Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans v Giants scratch match

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    It's a bit like putting on an old vinyl record and only listening to the scratches.
    Yep.....nice analogy.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Well, you're sticking by your guns, I'll give you that. We'll revisit this post just before round one.

Actually just the opposite , my best 22 would be very flexible. Many spots up for grabs for the players who want them. Warner and Bell wanted those spots more today.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Well lets talk coaching departments then. Who was it that wanted RB out in a field nowhere near the action most of the second half while Warner was in all the stoppages ? Would have to have been a coaching call, no?If he is being groomed as a replacement why wasnt he playing Kennedy's role? If he was capable i think he would've been doing that role wouldn't he?
    Reading too much into anything in terms of tactics during a scratch match at the beginning of the season is unlikely to give a whole lot of pointers to much at all of note at that sort of individual player level. If you really want to go there, one could make an equally valid postulation that maybe they were simply keen to see what Warner could do in there, whereas they have a fair idea of what Rowbottom's capacity is in such a role. Games like that one today are as much about trying a range of things out as they are about everyone playing where they best fit or indeed settling down the team for Rd 1. If it happens again at the higher intensity of next week then perhaps it will be of more significance.

I do hope you find some other whipping boys soon to start constantly raving on about, please give us some variety please Or else, just tell us already from your fortune telling what is going to happen over the next say 10 years and put us all out of our misery - after all you've already determined that a whole bunch of players are basically no good and we are going nowhere, or at least that is what your constant tone seems to suggest.

Rowbottom is probably somewhere around 99% assured to be there in Rd 1, whether you think he should be or not (unless of course he gets injured).
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Reading too much into anything in terms of tactics during a scratch match at the beginning of the season is unlikely to give a whole lot of pointers to much at all of note at that sort of individual player level. If you really want to go there, one could make an equally valid postulation that maybe they were simply keen to see what Warner could do in there, whereas they have a fair idea of what Rowbottom's capacity is in such a role. Games like that one today are as much about trying a range of things out as they are about everyone playing where they best fit or indeed settling down the team for Rd 1. If it happens again at the higher intensity of next week then perhaps it will be of more significance.

I do hope you find some other whipping boys soon to start constantly raving on about, please give us some variety please Or else, just tell us already from your fortune telling what is going to happen over the next say 10 years and put us all out of our misery - after all you've already determined that a whole bunch of players are basically no good and we are going nowhere, or at least that is what your constant tone seems to suggest.

Rowbottom is probably somewhere around 99% assured to be there in Rd 1, whether you think he should be or not (unless of course he gets injured).
    Duly noted. I will change my tone then.

Warner was sensational today. Strong through the hips takes the game on and very explosive and powerful. Made good decisions under pressure. Also read the rucks taps very well and was proactive in getting first hands on it.

Would have him comfortably in the round 1 side on that outing.

Veterans List
    How did my old mate Will Hayward go. Will, Will be in the 22 for Round 1.

Pushing for Selection
    Photos from todays gamer for anyone interested
    http://cartercapture.smugmug.com/GWS-v-Swans-scratch

I wonder if the club will give us any information on the mysterious fifth and sixth quarters? Or have they been placed under the cone of silence?

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I didn't notice him doing anything in attack or defence. Apparently been going pretty well in the intra clubs though so I reckon he's still a likely R1 starter.

I stupidly assumed they would leave the stream available after the match... but I can't find it. Anyone seen it?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    I stupidly assumed they would leave the stream available after the match... but I can't find it. Anyone seen it?
    Noted on the screen today that it was actually a streaming "powered by" AFL and with lower quality (no HD!)therefore don't expect it could be easily available again (like our Academy Girls streamings last week and earlier today - powered by Sportscast with HD quality and can still be watched via YouTube )

The wet weather impedes a good forensic analysis of the game, especially in drawing negative conclusions. Our defence wasn't challenged enough to get a read on how Gould or Campbell will go, but I suspect their chances at senior level will be based on more than one game.

We did learn that Ling, Gulden, Warner, Bell and Wicks are all going to be contenders for senior stints, although the available spots are sparse. It's hard to see how Gray, Taylor and Clarke get much of run this year, even though Taylor is a solid player and Clarke acquitted himself well last year, and his aerobic running is suited to the game with reduced interchanges. Ben Ronke will have to tear up the VFL to get a look in. No surprises here, but we needed to get some confirmation our youthful depth was for real.

Blakey was a standout with his work ethic and willingness to be a big contributor this year.

The forward line, especially the KPFs, will once again be problematic this year. I would like to see Dawson move up forward to lend some more fire power, at least until Franklin returns. Hopefully it will sort itself out and we can get a better fix on the situation if we get a dry weather game next week.

I wouldn't read too much into the reason why some regulars didn't play this scratch match. Some had to drop out to make room for those who did play, and by the way some of these new kids played, it would seem a wise move.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Longmire would rather move the Swans to Tasmania than drop Will Hayward from the senior team.

You rode Harry Cunningham all the way to the leadership group. I hope he sent you something for Valentines Day. I have faith that you will do the same for Will Hayward. He looks serious and ready for a big year.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 27th February 2021 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Duly noted. I will change my tone then.

Warner was sensational today. Strong through the hips takes the game on and very explosive and powerful. Made good decisions under pressure. Also read the rucks taps very well and was proactive in getting first hands on it.

Would have him comfortably in the round 1 side on that outing.
    I thought he did some good stuff too - I like his approach to the game. Hope he can back it up again next week when the quality hopefully from all will go up a level (and hopefully we see some better conditions for footy too). I do sense our depth is beginning to build nicely, though only time will tell, and that there is going to be relatively fierce competition for some places in the team.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast