Page 19 of 529 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119519 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Hayward may be well suited to the faster style of football that we are now playing but as he has been out of the team we do not know.

In terms of re-signings, Stephens, McCartin and Parker (free agent) are priorities for me.
    I think read somewhere a few weeks ago, that McCartin was very keen to sign up again. So hopefully that's correct. He's really shaping as a future All-Australian defender.

And it may have been in the same article, that somebody compared him to Ted Richards. Which I think is pretty apt. While neither could be classed as having express pace, Tom, like Ted did, constantly beats his opponent to the drop of the ball. Or similarly, arrives just in time to spoil. And their onfield manner is much the same, both in looks and demeanour: upright posture, a tendency to mark the ball with arms stretched high and quietly efficient reliability.

Yes, I posted up some quotes from McCartin that were published in a newspaper article last week. He said that he loves Sydney and the Club and is hoping to have a deal completed soon.

The comparison of him to Ted Richards is apt although there is a bit of Grundy in him too! I still feel we are short another good tall defender. Regrettably, I don't think Melican is the answer unless he shows significant improvement.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    By the way, can we all remember a crucial element of our recruitment strategy - Tom Papley's right foot.

If he hadn't blundered so many opportunities in that final round against Geelong, we'd have skipped ahead of Hawthorn on the ladder.

They would have bid on Campbell, forcing us to take him, and we would have been denied another pick to get at McDonald.

So for being such a bad kick that day, Tommy: all is more than forgiven, we love what you did, and you've now got a great new pal down in the forward 50, you cunning little rat.
    I say the same thing to Carlton supporters about us coughing up a 7 goal to zip start against them last year - best loss we could ever have!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Hayward’s an interesting one.

Between some injuries and having to play in a forward line without much KPP support around him, he’s struggled the past 24months.

My instincts are if you dropped him into a forward line surrounded by Bud, Reid, Logan, Heeney and Papley, he’d do well. But right now, there’s not a spot for him in our mix and he will have to work hard to earn it.
    Completely agree - an obvious talent that we have invested significantly in (acknowledging the sunk cost fallacy inherent there) who has struggled for various reasons - some within his control, some without - who would likely flourish in the current environment. But when his chance comes isn't at all clear...

Naismith extended to 2022

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Naismith extended to 2022
    Good news, the Ressies will need a ruckman!

THRILLED with these re-signings!!

Naismith - Determination personified! Imagine those days spent in the dungeon, training, recovering, waiting to run out onto the field again. He deserves to do so!! Go get em Cray!!

Blakey - the LIZARD! We are only just seeing a trickle of what this young man is capable of!! The word there being YOUNG - he wont get it right all the time but hes a rare talent who can make the unpredictable look natural! I saw his comments that he isnt seeing a lot of it on the wing in our corridor based game atm, fear not Nick. There will be plenty of times in the future where we wont be able to use the corridor and our wingmen like Blakey and McInerney will become SO much more important!! Then we will see the best of him and why he was our FIRST pick in what has turned out to be a great draft!!

Warner - THE CHAD!!!! My goodness - who saw this coming?? He plays with such raw power and is still a teen! He is brilliant, he moves through traffic like a hovercraft!! Explosive leg speed! Wonderful finishing skills! Hard as nails!! Everything you could want in a young midfielder. Extraordinary. He is younger than my youngest son!! Am i getting old or are these draftees getting more and more capable???? The scariest part is as TheBloods has said .. this is what Chad is doing 5 games into his career.... what will he be doing in his 20th game?? Just what could this boy become??

Rowbottom - He is a contentious member of the squad it seems, but i confess myself a believer. He oozes quality. Very tough and very no frills. Head down, bum up! Its a good DNA to have as a footballer. He will be a cog in the midfield machine for a long time if he continues on his trajectory. Looking forward to seeing what he can do when he returns from his bone bruising.

What a time to be a Swans supporter !!!! I cant remember so much excitement around the club since our days of playing finals!! Rising Star nominations! Big wins! High scores! Re-signings! BUDDY! Its wonderful. Let it continue into tonight! Cheer cheer!!

A big one floating out there is wicks. On his third one year rookie deal on minimum wage. I imagine a decent 3 year senior list spot at another club would be hard to resist.

I expect Wicks will be staying on a much better deal!

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    A big one floating out there is wicks. On his third one year rookie deal on minimum wage. I imagine a decent 3 year senior list spot at another club would be hard to resist.
    I'd be very surprised if Wicks ends up anywhere else. He's been excellent playing his role this year but I doubt he would command large offers to be the number 1 small forward at a club just yet.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I expect Wicks will be staying on a much better deal!
    He will get a suitably priced contract extension playing where he wants to play with long term mates and for an exciting team going places.

Would not be showing any interest in approaches from any other club.

Exciting batch of re-signings, the world is so positive at the Swans at present, let's ensure a (good) win against the Injectors tonight

I'm not entirely sure whether this is the right thread for this, but here goes anyway:

We all know how the new rules are helping us offensively. There has been some discussion about how they impact our defense.

Working in our favour is that zone defense is much more vulnerable to the new rules (as evidenced by our smashing of Richmond, Brisbane and GW$'s defeats of Collingwood). Swans tend to play one-on-one (and we'll be up against man-on-man GW$ on Saturday).

But the faster ball movement also means (1) the ball comes in quicker to the FWD line (2) defensive "systems" are less able to be used, (3) there are a lot more one-on-one contests, so effectively defenders need to be able to defend their direct opponents.

I also think it means teams are more likely to use the "three headed beast" formation (3 talls).

All of which means I think we are going to struggle defensively with guys playing on much taller opponents, less 3rd man intercepting, less pressure up the ground etc.

Which makes the resolution of the Melican/Brand/TBA situation all the more urgent.