Page 439 of 529 FirstFirst ... 339389429435436437438439440441442443449489 ... LastLast
Results 5,257 to 5,268 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    I don’t know about the younger brothers. They may play other sports, prefer surfing or be into dramatic arts. They may be chess players, gamers, entrepreneurs or hard core academics.

Let them find what they enjoy. It may not be football like the two older brothers.
    Troy is sporty and plays footy; Ashton is captain of his footy club and showing promise, already turning out as a bottom ager.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Most likely they'd be into making cartoons. Family tradition.
    thought this one deserved more plaudits

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Aren't you enjoying the ongoing courtship being played out in front of our own very eyes

I suspect you are probably right re: Reid. Look I still think its a no brainer if he is on a fairly small contracct. We have very little to lose - if he gets his body right and finds form, we have a player still well and truly good enough to contribute at AFL level. If he doesn't, or his form doesn't get to the right level, he will be a good influence on younger players coming through in the VFL context. There is very little to lose - yes he takes up a list spot, sure I get that. But my assessment is the opportunity cost is pretty low with keeping Reid around another year, with a very small possibility that we could get a good payoff from it.
    Biggest knock on Reid is that he's regularly injured. But when fit, he's our second best key forward behind Buddy and is definitely a threat. Maybe he can remain relatively injury free and make a significant contribution in 2022. Here's hoping 🤞

If Reid is so good, why did they refuse to play him in the latter half of the year? Or were they avoiding a trigger clause?

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    thought this one deserved more plaudits
    I agree. It's a good one indeed!

But that clapping emoji annoys the hell out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Aren't you enjoying the ongoing courtship being played out in front of our own very eyes

I suspect you are probably right re: Reid. Look I still think its a no brainer if he is on a fairly small contracct. We have very little to lose - if he gets his body right and finds form, we have a player still well and truly good enough to contribute at AFL level. If he doesn't, or his form doesn't get to the right level, he will be a good influence on younger players coming through in the VFL context. There is very little to lose - yes he takes up a list spot, sure I get that. But my assessment is the opportunity cost is pretty low with keeping Reid around another year, with a very small possibility that we could get a good payoff from it.
    Agreed, I’d say we’d be paying a modest salary. If so then why not.

IF he can keep on the park then I could see him doing a job for us in defence.

Good competition across the park for spots in 2022

I like the re-signing of Reid but really hope it's because they are looking at rejuvenating his career as a defender! If he can stay on the park and have a strong pre-season and train with the defence I reckon he has a lot of physical tools to make it a success like a lot of former forwards have over the years.

At the very least he'll provide solid depth to our squad and I'm sure he's not on a huge contract so this year is huge for him as he could extend his career for another 3 or so years if he successfully makes the transition!

Finger's crossed for Sam (and the rest of us) that he does!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    I like the re-signing of Reid but really hope it's because they are looking at rejuvenating his career as a defender! If he can stay on the park and have a strong pre-season and train with the defence I reckon he has a lot of physical tools to make it a success like a lot of former forwards have over the years.

At the very least he'll provide solid depth to our squad and I'm sure he's not on a huge contract so this year is huge for him as he could extend his career for another 3 or so years if he successfully makes the transition!

Finger's crossed for Sam (and the rest of us) that he does!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    Gardner hinted at him playing in defence when discussing Reid’s future at the end of trade week-ish
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I really like the idea of picking up Maibaum. Was 2020 or 2019 he looked great in 2 pre season games and was all set for round one but got injured then delisted?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    If Reid is so good, why did they refuse to play him in the latter half of the year? Or were they avoiding a trigger clause?
    I don't think anyone is suggesting he will be an 'automatic in' to the team next year. And his form this year was ordinary, that's why he didn't play I suspect. But a good pre-season and an injury free run and he might be able to make a good contribution to our fortunes in 2022. The upside with him if he does get fit and firing is worth the risk.

Not sure about trigger clauses but I doubt it - his omission towards the end was form based surely.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    As long as we don't fall for the Daniher family Essendon disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Gardner hinted at him playing in defence when discussing Reid’s future at the end of trade week-ish
    So we are going to have a key position defender who is 32, and hardly ever played defense, and is injury prone..

He can only be a backup to McCartin in case he gets injured.