Page 434 of 529 FirstFirst ... 334384424430431432433434435436437438444484 ... LastLast
Results 5,197 to 5,208 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The Replacements - The Mongrel Punt - considers how we cover the losses of Dawson and Hewett.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd call our 2017 draft a bust but there was no foreseeing Ling's injuries and we at least struck gold with Tommy McCartin.
    Hmmm RB a tagger , fascinating

I wish i made a bet , would 've cleaned up on here

The only slight worry I have for 2022 is the historical "2nd year blues".

The Mongel Punt only required Campbell to step up.

The output of Gulden this year was very significant and will be needed again while McDonald will continue to be nursed along - so, injuries permitting should not be too critical

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

A lot of Clubs announcing post-trade period delistings at present. I would imagine we may make a few similar announcements in the next couple of days. Still no confirmation on the Wicks re-signing.
    Last edited by Aprilbr; 18th October 2021 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    His review is very light on detail, in particular where he views his best position(s) will be moving forward. Really sums up my concern about Bell in that his skill level across the board is lacking (at this stage) such that there's no real best fit for him. I do however admire his ticker and he's certainly gives good effort. Just not sure it will ultimately be enough.

Veterans List
    I watch a bit of the True Footy youtube channel hosted by a WC fan (Jesse) but he's ok and has pretty good analysis skills with trades and footy in general. He has a vid up atm looking at potential trades next year. Reckons we made a play for Tom Barrass during this trade period which "wasn't widely reported" but WC knocked back our offer. He didn't say what that offer might be. Now reckons we'll make a big play for Barrass at next seasons end and reckons he may well make the move as a RFA......then goes onto say that WC, because they can match the Swans offer and force a trade, will probably make Logan McDonald part of that trade.

AFL 2022 TRADE PREDICTIONS - YouTube

I like the idea of getting Barrass....but no way will Lomac* be part of the trade!

* Lomac? Cool or not cool?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Funny that Ladhams chose to come to us and it was KB who provided him with the very honest and harsh feedback prior to his draft.

Seem to remember that it was also KB who gave Hayward some harsh fitness feedback prior to his draft :-)
    Which should provide reassurance to anyone concerned we've not picked up any attitude issues.

He seems genuinely keen to make the most of the opportunity.

It might be worth bidding on Bodhi Uwland if he is still on the board at our 3rd pick. He's highly rated on some draft boards e.g. #13 by Chris Doerre aka Knightmare. He is tied to Gold Coast Academy but they have traded out points for matching him. Actually, I'm a bit confused about what the Suns are going to do because they have to take at least 3 at the draft but they've only got one pick. Are they going to trade back in? Are they going to upgrade two rookies?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    His review is very light on detail, in particular where he views his best position(s) will be moving forward. Really sums up my concern about Bell in that his skill level across the board is lacking (at this stage) such that there's no real best fit for him. I do however admire his ticker and he's certainly gives good effort. Just not sure it will ultimately be enough.
    Pretty hard to tell what his skill level is because he doesn't get the pill too often. The number one basic of the game; get the footy.

Talking about the draft, first, I agree with the strategy that (assuming no further pick trading) we probably will, and probably should, go with is a midfielder with our first pick and a tall with our second. This is partly because midfielders, after KPFs, are good players to spend high(ish) draft picks on. And it is partly because, looking at this year's draft, it seems that most of the KPD candidates are positioned more closely to our second and third picks.

Considering tall key position players, obviously in the extremely unlikely event that Mac Andrew or Josh Gibcus (or maybe even if Jye Amiss less surprisingly) slid to our first pick we could select them. But realistically van Rooyen is the only tall to be around the pick 18 mark at this stage. Whereas there seem to be a number of likely KPD types who could be on the board at pick 31 (Bazzo, Alleer (although Chris Doerre has him at #9 in his phantom form guide), Schlensog etc).

Conversely, with midfielders, there are a number of good options, including Goater. Others include: Sinn, Sonsie, Roberts, Knevitt, or Chesser, or Owens, or Johnson. A few of those are tall mids whose late growth means they might bolt up the boards. The main reason I am slightly doubtful that we will select Goater is that, all other things being equal, we have tended to shun Vic Metro players in recent years - Olly Florent being a significant exception to that tendency.

I really like the look of Darcy Wilmot if we are interested in a small defender (a position some have suggested we need): Darcy Wilmot highlights | 2021 NAB AFL Draft prospect | AFL - YouTube. Sadly, he looks like he might fall between our first and second picks (and also he's a Vic Metro player). I'm going to hope he slides through to our second pick.

I think a great draft for us might be: Roberts, Wilmot and Alleer (although I doubt Alleer will last that long - but that's what would make it great!).
    Sinn feels a need and will allow Jmac to play on a wing . Sonsie looks like a safe bet . We should be able to grab someone that all going well should be able to play a few games early next year .
    Some of the Vic players are unknown quantities so would expect a few left field picks during the draft . This draft will really sort the good recruiters out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, our third (or potentially even our second) pick. I'm not especially keen to pick him just because he's Chad's brother. Depending on who we take with our first pick, I think we probably need a tall defender with our second.
    Apparently the Warner’s school midfield coach rates Corey as more advanced than Chad at the same age.

If Chad is anything to go by then Corey would be a terrific bloke as well.

It might be worth bidding on Bodhi Uwland if he is still on the board at our 3rd pick. He's highly rated on some draft boards e.g. #13 by Chris Doerre aka Knightmare. He is tied to Gold Coast Academy but they have traded out points for matching him. Actually, I'm a bit confused about what the Suns are going to do because they have to take at least 3 at the draft but they've only got one pick. Are they going to trade back in? Are they going to upgrade two rookies?
    I’m pretty sure that the Suns can still preselect their academy kids and get them without using a pick. They just magically appear on their list. It means they can draft one player using their only pick and two from their academy for free.