Page 145 of 529 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195245 ... LastLast
Results 1,729 to 1,740 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Suspended by the MRP
    Gulden will be a better mid than some of the list cloggers we have

I'm not clear at all about the current salary cap rules. Their have been so many adjustments due to Covid.

I thought there was a 5% slack in the cap, whereby a club could go over the cap by that much in 1 year, but would have to compensate by going under by a similar amount in future year(s). Could someone knowledgeable about this clarify what the rule actually is.

If the rule is in fact true, then it could be that the Swans have an overcap carry-forward going into next season which has to be rectified now. This could be part of current cap pressure facing the Swans this year. It sort of makes sense, since we have to pay Buddy 1.5 million in 2021 and the cap has been reduced by the AFL due to Covid.

It's easy to see how the club could get into salary cap problems. We probably were looking forward to Buddy's salary reduction next year, but it's all eaten up by the cap reduction.

It's very hard to say where any club actually stands with its TPP right now.

My early thoughts on how to get through this and sign both Parker and Dawson by taking the hard road, which I hope is not necessary:

I figure we could go into next season with the minimum 36 primary list players and only 4 rookies, plus Naismith on the LTIL if he doesn't retire. His list position could be taken by a ruckman recruited in the preseason or mid season draft, if needed.

We would trade or delist Brand, Gray, Hewett, Ronke, Reid and Sinclair. We would offer Taylor to another club for free and maybe even pay part of his wage for next season.

We sign Paddy McCartin and take 2 draft picks, and swap 1 pick into next year.

Ling, Bell and Clarke can stay on a low salary. If that doesn't work for them, or us, then we can delist then and replace with draft picks or low cost DFAs.

We should try to re-sign Stephens. But I would be open to a trade.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 26th August 2021 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Spot on- Rowy on the inside, together with Chad. However, we could do with another when Joey retires after next year.
    we already have him - Georgie!

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    we already have him - Georgie!
    Yes, I think George is great value, but I tend to think of him as our main tagger of opposition gun midfielders. I think many/some undervalue George and I wouldn’t trade him. Same goes for Sammy. I understand Ludwig’s take on list management and agree with all the others named, but I’m sure he would also agree that if at all possible, we keep George and Sammy.

TheBloods, who are the list cloggers you are talking about? Our top 26-28 players are all first teamers. The rest belong in the ressies and not up to AFL level at this stage.Quite a few will/should be traded or delisted at year’s end.
    See Ludwig’s post above. So they are not list cloggers at all.

Yes, I think George is great value, but I tend to think of him as our main tagger of opposition gun midfielders. I think many/some undervalue George and I wouldn’t trade him. Same goes for Sammy. I understand Ludwig’s take on list management and agree with all the others named, but I’m sure he would also agree that if at all possible, we keep George and Sammy.

TheBloods, who are the list cloggers you are talking about? Our top 26-28 players are all first teamers. The rest belong in the ressies and not up to AFL level at this stage.Quite a few will/should be traded or delisted at year’s end.
    I think there are times when players who would normally be classified as list cloggers become list fillers. I think this is one of those times.

Yes, in a perfect world I would love to keep both George and Reid, but in the current state of affairs, they are probably unaffordable and getting in the way of us doing some critical signings.

With a young talented list like ours there are capable players who are unlikely to get a game and unlikely to find a new home elsewhere, like Ryan Clarke, who can be a list filler. If parties agree, he can stay on the list as a depth player in lieu of going to the draft and filling his spot with a rookie. He's not keeping anyone from playing or realistically improving our list, because we can't afford another player who could improve our list. We may have a few spots for such players this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Boomer Harvey says hold my beer
    A favourite story of mine is when Boomer Harvey turned up for his first day of pre-season training soon after being drafted. One of the senior North players at the time apparently remarked, "Are we recruiting jockeys now?" to the great amusement of all players present at the time. They weren't laughing 400 plus games later! Boomer was taken with the number 47 pick in the 1995 draft. What a bargain.

Errol is a beauty who will build up over time. He will play in most positions for us over the journey.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    It is not just his height but his overall size, AB Swannie. Until he puts muscle on and can get himself to be a sizeable unit like Neale, Miller and the "human meatball" Prestia, he won't be as effective in the midfield! His overall build is still very slight - we worry about how green Chad, Rowy these boys are, but it's another level with Gulden! I'm not discounting it from happening - it will just take work, and a LOT of it! If he can't get his body to that stage then JL could very well decide to keep him as just a rotational mid .. to protect him! For his own good! Especially given how brilliant he can be in other areas!
    I will be looking a bit closer at Errol on Saturday. He looks a fairly solid unit already. He already plays up and down the ground and for his age has a huge tank. There will be no protecting this lad. May very well start at centre bounces this week.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Gulden will be a better mid than some of the list cloggers we have
    I suspect he will be an elite midfielder.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I suspect Gulden's footy IQ is so high you could play him at fullback on Max or Ben King and he'd find a way to get it done.
    *like*

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I suspect Gulden's footy IQ is so high you could play him at fullback on Max or Ben King and he'd find a way to get it done.
    One of the great parts of the academy system is that we know what we are getting 'footy IQ' wise in footballers, to a level of degree and understanding you just can't get outside of that environment (no matter how much time is spent watching scouting etc) - it seems a fantastic environment for highly experienced coaches to develop that side of the game. I think its a massively underated element of the academy setup (From a purely selfish, how it helps my club angle).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I will be looking a bit closer at Errol on Saturday. He looks a fairly solid unit already. He already plays up and down the ground and for his age has a huge tank. There will be no protecting this lad. May very well start at centre bounces this week.
    I'm very much looking forward to seeing on Saturday, but I fancy him most of some of the newer players in the team to just 'find another level because its finals'. Might not get a whole lot of the ball, but I reckon he will have some really influential moments on Saturday (especially if we do win), and will just eat up the pressure of a finals match for breakfast. I also suspect potentially the same with Warner too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think there are times when players who would normally be classified as list cloggers become list fillers. I think this is one of those times.

Yes, in a perfect world I would love to keep both George and Reid, but in the current state of affairs, they are probably unaffordable and getting in the way of us doing some critical signings.

With a young talented list like ours there are capable players who are unlikely to get a game and unlikely to find a new home elsewhere, like Ryan Clarke, who can be a list filler. If parties agree, he can stay on the list as a depth player in lieu of going to the draft and filling his spot with a rookie. He's not keeping anyone from playing or realistically improving our list, because we can't afford another player who could improve our list. We may have a few spots for such players this year.
    Clarke is a funny one. In the Swans of the early 2000s, a player of his style (huge ability under the contest, but maybe relatively limited once the ball gets out) was some form of a 'staple' inclusion. I thought there would be a genuine chance he might establish a role either doing the 'dirty work' or tagging at the Swans, but hasn't managed to do so. Maybe its just a fact he isn't quite good enough - but it shows how potentially V3 of the Swans 2000s machine has moved on a long way too. The evolution of the cygnets hey!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I suspect he will be an elite midfielder.
    Yep him Mills Chad and Jmac will be elite , Campbell very good also , not yet though

They will rack up AAs between them if they work hard

Quality midfield group for the future but need them to play there , a few still a while away like Campbell and Gulden

- - - Updated - - -

you know who i think the list cloggers are , not taking the bait .

Gee I never thought I'd see confusion between the term 'list clogger' and the concept of 'player I have infinite hate for' - but there is a new day for everything
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."