Page 44 of 529 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Now ive seen everything !

Parker isnt going anywhere will be our captain for the next TWO YEARS at least !
    I think so, however it’s never a done deal until the paperwork is signed. Kennedy has signed his paperwork for next year.

Cal Twomey & Chanel 9 Adelaide report Crows interested in out of contract Jordan Dawson.

They’ll have to get in line

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Is Luke Parker still to commit to the Swans beyond 2021?

Is he holding out for a big free agency offer?

He is 29 next year. Is he looking out for a substantial 3 year offer from Victoria?
    Don't be daft. Parker is going nowhere. I agree with TB that he is likely to remain Captain for a while yet.

The club is keeping all its contract talks far from the limelight, as is typical of everything for the Swans, since they can get away with it. Not sure the order of priority but clearly Parker is one of the higher ones. I can't see Stephens going anywhere either but I can understand some slight anxiety while we're waiting for him to re-sign. Other priorities include: McCartin, Dawson, Gould and Hewett. We started the season with more than half our list out of contract at the end of the season. So far I think we have only re-signed JPK and Warner.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    We have more than two rookie listed players. I think we must have 5 Cat A, since we are listed as having a spare spot, and the maximum is 6. Fox and Gray were specifically moved to the rookie list from the senior list at the end of last season to open up spots in the National Draft. Carruthers was then taken in the rookie draft. That means two out of McLean, Amartey and Wicks must also be rookies.

We also have two Cat B rookies in O'Connor and Sheather.

Apart from the Cat B list, the distinction is a bit ridiculous nowadays.
    Correct full list of our rookies Liz

TV news tonight in Adelaide made my stomach churn - lead story in sport was Crows with their big salary war chest have offered Dawson a big four year deal. Went on to say that he is also being looked at by Melbourne clubs but the Crows should have front running as his home state.

If he asks for a trade that would put a fair dent in our rebuild, a vital cog IMO
    Last edited by 707; 19th May 2021 at 10:31 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

TV news tonight in Adelaide made my stomach churn - lead story in sport was Crows with their big salary war chest have offered Dawson a big four year deal. Went on to say that he is also being looked at by Melbourne clubs but the Crows should have front running as his home state.

If he asks for a trade that would put a fair dent in our rebuild, a vital cog IMO
    I think we should have the front running as we are in his current home state. He's on our list.

If other clubs weren't sniffing around, people would be upset that other clubs don't rate our good players. So it is to be expected.

In his recent interview (ahead of last week's 50th game) he sounded, in his understated kind of way, pretty settled in Sydney, happy at the club, and positive about where the club was headed. Of course, until he signs there is a possibility he'll be lured elsewhere, but there's a higher likelihood he'll recommit to the Swans.

In the medium term (ie once Buddy's contract is expired) we should be in as good a spot as pretty much every other club to offer him the kind of contract he deserves. Don't we keep telling ourselves how young and (relatively) unproven our squad is. He is clearly a valued player and I doubt the Swans would be looking to lowball him.

We've had a lot of South Australians on our list over the last couple of decades, and I can't recall a single one who has been lured "home". Fitzgerald left, but he was pushed (I believe). I know we have a few on here who call SA home (or once did) so I won't speculate on the relative attractiveness of living in Sydney vs Adelaide (cost aside). Dawson doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would relish the chance to hang out in Adelaide pubs and clubs and receive the attention and adulation of the local media and populace. He comes across as someone who likely enjoys a level of anonymity (though maybe I'm completely off base).

I feel we now have the foundation of our next premiership side so re-signing players like Dawson, McCartin and Stephens is critical. I'm not surprised to read that Dawson is being offered a good deal by the Crows. We need to offer something competitive but not stupid. We are certainly closer to our next flag than the Crows.

Dawson is from Robe, not Adelaide. I agree with liz, I don't think we'll lowball him and the high probability is that he stays.

The media story could well be engineered to pump up his contract. Which is not to say that the interest is not real, I'm sure it's real. But that's to be expected.

Fortunately, if he does choose to go and we have to negotiate, Adelaide is not going to finish bottom and won't be able to get too much leverage out of the PSD option to screw us. I think he'd be worth pretty close to their first pick. Also he'd be a great loss but is not one of our hardest to replace players.

For the AFL's most improved — including Jordan Dawson, Hugh Greenwood and Darcy Cameron — success comes in different ways - ABC News

Article about the development and improvement of three players, two with a Swans connection. Dawso's success comes as no surprise to us and has been a long while coming, far from overnight. Whereas Darcy Cameron does appear to have made even bigger strides this year than Hayden McLean. I shouldn't rue us not getting Hugh Greenwood (because there's not really space for him in our side alongside JPK, Parker, Mills etc) but I do a bit because I was agitating for us to get him in the off-season before Gold Coast did just that and his success leaves me feeling vindicated but sorry we weren't the beneficiaries.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    For the AFL's most improved — including Jordan Dawson, Hugh Greenwood and Darcy Cameron — success comes in different ways - ABC News

Article about the development and improvement of three players, two with a Swans connection. Dawso's success comes as no surprise to us and has been a long while coming, far from overnight. Whereas Darcy Cameron does appear to have made even bigger strides this year than Hayden McLean. I shouldn't rue us not getting Hugh Greenwood (because there's not really space for him in our side alongside JPK, Parker, Mills etc) but I do a bit because I was agitating for us to get him in the off-season before Gold Coast did just that and his success leaves me feeling vindicated but sorry we weren't the beneficiaries.
    Darcy cameron will be 26 in two months time ! He is no spring chicken , McLean is 22 ! No comparisons

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Nice play by Dawson's manager there. Remember: for every extra $25,000 he squeezes out of a contract negotiation, that's an extra grand in his pocket based on the standard rate.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Nice play by Dawson's manager there. Remember: for every extra $25,000 he squeezes out of a contract negotiation, that's an extra grand in his pocket based on the standard rate.
    What's your source for this? I'd be surprised if they only get 4%. Not a comparable situation but art galleries typically take 50% of the sale price. In lots of other industries agents often get commissions significantly higher than 4%. Managers do a fair bit of work for their clients and I would guess (and I'm only guessing) they'd get more than that. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a fair bit of variability depending on the level of services provided by the player manager.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    What's your source for this? I'd be surprised if they only get 4%. Not a comparable situation but art galleries typically take 50% of the sale price. In lots of other industries agents often get commissions significantly higher than 4%. Managers do a fair bit of work for their clients and I would guess (and I'm only guessing) they'd get more than that. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a fair bit of variability depending on the level of services provided by the player manager.
    the player agents work on between 2-4%