Page 3 of 529 FirstFirst 12345671353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, I think it's Cox, but I can't find any documented evidence to back that up.
    Given our deficiencies in that area in the last couple of seasons, are you surprised? I'd have been tempted to shred my letter of appointment rather that take public responsibility.
    Still with a new ruck, and a plethora of options for the other follower roles, I have high expectations.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Melbourne have revealed that the reason they have chosen to invite Majak Daw to train with them instead of Paddy McCartin is because they don't think Paddy McCartin will be ready to play round 1 but Majak Daw will be: Why Melbourne chose Majak Daw over Paddy McCartin to train with the club (sen.com.au). Not sure the reason Paddy won't be ready to go. Maybe just too long out of the game and needs to work his way back to be ready to play at AFL level?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Melbourne have revealed that the reason they have chosen to invite Majak Daw to train with them instead of Paddy McCartin is because they don't think Paddy McCartin will be ready to play round 1 but Majak Daw will be: Why Melbourne chose Majak Daw over Paddy McCartin to train with the club (sen.com.au). Not sure the reason Paddy won't be ready to go. Maybe just too long out of the game and needs to work his way back to be ready to play at AFL level?
    I would suggest P. McCartin needs a few games in the lower grade to confirm he has recovered and is up to playing without any head clashes and concussion issues.

It would have to be risky for the clubs to take on any player with known concussion conditions. Slow and steady is a good approach IMO.

Either he could has said no to both the Blues and the Demons due to a commitment from the Swans. (Or speculative banter.. 'do we wonder if there is any history if his previous coach (Alan Richardson) as the demons have not publicly passed him over'..)

If fit would be another layer to our depth if we can get him on the track.

OMG - If you're worried that the 44th player on your list needs to be ready for round 1, I think your club must be in deepest doo doo.

To be fair, the Demons have Ben Brown injured and Sam Weideman out for a while and some kind of question marks over Tom McDonald. So, as far as their KPFs go, they are in some doo doo. Not as bad as we were last year when nearly every KPF and ruck we had was injured.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Ah, deep injury doo doo as distinct from various other sorts of doo doo

I hope Ben Brown does really well, I thought he'd be wrong for the Swans but I find him hugely entertaining.

Afl.com.au have posted an article about Academy draft prospects this year: A Lockett in Suns colours? It could happen - but will they have to match a bid? (afl.com.au)

For the Swans they mention:

Fresh from a bumper Academy crop that netted them top-five pick Braeden Campbell, gun midfielder Errol Gulden and rookie Marc Sheather, the Swans don't have the same top-enders available in 2021.
    Marco Rossman, a running midfielder who was eligible for last year's draft, will be an option while Austin Ball, a small forward with sharp skills, key forward Liam Puncher and runner Felix Rogers also among those likely to be monitored.

Veteran Site Admin
    Afl.com.au have posted an article about Academy draft prospects this year: A Lockett in Suns colours? It could happen - but will they have to match a bid? (afl.com.au)

For the Swans they mention:

Fresh from a bumper Academy crop that netted them top-five pick Braeden Campbell, gun midfielder Errol Gulden and rookie Marc Sheather, the Swans don't have the same top-enders available in 2021.
    Marco Rossman, a running midfielder who was eligible for last year's draft, will be an option while Austin Ball, a small forward with sharp skills, key forward Liam Puncher and runner Felix Rogers also among those likely to be monitored.
    I think the one from last year's crop to keep an eye on (assuming he's staying with the academy, rather than moving interstate to try his chances in another league) is Kye Pfrengle. He's the third of a trio of strong-marking blondies who caught my eye back in 2018 playing in an U16 academy match against the Giants out at BISP. (The other two were Campbell and Sheather.)

IIRC he was born late in the year and, based on limited viewings last year, is still gangly. He's taller than the other two, and looked to be developing as a key backman. He impressed as a mobile tall defender in an U18 game last year, in tandem with another blondie (this time Sam Gaden - who I thought might be a sneaky chance to claim a Cat B rookie spot this in last years's draft as an overager, but who I read has now moved to SA to give the SANFL a go).

Just looking around to see if there was any mail on the 2021 draft prospects. I found:

Twomey did his profile of 10 top prospects back in December: Eye on the future: 10 draft prospects to watch in 2021 (afl.com.au)

AFL Draft Central has something about their top 21 draft prospects: A look ahead: The 21 top prospects for 2021 - Aussie Rules Draft Central

Jason Horne, a midfielder from South Australia, is the early frontrunner to be #1 pick in a draft with lots of mids at the high end.

To recap on our 2021 draft hand at this stage: we gave our 3rd rounder to West Coast (as part of the deal for Hickey, who we paid handsomely for) but we retain our first and second round picks (free of any penalties!). Hopefully get a couple of good players with those first two picks if we still hold them when the time comes around.

I think we'll be well placed to trade picks with the draft this year. Our needs shouldn't be too desperate (apart from a ruck, which won't have to cost the earth) and so we will be able to just see what opportunities present. We might get good value trading back. Given that 2021 was already tipped to be a strong draft, and will be further strengthened by some players who missed out last year, there should be good value picks down the order. By later in the season we'll also have a better idea about whether we need picks for any Academy prospects in 2022.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll just add this list that shows which clubs hold which picks at this stage: Future pick trades: Who you should barrack against in 2021 (afl.com.au).

On this matter, George Hewitt, Luke Parker and Sam Reid(??) are all free agents next year.

I am loathe to see any of them at another club. Can we hold them all?

Surely Sam Reid is already a free agent. And he's out of contract this year. I think we'll hang on to him because he'll prefer to stay and he's worth more to us than to most other teams (because we have limited KPF depth).

Parker isn't going anywhere.

Hewett is a more interesting case. I'm a big fan of of him (for reasons I outlined in more detail last year). I especially love that I feel confident when the ball is in his hands he is going to use it well. Competition for his spot is going to heat up as our youth develop. I think he's good enough to retain his spot and be a midfield bull for us, especially after JPK retires. But, he may be courted by SA clubs and, if he wants to go for family reasons (he's a young dad now - not sure where his partner hails from) and they come hard, then it's possible we'll lose him.

Update re Hewett: neither his partner, Alice, nor Hewett have family in Sydney: Swans mid grateful after son's 'exciting but scary' arrival (afl.com.au). Nice article that throws light on the challenges George faced last year.