Page 433 of 529 FirstFirst ... 333383423429430431432433434435436437443483 ... LastLast
Results 5,185 to 5,196 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

But back to the footy….I really want a big, ball winning midfielder. So the likes of Ward, Rachelle, Roberts and Sonsie don’t get me excited at all. Horne-Francis and Callaghan will go top 5 while Erasmus and Hobbs look like top 10. But that leaves a few others. I love the look of Goater, then Johnson. Hopefully we can get one those. I see that Draper is tall but “strength” is listed as one of his weaknesses! I love the look of Hobbs. A couple of phantoms have him in the top 6 but then again others have him down at 19. Genuinely strong ball winner. Be very happy with any of these three and think that they should be the priority. Second pick #33 we should pick up a tall.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    But back to the footy….I really want a big, ball winning midfielder. So the likes of Ward, Rachelle, Roberts and Sonsie don’t get me excited at all. Horne-Francis and Callaghan will go top 5 while Erasmus and Hobbs look like top 10. But that leaves a few others. I love the look of Goater, then Johnson. Hopefully we can get one those. I see that Draper is tall but “strength” is listed as one of his weaknesses! I love the look of Hobbs. A couple of phantoms have him in the top 6 but then again others have him down at 19. Genuinely strong ball winner. Be very happy with any of these three and think that they should be the priority. Second pick #33 we should pick up a tall.
    You might consider Owens then. He's fairly around our first pick and stands 190 cm. Blake Howes is another the same size although not quite so highly rated - Cal Twomey has him at #29 in his form guide. Chesser is listed at 186 cm to Drapter's 185 cm.

We could do a lot worse than Goater - I wouldn't be disappointed if we got him, just mildly surprised. Interestingly, Goater has slid from Chris Doerre's top 10 a couple of months ago to outside his top 20 now.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    On Brander, this is from the AFL article on his delisting:

"He hopes to land at a club where he can play as a third tall forward."

Not for us then.....

West Coast axes versatile tall Jarrod Brander
    Picks 10-14 from 2017 draft not looking great with O'Brien, Bonar, Fogarty, Brander and Ling either struggling to impact at AFL level or in the last 2 cases, de-listed. Pick 15 has turned out to be the gun in that part of the draft, Zac Bailey. Such a shame we didn't get him. Ed Richards at 16 is a favourite of Ludwig's although he's struggled to cement his spot. We took Tmac and Stoddart that year so essentially got 1/3 right. Would people view that as a bust of a year's trading or average?

The Replacements - The Mongrel Punt - considers how we cover the losses of Dawson and Hewett.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd call our 2017 draft a bust but there was no foreseeing Ling's injuries and we at least struck gold with Tommy McCartin.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The Replacements - The Mongrel Punt - considers how we cover the losses of Dawson and Hewett.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd call our 2017 draft a bust but there was no foreseeing Ling's injuries and we at least struck gold with Tommy McCartin.
    There was some suggestion that Ling had that injury before we drafted him. If so, terrible oversight by our medical team at the time. Interestingly, the sports medicine department was given a complete overhaul last year with Damian Raper, a sports physio, put in charge. I feel that he had a terrific year, with Buddy and Heeney playing most games, as well as Hickey who was busted after the GWS game.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

- - - Updated - - -

That Mongrel Punt piece is a really good analysis.

If I'm keen on anything next year, it's parking McInerney back on a wing round 1 (with Heeney starting on the other) and leaving him there. I know he can do the job down back, but this guy is a bona fide star, a pure winger and his capacity to run up and down a wing all day with the benefit of smart ball use going inside 50 and goal kicking is something special. Hell, we even saw one game he can go into the centre square for bursts and do it brilliantly. He's tough, a great kick, a gut runner, a terrific mark and a natural born winger. As good as any kid we have.

And the Rowbottom comparison is a good one for Hewett. We didn't see the best of him this year, as the early knee injury robbed him of his power, but a good off season and he'll get it back. We did see in that GWS final a reminder of how much he loves to fight, scrap and maul in the contest. Get him in there as our notional tagger, and when he gets his body back to 100 percent, his offensive game will lift too.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    WA Combine - Cory Warner first in 2 km time trial 6 min 20 sec so he's got stamina and apparently speed and can play - Have we got a suitable pick for him?

Wolftone on BF said about academy products next year " One is a medium high marking forward, the next Cappa, the second a highly talented ruck prospect and the third a utility, wing, HB, hf, inside mid. Apparently the Nicholls kid, utility, is supposed to be super fast"

Is there anyone on here know enough about the 2021 academy players to confirm whether this is accurate? If it is and with the 2021 picks we hold then next year could be a bumper intake for us.
    Last edited by 707; 18th October 2021 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    That Mongrel Punt piece is a really good analysis.

If I'm keen on anything next year, it's parking McInerney back on a wing round 1 (with Heeney starting on the other) and leaving him there. I know he can do the job down back, but this guy is a bona fide star, a pure winger and his capacity to run up and down a wing all day with the benefit of smart ball use going inside 50 and goal kicking is something special. Hell, we even saw one game he can go into the centre square for bursts and do it brilliantly. He's tough, a great kick, a gut runner, a terrific mark and a natural born winger. As good as any kid we have.
    Completely agree!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    WA Combine - Cory Warner first in 2 km time trial 6.2 min

Have we got a suitable pick for him?
    Interestingly, I think he will go around the same spot as his brother and we currently have that exact pick (39).

WA Combine - Cory Warner first in 2 km time trial 6.2 min

Have we got a suitable pick for him?
    Yes, our third (or potentially even our second) pick. I'm not especially keen to pick him just because he's Chad's brother. Depending on who we take with our first pick, I think we probably need a tall defender with our second.

Veterans List
    Yes, our third (or potentially even our second) pick. I'm not especially keen to pick him just because he's Chad's brother. Depending on who we take with our first pick, I think we probably need a tall defender with our second.
    We're a family club, Paddy McCartin is the KPD we need, so we can take Corey with a 30's pick :-)

Senior Player
    We're a family club, Paddy McCartin is the KPD we need, so we can take Corey with a 30's pick :-)
    But it hasn’t worked out that well for us with the Richards and Jack siblings, even though I love the family connections.