Page 451 of 529 FirstFirst ... 351401441447448449450451452453454455461501 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,412 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

There were a few games that stick in my memory where our defense struggled this year: the final against GWS where they kicked 6.1 from about 8 inside 50s in the second quarter; Lobb in one of the Freo games; the Hawks game where they blocked McCartin effectively.

I think AA was unable, for whatever reason, to reach his full potential at the Swans

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I'm betting Reid will be played in defence this year and if fit, I'm predicting he will lock down one of the KP spots. It will subsequently leave Melican, Gould and O'Connor as depth, with the possibility of PMac joining the queue. Fox has shown he can play as a third tall (albeit short!). It does make me wonder whether we need to draft a tall with our first rounder given that it's often hard to predict who will kick on with KP size players. Drafting midfielders seems to be more reliable. So I think we should just go with the best available midfielder. Who that is, I'll leave it up to KB.
    Reid has been tried in defence some time ago. His first couple of matches, were OK. Then he met a, decent key forward. I think he got 4 kicked on him by half time. We lost the match at the SCG which was unusual at that time. I don't think he will be the solution there and turning 30 next year is on the way out the door to retirement. Hence a 1 year deal.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Reid has been tried in defence some time ago. His first couple of matches, were OK. Then he met a, decent key forward. I think he got 4 kicked on him by half time. We lost the match at the SCG which was unusual at that time. I don't think he will be the solution there and turning 30 next year is on the way out the door to retirement. Hence a 1 year deal.
    Reid is a backup to Buddy (maybe even behind others) and a backup to McCartin (again, maybe behind others).
    If he plays more than 3 games, our season is in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Foxports has an article: every clubs biggest issue for 2022. According to Fox, ours is for the next generation of mids to step up and take over from Parker and JPK.

Pretty spot on I reckon

AFL news 2021: Every club’s biggest issue, 2022 preview, analysis, strengths and weaknesses, list review
    Our midfield is entering into a 4 year period, which we might call the late-Parker era, which will be dependent on the continued development of a very promising group of young midfielders to add to the a strong core of Parker, Mills and Heeney.

We have to hope that Stephens and Gould can step up and become quality AFL players. The destiny of a few players, their success or failure, could make a major difference in the next few years. We also have a promising Marc Sheather to perhaps add to our midfield depth.

The big positive during this era is that there are no anticipated midfield retirements other than JPK. We will have 5 drafts to build on our midfield depth to get us to the next era, the post-Parker era, perhaps beginning around 2026. That's a lot of drafts to build upon.

We know things do go wrong. Players get injured. Some will want to leave. But overall, there's every reason to be positive about our midfield in the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Reid is a backup to Buddy (maybe even behind others) and a backup to McCartin (again, maybe behind others).
    If he plays more than 3 games, our season is in trouble.
    I tend to agree. After returning from injury he was ordinary. 11.12 in 16 matches. I think we have far better options now. We actually have options now. Before we had Reid and Bud and that was that. Sinclair was a, disappointment as a Forward/Ruck. Naismith getting injured all the time did not help. But now we have Mcdonald, McLean and Amartey.

Back, if we add a newly drafted tall defender we will have Melican, McCartin, O'Connor and new drafter with Rampe, Fox, Gould as back up who play tall. Rampe moves to the half back flank, Lloyd to the midfield, Fox back pocket on the small forward. Lloydy started as a winger/inside mid. He was good. But whan we had retirements he needed to go back. Time to unleash the beast. He is a fantastic kick, he makes good decisions and can kick goals.

If need be we Rookie Paddy McCartin. He would be good depth. We have some serious depth happening here.

Next year certain players will be delisted. Taylor is only still around because he has a contract. I have no idea why Clarke is still on the list. Ronke will have to improve considerably to hold his spot.

Reid had a couple of really outstanding games earlier in the year before he got injured... He's only one year older. I don't see why he can't attempt to capture that form again if his body lets him (and I know that's less than a 50/5o0 proposition)

Lots of good comments there. For us to push for Final 4 going forward we certainly need to lift in the midfield especially going forward given two aging stars in that area. The Dees midfield was a key to their success. There are three ways our midfield can develop from here:
    1. We draft in some potential future stars in that area.
    2. Hope that there will be sufficient natural improvement in our list to possess a couple of elite midfielders going forward.
    3. Try to buy them in from other Clubs like the Saints and Carlton.

While all three are reasonable options to pursue, we seem to be mainly banking on Option 2 at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Reid had a couple of really outstanding games earlier in the year before he got injured... He's only one year older. I don't see why he can't attempt to capture that form again if his body lets him (and I know that's less than a 50/5o0 proposition)
    He gets injured far too easily. It is his morphite frame. Same with his brother. The older a player who has thus sort of frame gets the more chance of soft tissue and tendon injury. Tendinitis is very common. I think due to the club only giving him one year his career ends at the end of 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Lots of good comments there. For us to push for Final 4 going forward we certainly need to lift in the midfield especially going forward given two aging stars in that area. The Dees midfield was a key to their success. There are three ways our midfield can develop from here:
    2. Hope that there will be sufficient natural improvement in our list to possess a couple of elite midfielders going forward.

While all three are reasonable options to pursue, we seem to be mainly banking on Option 2 at present.
    We have several players who can e put through the mids now. Gould played there a few times for Glenelg. Rampe played mids in the reserves sometimes. Lloyd started as a mid but we were strong in that area and had just lost Mal so he went back. Sheather, as you point out. Ronke was originally drafted as an inside/outside mid. Amartey could play as a mid he is faster than Kennedy and ferocious in the packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post

I'm not sure why you think we aren't trying to improve our midfield at the draft. Gardiner has said we are looking to do exactly that. And this might well be a good year to try and pluck an elite mid from outside the top-ten. Next year we'll have two first rounders (can't seem to remember why)

We've got a lot of players on our list who have the potential to become elite including: Heeney, Stephens, Campbell, Gulden, JMac (after attending a few centre bounces late this year), Warner, RB. We all think Mills will make it.

I wonder about option 3 this time next year when Buddy's salary is gone. If one of the above isn't demanding it, then we may well be in the market for an elite mid, but they are pretty hard to recruit...

We missed the top four by percentage this year, so I don't think we are a million miles off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    We have several players who can e put through the mids now. Gould played there a few times for Glenelg. Rampe played mids in the reserves sometimes. Lloyd started as a mid but we were strong in that area and had just lost Mal so he went back. Sheather, as you point out. Ronke was originally drafted as an inside/outside mid. Amartey could play as a mid he is faster than Kennedy and ferocious in the packs.

Amartey is really quick. Can't remember the game, but at a centre bounce he nailed someone really fast in a tackle and got HTB.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    That Gorilla only 'monstered' us for 2 goals. It wasnt a gorilla that cost us the game, it was inaccurate forwards.
    Kind of. We did kick inaccurately and it cost us in the end.

But Hogan was also inaccurate on some easy shots earlier, which might have made things a lot harder. Plus, we have up two soft goals from d50 stoppages earlier when Chad got slipped.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

That Gorilla only 'monstered' us for 2 goals. It wasnt a gorilla that cost us the game, it was inaccurate forwards.
    He hit the post twice and missed other opportunities. He should have had 6 goals and iced the game. Melican performance that day was worthy of the Malcolm Blight pathetic Pittman spray.