Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Swans v Giants scratch match

Veterans List
    I really like Wicks - smart footballer than has a real crack and makes good decisions. Not our most talented I know, but I hope he makes it.

I really like Bell as well and also hope he makes it - but I'm struggling to see what he adds at this point (note only watched first half and sounds like his second half was better).

The Lizard gave the full spectrum of what we've come to expect - missing tackles and letting Greene walk around him like a witches hat - and then next moment providing outstanding run & carry and making us look like a different team. Thus it is with young players I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    I really like Wicks - smart footballer than has a real crack and makes good decisions. Not our most talented I know, but I hope he makes it.

I really like Bell as well and also hope he makes it - but I'm struggling to see what he adds at this point (note only watched first half and sounds like his second half was better).

The Lizard gave the full spectrum of what we've come to expect - missing tackles and letting Greene walk around him like a witches hat - and then next moment providing outstanding run & carry and making us look like a different team. Thus it is with young players I guess.
    I love the effort Wicks puts in. Certainly a role for him in the short-medium term I feel at least - a sort of player that may not prove to be AFL level at the end of it all, but he won't give up trying until he has extracted every ounce of effort to find out.

I think Bell may be a little more marginal - I want to see him make it, but like you I feel its a bit hard to see strongly what he quite brings at this point.

And the Lizard will be like that for a little while I think - the upside is huge, but there will be swings and roundabouts in the mean time for a little while yet. Love his run and carry however, great to watch!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    All the talk about RB takes me back to a time many years ago when a lot of people on here were referring to McVeigh as "McHack". McVeigh had plenty of shockers which seemed to last seasons before he became a super reliable premiership winning captain. These kids develop at different rates and there is no doubt that RB has shown enough that he has the potential to become a great part of our team for many years. Give him time, he might go in and out of the side but he'll more than likely develop into a winner. Trust the structures and coaches we have, they know what they're doing, they've been doing it very well for many years.

Sitting back and watching players evolve into premiership winning teams is extremely rewarding. It's tough a lot of the time, and theres no guarantee that it's ever going to happen, but when it does, it's absolutely perfect. All the hard work and decisions that have to fall into place to come together at the right time, magic. My advice - try to enjoy it and don't get too caught up in the small stuff like players having a few bad games.
    Last edited by Goal Sneak; 1st March 2021 at 12:00 AM.

BTW did anyone else note Rampe's comment in the third quarter of the game, that it was Don Pyke who had given the green light for Mills to move into the midfield?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    BTW did anyone else note Rampe's comment in the third quarter of the game, that it was Don Pyke who had given the green light for Mills to move into the midfield?
    Yes, I heard that - what was illuminating is that they didn't switch him back even when our defence was really struggling with the Giants forwards in that 2nd qr. So, it would appear that they are committed to the move - could be a ripper, and let's face it, it will take a move like that to really move our trajectory as a team given where the list is at.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Yes, I heard that - what was illuminating is that they didn't switch him back even when our defence was really struggling with the Giants forwards in that 2nd qr. So, it would appear that they are committed to the move - could be a ripper, and let's face it, it will take a move like that to really move our trajectory as a team given where the list is at.
    I thought it was interesting who made the call

Easier to not switch Mills to backline in a scratch match than a real contest where we may be close enough or leading my small enough margin.
    I think it is very likely that he will be doing what heeney does to protect backline. He may be the extra man when you want to protect the lead etc

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    On what planet ?

Florent tripled RB's disposal count by about three times yesterday and if you want to go further back he averaged more touches last year than RB.
    After some of your comments I rewatched the game and by my account RB had at least 13 possessions kicked one goal and 2 behind add about 4 tackles sorry if florent had triple his possessions that means he would have had 39 possessions I think that could be an exaggeration

Ollie is interesting ... made a nice set shot but does not give you any confidence when going into forward 50. At best his kicks are average but mostly they are bordering on being poor. Not sure if it is overthinking or it is genuine kicking problem. Ollie gets into great positions and watching him it usually seems that he has more time than he actually gives himself to kick the ball.
    Same can be said of Hayward. Hacks his kicks and makes him look very silly at times.

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Ollie is interesting ... made a nice set shot but does not give you any confidence when going into forward 50. At best his kicks are average but mostly they are bordering on being poor. Not sure if it is overthinking or it is genuine kicking problem. Ollie gets into great positions and watching him it usually seems that he has more time than he actually gives himself to kick the ball.
    Same can be said of Hayward. Hacks his kicks and makes him look very silly at times.
    Ollie and Hayward are interesting ones. No doubting the potential quality of both, and I do think Ollie in particular took some good steps forward last year, but still feel like both have not quite 'arrived' as yet. We might soon reach a point where they are under serious pressure to remain in the first 22 - thinking more Hayward then Ollie in that regard. But they are also both reaching that 'sweet spot' in terms of experience that means, if their careers are going to take off very quickly, it should happen soon.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Anyone have any update on the mystery 5th and 6th quarters , who played and any standouts??? Can't find any info anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    Anyone have any update on the mystery 5th and 6th quarters , who played and any standouts??? Can't find any info anywhere
    No. There's five photos, tacked to the end of the match gallery on the Swans website, which prove that it took place. Other than that, it seems to be an information free zone.