Page 2 of 529 FirstFirst 1234561252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

We shouldn't jump to conclusions so fast. Maybe Squizzy was put on Coma Therapy to reduce the likelihood of pre-season injury.

Maybe they recruited him as a warning to the younger players?

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    It'b been brought to my attention that Buddy's salary cannot be altered, thanks 707. So he'll be earning only 1 mill in 2022, down from 1.6 - how much of that will all be needed to satisfy the expectations of the out of contract youngsters (see #1 above) ?

It might be that we could be looking beyond other clubs rejects and the bargain bins at the end of 2021, certainly in 2022 - which will be the first time we've been able to do this in a very long time.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 5th February 2021 at 07:50 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    It'b been brought to my attention that Buddy's salary cannot be altered, thanks 707. So he'll be earning only 1 mill in 2022, down from 1.6 - how much of that will all be needed to satisfy the expectations of the out of contract youngsters (see #1 above) ?

It might be that we could be looking beyond other clubs rejects and the bargain bins at the end of 2021, certainly in 2022 - which will be the first time we've been able to do this in a very long time.
    I'm guessing that the first part of it is going to be used for player retention, and after Franklin retires we go shopping.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Sydney's trade absence explained, the question Horse won't answer
    John Longmire on the challenges ahead for Sydney, list management, and more

'He'll play when he's ready': High hopes for Swans' top pick McDonald
    Sydney won't force games into Logan McDonald, but is confident he has a role play in 2021

Stray thought #1: I wonder if the recruitment of Ben Matthews, who has spent 7 years as Melbourne FC's midfield coach, will help us target one of their star mids if we want to bring in a bigger fish mid (e.g. Brayshaw, Oliver, Petracca) by way of trade or free agency as we get a bit more salary cap later this year, or a lot more later next year? Which is not to say I think we necessarily need to do that. I guess on the one hand we have posters on RWO crying out for a 'gun mid' to be traded in, and we have JPK's career winding down. Then, on the other hand, we have a lot of young talent who may collectively be the perfect solution as they develop, gain experience and improve meaning we don't need any extras. Time will tell.

Stray thought #2: for all the people that reckon Brett Kirk's shift into player development and welfare has effectively been a demotion, I note that Sam Mitchell at Hawthorn FC has made the same transition from midfield coach to head of development. Dennis Carroll was previously in charge of player welfare for us and nobody would have trash talked his immense contribution to the club in that role. Kirk's role seems to be even larger than Carroll's remit was because he is responsible not just for welfare but also player development, which is a whole other thing. I think we're just playing to Kirk's strengths.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

tray thought #2: for all the people that reckon Brett Kirk's shift into player development and welfare has effectively been a demotion, I note that Sam Mitchell at Hawthorn FC has made the same transition from midfield coach to head of development. Dennis Carroll was previously in charge of player welfare for us and nobody would have trash talked his immense contribution to the club in that role. Kirk's role seems to be even larger than Carroll's remit was because he is responsible not just for welfare but also player development, which is a whole other thing. I think we're just playing to Kirk's strengths.

I agree - anyone who can inspire Nick Davis the way he did or still be regarded by Nat Fyffe as one of his mentors must have something going for them at the person to person level

Does anyone know who our midfield coach is? Here are the existing roles as far as I can tell:

Horse - head coach
    Pyke - opposition analysis and strategy
    McVeigh - forwards
    Cox - ruck and strategy
    Matthews - defense
    Kirk - welfare and player development
    Laidler - reserves

That leaves a hole in the guts, unless I've missed something. Or rather ... someone.

By the way, I love Matthews being back and would love for us to pinch one of their midfield talents as floated by bloodspirit.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    tray thought #2: for all the people that reckon Brett Kirk's shift into player development and welfare has effectively been a demotion, I note that Sam Mitchell at Hawthorn FC has made the same transition from midfield coach to head of development. Dennis Carroll was previously in charge of player welfare for us and nobody would have trash talked his immense contribution to the club in that role. Kirk's role seems to be even larger than Carroll's remit was because he is responsible not just for welfare but also player development, which is a whole other thing. I think we're just playing to Kirk's strengths.

I agree - anyone who can inspire Nick Davis the way he did or still be regarded by Nat Fyffe as one of his mentors must have something going for them at the person to person level
    Also instrumental in the rise of Lachie Neale

I think Cox is midfield as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    I think Cox is midfield as well.
    Yes, I think it's Cox, but I can't find any documented evidence to back that up.