Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Team Song - time to update?

Team Song - time to update?

Yesterday I was lucky enough to stop in on the first interclub games for Swans girls/womens teams, when the U17s & U19s played the Giants at Tom Wills Oval, Homebush. The crowd was modest but the girls were passionate and determined and won both matches. (I have posted more in the Women's Footy forum.) Unfortunately I couldn't stay until the end but today I saw the tweets with videos of the girls singing the team song after their historic victories: Swans girls celebrate historic victories (sydneyswans.com.au).

I have to say that watching the singing of those songs it seems really jarring to me that they are singing "while her loyal sons march onwards to victory". The Bulldogs encountered a similar issue with their team song which begins "Sons of the west" and later has the lyrics "you can't beat the boys". They addressed this by creating a second version of the song beginning "daughters of the west" and later substituting "you can't beat the girls". Now that our girls and women are beginning to play other teams and to sing the song, I think we need to look at doing something similar although, personally, I would favour finding a single word that could be sung by all players. My suggestion (without having given it a lot of thought) would be to say "bloods" as in "while her loyal bloods" march onwards to victory".

What do others think? Is it ok for women and girls to have to sing "her sons march onwards"? Should we have an alternate version of the song with "daughters" instead of "sons"? Should we tweak the lyrics so the same song can be sung by all? Is there a better substitute word for "sons" than "bloods"?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Yesterday I was lucky enough to stop in on the first interclub games for Swans girls/womens teams, when the U17s & U19s played the Giants at Tom Wills Oval, Homebush. The crowd was modest but the girls were passionate and determined and won both matches. (I have posted more in the Women's Footy forum.) Unfortunately I couldn't stay until the end but today I saw the tweets with videos of the girls singing the team song after their historic victories: Swans girls celebrate historic victories (sydneyswans.com.au).

I have to say that watching the singing of those songs it seems really jarring to me that they are singing "while her loyal sons march onwards to victory". The Bulldogs encountered a similar issue with their team song which begins "Sons of the west" and later has the lyrics "you can't beat the boys". They addressed this by creating a second version of the song beginning "daughters of the west" and later substituting "you can't beat the girls". Now that our girls and women are beginning to play other teams and to sing the song, I think we need to look at doing something similar although, personally, I would favour finding a single word that could be sung by all players. My suggestion (without having given it a lot of thought) would be to say "bloods" as in "while her loyal bloods" march onwards to victory".

What do others think? Is it ok for women and girls to have to sing "her sons march onwards"? Should we have an alternate version of the song with "daughters" instead of "sons"? Should we tweak the lyrics so the same song can be sung by all? Is there a better substitute word for "sons" than "bloods"?
    Personally, I'd go for something non-gendered, like: while the loyal ones are marching.

No. The girls/women can perhaps have their own lyrics. Leave the men’s song as is

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    No. The girls/women can perhaps have their own lyrics. Leave the men’s song as is
    Why? The line itself has never sat well with me - who's the "her" in this?
    I think a new line that's more encompassing and inclusive for everyone and actually makes sense, would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    I think a new line that's more encompassing and inclusive for everyone and actually makes sense, would be good.
    “Why?” Because bloodspirit asked a question, so I answered it with my opinion. The line has always sat just fine with me. Just as you are entitled to your opinion that a new line could be more encompassing, I’m entitled to mine that I am happy with tradition and leaving the song as is.

That’s why.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Personally, I'd go for something non-gendered, like: while the loyal ones are marching.
    Neat.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    “Why?” Because bloodspirit asked a question, so I answered it with my opinion. The line has always sat just fine with me. Just as you are entitled to your opinion that a new line could be more encompassing, I’m entitled to mine that I am happy with tradition and leaving the song as is.

That’s why.
    I wasn't asking why you shared your perspective, but why you held that perspective.
    Being happy with tradition for traditions sake is not really a reason to hang on to something in this modern world.

Being happy with tradition for traditions sake is not really a reason to hang on to something in this modern world.
    Isn’t that that actual definition of tradition?

“the transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation, or the fact of being passed on in this way.“

Apparently it is.

I wasn't asking why you shared your perspective, but why you held that perspective.
    I don’t hate the opera house, but I still love the red V. I love the red sash jumper too. And I’m pretty happy with the Queen’s head on my coins.

I wouldn’t object to the words being changed. I’m just very comfortable with them as they way they are.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    The song was adapted from this:
    Notre Dame
    "Notre Dame Victory March"

Rally sons of Notre Dame
    Sing her glory and sound her fame
    Raise her Gold and Blue
    And cheer with voices true:
    Rah, rah, for Notre Dame
    We will fight in every game,
    Strong of heart and true to her name
    We will ne'er forget her
    And will cheer her ever
    Loyal to Notre Dame.

Cheer, cheer for Old Notre Dame,
    Wake up the echoes cheering her name,
    Send a volley cheer on high,
    Shake down the thunder from the sky!
    What though the odds be great or small,
    Old Notre Dame will win over all,
    While her loyal sons are marching
    Onward to victory!

source: Notre Dame Lyrics - Notre Dame Fight Song Lyrics

South Melbourne were granted copyright in 1961 to adapt the lyrics to what we have, prior to that we had a Gene Autrey song "Springtime in the Rockies".
    Notre Dame - means "Our Lady" so they would be referring to her in the lyrics. As Notre Dame USA was set up by Irish monks.

I am with 09 on this, the girls can change the lyrics like Footscray did.
    sprite

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

I suggested on a Sydney Swans facebook site yesterday....for a change from "while the loyal sons are marching" to "while the loyal swans are marching" for the AFLW Swans Women's teams.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    South Melbourne were granted copyright in 1961 to adapt the lyrics to what we have, prior to that we had a Gene Autrey song "Springtime in the Rockies".
    What an odd choice for our former song: When It's Springtime In The Rockies - YouTube. Did we have our own lyrics?

Veterans List
    +1

I'm happy to have two gender versions.....but just as happy to have a single song that is changed to reflect both genders.

Traditions are great but a lot reflect past era's that are largely irrelevant to the current world we live in. Tweaks to remain relevant and socially acceptable are fine to me.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 22nd February 2021 at 05:07 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast