion Prestia (175cms), and Touk Miller (178cms) can do it amongst others then there is no reason Gulden can't in the future either.
    Sheer curiosity, but how tall are Papley and Cunningham?

And why can't we have these details on the club site as it used to be?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, the idea that Gulden is too small, was probably the main reason that we got him for pick 32, rather than his rightful spot, around 30 picks earlier.
    Absolutely this!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)