Page 450 of 529 FirstFirst ... 350400440446447448449450451452453454460500 ... LastLast
Results 5,389 to 5,400 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Regular in the Side
    i wouldnt mind us recruting Rhett ruzzo . a key def at 195

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    That's a pretty big list of flops and average performers. Luckily, we have made up for that with later picks who turned into excellent midfielders eg Hanners, Parker, Hewitt, Jack together with some brilliant trades eg Kennedy, McGlynn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Agree. So disappointed with our first round picks that are not academy or F/S since McVeigh.

Think Towers, Ling, Florent (ok), Lamb, Johnston, Rohan (a number 6 pick!), Vespremi, Willougby, O'Keefe.

Jetta was a star whilst with us, and it is early days for Logan and Campbell, but really we have done far far worse than 50% success rate with our 'live' first round picks.

Are our top 30 picks realy signifcantly worse that other clubs? Or is it just a perception issue? I think you'd need to do a serious comparison to settle that question.

Just to pick a single example, the much maligned Dean Towers.

Sure he only played 57 games, which seems pretty poor for a pick #22 - but who should the Swans have taken instead? Kamdyn Mcintosh has done well at the Tigers, but the only other notable (and non Father Son / Rookie elevation) pick after Towers was Tim Membrey (who we also picked up).

I'm not saying Towers was a great choice, but the pickings were awefully thin that year.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

We have Ronke, Bell and Clarke to finalise. Is there anyone else?
    Maybe give them 1 year if we can afford, otherwise just keep Clarke for depth.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    We have Ronke, Bell and Clarke to finalise. Is there anyone else?
    Maybe give them 1 year if we can afford, otherwise just keep Clarke for depth.
    Final list lodgement before the draft will give the status of our very fringe players. Sometimes one year contracts for this type of player goes unreported.

For those lamenting our first round draftee performance, I reckon Geelong with the supposed maestro Stephen Wells at the helm has a long list of first round flops, if someone wants to check that out and post it?

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by WomblingFree View Post
    There’s very little risk with our academy draftees as we’ve seen them for up to 8 years. Risk free drafting is a huge advantage
    It is a big advantage although we didn't use it when we drafted Abe Davis and Jack Hiscox.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    It is a big advantage although we didn't use it when we drafted Abe Davis and Jack Hiscox.
    Reckon they were "political" in that we felt some form of obligation at that point in history to match. The Academy process is more mature now, if we think the bid is too early, we won't match. Angus Anderson a likely draftee this year either very late or rookie?

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    i wouldnt mind us recruting Rhett ruzzo . a key def at 195
    Sounds like something Scooby-Doo would say.

Foxports has an article: every clubs biggest issue for 2022. According to Fox, ours is for the next generation of mids to step up and take over from Parker and JPK.

Pretty spot on I reckon

AFL news 2021: Every club’s biggest issue, 2022 preview, analysis, strengths and weaknesses, list review

Agreed, Mark, although I would add the need to draft in a strong key defender - someone who could develop into another May from the Dees. Strong enough to nullify the gorillas from other teams but also add some intercept marking.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Agreed, Mark, although I would add the need to draft in a strong key defender - someone who could develop into another May from the Dees. Strong enough to nullify the gorillas from other teams but also add some intercept marking.
    I dont recall any gorillas really taking us to the cleaners last year at all. I think this is a fictitious problem purely based on a perception of what might happen based on the height of our defensive group, not what actually did happen.

May is a tall intercept mark, not a wrestler. We used to have one of the best who went by the name of Allir Allir, and we sold him at the market for some trinkets.
    Club doesnt think we need them.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I dont recall any gorillas really taking us to the cleaners last year at all. I think this is a fictitious problem purely based on a perception of what might happen based on the height of our defensive group, not what actually did happen.

May is a tall intercept mark, not a wrestler. We used to have one of the best who went by the name of Allir Allir, and we sold him at the market for some trinkets.
    Club doesnt think we need them.
    Jesse Hogan in the final.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Jesse Hogan in the final.
    That Gorilla only 'monstered' us for 2 goals. It wasnt a gorilla that cost us the game, it was inaccurate forwards.