Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans v Giants scratch match

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Over-rated. Unfair that champions like Franklin and Joey can be doubted, kids who never give up like Bell can be derided, but the golden child is spared criticism because of what ? Past performance ? Yeah the kids been good so far in his career but nowhere near good enough to excuse entire halves of footy where you only touch it about three times when you're playing for a spot in the 22. There's a team that players who put in performances like that end up and its called the ressies !!
    I'm not big on having a go at other posters but even I think you are on a undeserved hate campaign against a 20 year player that people like because he has a red hot go at every contest but being 20 will have some inconsistency.

Regular in the Side
    According to Foxsports at AFL 2021: Practice matches live, Sydney vs GWS, Adelaide vs Port Adelaide, Fremantle vs West Coast, Brisbane vs Gold Coast, start time, news "The match appeared to end in a one-point win to the Swans before it was clarified that the troublesome scoreboard had one final trick up its sleeve, with the match finishing at 54 points apiece." So it is a tie instead of us winning by one point.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    I'm not big on having a go at other posters but even I think you are on a undeserved hate campaign against a 20 year player that people like because he has a red hot go at every contest but being 20 will have some inconsistency.
    No. How many times do i have to say that I like him as a player ? Its a performance based sport. Perform or lose, there's no middle ground , you cant expect to put in an ordinary preseason and then have your spot reserved for you while others who have worked hard and improved miss out. Bell, Warner and Gulden were all better in that game. I dont know if that means they are better players than RB , they're probably not. But since RB is not a 200 game star, or a premiership hero, or a leader at the club , he should not be given the luxury of "good faith". Turn up and earn your spot, not rocket science.

Nice to be in front at the end of the fourth quarter. I assume that we can call that a win, even if they're now playing a couple of mystery quarters?
    Thought the third quarter was our best and perhaps Gulden was the player most responsible for that. Some excellent gut running, and third and fourth efforts.
    It was nice that Mills played his whole game time in the middle, without even looking like he was going to be switched to defence. Thought he had a highly competent game, without being spectacular. As did Parker and Kennedy. Warner looked pretty good. Florent, Rowbottom and Blakey had their moments, with Blakey showing plenty of flair. In the ruck, Hickey did well and seems more mobile than I thought he was.

And speaking of flair, Campbell's ability to hit a target was very impressive. Ling also did a few nice things when rebounding and did some good defensive harassment. Defensively, I thought Melican and McCartin both played well. While Gould looked he might impose his will on a few forwards in the future.

Up forward, I thought Heeney looked sharp when he was on. Papley had one of his almost games, but still, he looked like he'll have plenty of highlights this year. Nice that Bell got a couple of goals; while he and Wicks did a good job of harassing the opposing rebounders.

All up, I certainly there were more positives than negatives.

Over-rated. Unfair that champions like Franklin and Joey can be doubted, kids who never give up like Bell can be derided, but the golden child is spared criticism because of what ? Past performance ? Yeah the kids been good so far in his career but nowhere near good enough to excuse entire halves of footy where you only touch it about three times when you're playing for a spot in the 22. There's a team that players who put in performances like that end up and its called the ressies !!
    I don't know where anyone has said he can't be doubted or questionsed. But your one man band of seeming utter contempt and drive to pick out every single thing you possibly can that you don't like about his performance is bordering on a very unhealthy obsession. Give it a rest, or start doing the same for every player and people won't conclude that you've only got it in for one person only.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    According to Foxsports at AFL 2021: Practice matches live, Sydney vs GWS, Adelaide vs Port Adelaide, Fremantle vs West Coast, Brisbane vs Gold Coast, start time, news "The match appeared to end in a one-point win to the Swans before it was clarified that the troublesome scoreboard had one final trick up its sleeve, with the match finishing at 54 points apiece." So it is a tie instead of us winning by one point.
    Without the slightest bit of evidence, I think I'll blame Mathew Nicholls for that.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    And speaking of flair, Campbell's ability to hit a target was very impressive. Ling also did a few nice things when rebounding and did some good defensive harassment. Defensively, I thought Melican and McCartin both played well. While Gould looked he might impose his will on a few forwards in the future.
    Was very pleased with both Campbell and Ling - Harley said early on he has had his first full uninterrupted pre-season, so hopefully he is able to build on that, as he did some really good stuff defensively I thought on some tough opponents.

And gee Gould is already looking like a solid unit build wise.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I don't know where anyone has said he can't be doubted or questionsed. But your one man band of seeming utter contempt and drive to pick out every single thing you possibly can that you don't like about his performance is bordering on a very unhealthy obsession. Give it a rest, or start doing the same for every player and people won't conclude that you've only got it in for one person only.
    It's a bit like putting on an old vinyl record and only listening to the scratches.

Regular in the Side
    After all, it was a good hit all. All players had good intensity. It was difficult to rank who were the best as they rotated and many only played limited minutes. But the real standout for me was Gulden! Melican played well too without Rampe's presence. The addition of Hickey is reassuring and Mill's position change is justified. Hope that Dawson can move forward when Rampe is playing.

Suspended by the MRP
    I have been critical of others plenty . I said several months ago that RB, Florent and Blakey is not a midfield we should be building our future around. Specifically mentioned Florent and Blakey , no one picked up on them though. Only my mentioning RB because .. i dont know ?? If he is popular and highly rated on here , which I think he is, then fine. Doesnt mean i have to rate him so highly. And doesnt mean i dislike the kid either.

Was very pleased with both Campbell and Ling - Harley said early on he has had his first full uninterrupted pre-season, so hopefully he is able to build on that, as he did some really good stuff defensively I thought on some tough opponents.

And gee Gould is already looking like a solid unit build wise.
    Yes, and even though I've seen plenty of Campbell in academy games, the accuracy of his kicking still surprised me. I think it's due to a change in position. At academy level, where he usually played midfield, you often saw him bursting out of the middle and either going for goal or hitting a deep target. While his kicking in that situation was impressive, he probably didn't go for shorter targets all that much. Whereas today, when he was coming off halfback, the shorter darts to targets were really nice to watch.

I said several months ago that RB, Florent and Blakey is not a midfield we should be building our future around.
    Perhaps, but I suspect the Swans coaching dept disagree with you. And I have faith in them. I personally think all three are special, and RB is being groomed as a replacement for Kennedy as an inside bull. At 20 I reckon he shows more skill than Parker did at the same age, and still has a tonne of upside. All three have shown glimpses of brilliance in their short careers, and all three will play 200+ games somewhere or another. From a skill perspective they rate miles ahead of Bolton/Kirk/Matthews, and look where those guys got us to.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast