Page 155 of 529 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155156157158159165205255 ... LastLast
Results 1,849 to 1,860 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    So I’ve not seen Paddy play as a defender, so clueless on whether he’s the solution.

Regardless, I think we’ll need another option: which is, a +198cm style KPD who can take the next generation of 200-205cm monsters coming through - the Kings, the Darcy father-son, Hipwood, etc.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Re: Melican, Swans may have deliberately back ended his contract (ditto Hewett) to ensure that his final year $$ make him a RFA.

To me that’s good management.
    The only way Footywire could get projected FA status would be from the AFL, as they're the only ones who have every player's contract info. So Footywire is either just guessing or they got the info from AFLHQ and I don't see why the AFL would give that info to any outsider. But who knows for sure?

I don't think back ending contracts has anything to do with the player's FA status, but much more likely to do with having to push back the payroll to have enough to pay Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    So I’ve not seen Paddy play as a defender, so clueless on whether he’s the solution.

Regardless, I think we’ll need another option: which is, a +198cm style KPD who can take the next generation of 200-205cm monsters coming through - the Kings, the Darcy father-son, Hipwood, etc.
    From what I saw in the VFL, he was very good. When I was at the first Suns game, I watched him pretty closely. Like Tom, an excellent judge of the ball flight, which allowed him to slip past opponents to take intercept marks. Probably a bit stronger than Tom, so good in the one on one grappling. Disposal wise, he was kicking darts to team mates in good position. So, I'd be happy to see him get an upgrade to our regular list.

I also prefer a kpd with our first pick.

A Family Affair

We could have whole McCartin family playing for us.

Toby Conway

Ruckman
    204cm/90kg
    24/4/03
    Geelong Falcons/Vic Country
    The best pure ruckman in the draft crop and a prospect who can move around the ground, take marks and help out his teammates in defence by dropping into the hole. Conway played for the NAB AFL Academy in April and also Vic Country more recently, and has strong footy bloodlines on his side. He is a cousin of Tom McCartin at the Swans and former Saint Paddy McCartin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The only way Footywire could get projected FA status would be from the AFL, as they're the only ones who have every player's contract info. So Footywire is either just guessing or they got the info from AFLHQ and I don't see why the AFL would give that info to any outsider. But who knows for sure?

I don't think back ending contracts has anything to do with the player's FA status, but much more likely to do with having to push back the payroll to have enough to pay Franklin.
    My understanding is that a players free agency status is based only on the final year of their contract. They’d need to back end Melican more than others to push him into the top 25%. Supposedly that’s the story with George this year.

Senior Player
    A Family Affair

We could have whole McCartin family playing for us.

Toby Conway

Ruckman
    204cm/90kg
    24/4/03
    Geelong Falcons/Vic Country
    The best pure ruckman in the draft crop and a prospect who can move around the ground, take marks and help out his teammates in defence by dropping into the hole. Conway played for the NAB AFL Academy in April and also Vic Country more recently, and has strong footy bloodlines on his side. He is a cousin of Tom McCartin at the Swans and former Saint Paddy McCartin.
    It's as if a player was created to suit our exact situation.

My understanding is that a players free agency status is based only on the final year of their contract. They’d need to back end Melican more than others to push him into the top 25%. Supposedly that’s the story with George this year.
    That may well be true, but it leaves 2 questions unanswered:

1. Where does Footywire get the data to know who is in the top 25%?
    2. How are uncontracted players calculated for projected years, e.g. is George Hewett included as a top 25 % player for the 2023 Melican RFA status?

Actually, the projected FA status of a player is a very complicated affair and impossible to determine without knowing both the contract amounts and the rules of calculation.

I've been using the Footwire contract information as sacroiliac*, but I think I'll have to reconsider.

* Don't want to upset barry.

Off-season priorities
    Re sign-
    Parker, Hewitt Dawson, Fox and Reid

Trade/cut/ retire
    Ronke, Bell, Ling, Stephen’s, Naismith , COR,Sinclair

Onfield changes

Paddy Mcartin and Reid fight for full back position. Free up Rampe

Logan McDonald and Campbell must be ready for a 22 + finals game season

Amarty needs to be that second ruck/forward

Off field changes

Not much we have a good team trade up in the draft order for best available player

That may well be true, but it leaves 2 questions unanswered:

1. Where does Footywire get the data to know who is in the top 25%?
    2. How are uncontracted players calculated for projected years, e.g. is George Hewett included as a top 25 % player for the 2023 Melican RFA status?

Actually, the projected FA status of a player is a very complicated affair and impossible to determine without knowing both the contract amounts and the rules of calculation.

I've been using the Footwire contract information as sacroiliac*, but I think I'll have to reconsider.

* Don't want to upset barry.
    Those are very valid questions, particularly question number 2. I think that the AFL provides a list of RFA / UFA for each club each year without explaining how it arrives at those classifications. And that's what Footywire has used. I also think that players can change status as further information becomes available, or contract info is updated. So a top 25% player today may not be one when 2023 actually rolls around.

As an aside I have no problem with the S word being used to describe umpires or "the head". Preferable to "holy", "sacred" or "inviolable". I'm OK with the idea you shouldn't deliberately bump into Matt Stevic, but don't think a Stevic shrine, altar or human-sacrifice* is appropriate.

*Unless his surname is Greene.

2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I'm not clear at all about the current salary cap rules. Their have been so many adjustments due to Covid.

I thought there was a 5% slack in the cap, whereby a club could go over the cap by that much in 1 year, but would have to compensate by going under by a similar amount in future year(s). Could someone knowledgeable about this clarify what the rule actually is.
    I think that only works in reverse (ie. you have to first be under, and then you can spend the amount you ‘saved’ in subsequent years). Designed for bottom teams so they don’t overpay an ordinary list just to spend their cap, and then (in theory) helps them in subsequent years attract top players by having more money to spend as they get more competitive.

Pretty sure the 5% (if that’s the figure) is the minimum you have to underspend (so you don’t bank every single dollar you underspend - it has to be a significant amount to qualify).

I wouldn’t be totally shocked if we were keeping some money aside for an established player (not necessarily a star) - we are probably at the stage we know what gaps in the side we’re building for the future.

Otherwise I can’t see how/why we can’t re-sign at least Parker and Dawson - particularly if we make the hard calls on guys like Reid, Sinclair etc. Only other thing I can think is we’re already looking ahead to what it might cost to lock down the likes of Campbell, Gulden and McDonald and know we can’t push too much down the road.

I would definitely support trading our first pick this year into 2022. Maybe a bit pessimistic, but it would be a big ask for a punt in the mid teens to break into our side in the next couple of years, so they’d struggle for opportunities in the short-term, as Stephens has this year. We’d be better off with a second 1st round pick in 2022 which we could try and bundle with our own pick to trade up.

I don’t know the context, but saw quotes from Harley re: Hewitt - seemed to be over-emphasising the point that neither party had made any move to try and get a deal done.

Those are very valid questions, particularly question number 2. I think that the AFL provides a list of RFA / UFA for each club each year without explaining how it arrives at those classifications. And that's what Footywire has used. I also think that players can change status as further information becomes available, or contract info is updated. So a top 25% player today may not be one when 2023 actually rolls around.

As an aside I have no problem with the S word being used to describe umpires or "the head". Preferable to "holy", "sacred" or "inviolable". I'm OK with the idea you shouldn't deliberately bump into Matt Stevic, but don't think a Stevic shrine, altar or human-sacrifice* is appropriate.

*Unless his surname is Greene.
    Hahaha as I said yesterday, I'd be very happy for Greene's punishment to be put on a life raft with Stevic, and they are sent off to Antarctica/South America/wherever to live their lives out together....
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Swisha View Post
    Off-season priorities
    Re sign-
    Parker, Hewitt Dawson, Fox and Reid

Trade/cut/ retire
    Ronke, Bell, Ling, Stephen’s, Naismith , COR,Sinclair

Onfield changes

Paddy Mcartin and Reid fight for full back position. Free up Rampe

Logan McDonald and Campbell must be ready for a 22 + finals game season

Amarty needs to be that second ruck/forward

Off field changes

Not much we have a good team trade up in the draft order for best available player
    Too early to make this call on Stephens, unless he wants big $$ as there maybe plenty of upside. Warrants another 2 years. COR is a good squad player and maybe needed pending injuries.

Agree with the others you mentioned, but Naismith is on a contract, I think. We