Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Swans v Giants scratch match

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    No. There's five photos, tacked to the end of the match gallery on the Swans website, which prove that it took place. Other than that, it seems to be an information free zone.
    The thing I don't get is why they specifically want to avoid publicising it. I don't think there's anything too secret because the opposition gets to see it. And I'm struggling to think of other reasons. The commentator mentions they were specifically asked not to cover the last two periods.

Sorry to bother you all, is there free to air broadcast for this weekend's "Community series"?

In anticipation of someone answering, Thank you.

😉

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The thing I don't get is why they specifically want to avoid publicising it. I don't think there's anything too secret because the opposition gets to see it. And I'm struggling to think of other reasons. The commentator mentions they were specifically asked not to cover the last two periods.
    Yes, it's strange. It makes me wonder if the clubs were incurring the costs of the telecast? If so, maybe they just didn't want to pay for an extra couple of quarters? Though I'm just clutching at straws. And of course, I don't think it would be too much of a challenge, for somebody at the club to write a couple of paragraphs, about who played well and what the score was, and then post it on the Swans website.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly dooker View Post
    Sorry to bother you all, is there free to air broadcast for this weekend's "Community series"?

In anticipation of someone answering, Thank you.

😉
    Don't know for sure, but I strongly suspect that it will only be Foxtel and Kayo. Since the AFL and Telstra have charmingly canned the live pass service, I doubt if it will streamed on the AFL site. And it won't be on 7. Might even struggle to hear a radio call? Although in the regular season, I think there's still going to be match replays on the AFL site, so maybe we can see a replay there??

Although, now that I think of it, the NRL have also canned their live pass, but they then streamed the preseason trials on the NRL app, so it's possible that the AFL might do the same; but so far, they've given no indication that they will?

Goes up to 11
    Yes, it's strange. It makes me wonder if the clubs were incurring the costs of the telecast? If so, maybe they just didn't want to pay for an extra couple of quarters? Though I'm just clutching at straws. And of course, I don't think it would be too much of a challenge, for somebody at the club to write a couple of paragraphs, about who played well and what the score was, and then post it on the Swans website.
    Maybe keeping it in-house takes a bit of pressure off the players, particularly the youngsters and those on the fringe, who are still working through their preseason and all that goes with it? Just a guess.

It sounded like a request from the football departments, when they mentioned it in commentary, but I could be wrong. I think the more discrete the better at this time of year for footy departments.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Maybe keeping it in-house takes a bit of pressure off the players, particularly the youngsters and those on the fringe, who are still working through their preseason and all that goes with it? Just a guess.
    Barracuda - any word re the performances in the missing 5th and 6th terms on Saturday?

Don't know for sure, but I strongly suspect that it will only be Foxtel and Kayo. Since the AFL and Telstra have charmingly canned the live pass service, I doubt if it will streamed on the AFL site. And it won't be on 7. Might even struggle to hear a radio call? Although in the regular season, I think there's still going to be match replays on the AFL site, so maybe we can see a replay there??
    I'd expect if there is radio coverage available, it'll be on the AFL website. But will be suprised if there will be any footage available through the AFL website - the push is to get everyone on to Kayo asap.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Ollie and Hayward are interesting ones. No doubting the potential quality of both, and I do think Ollie in particular took some good steps forward last year, but still feel like both have not quite 'arrived' as yet. We might soon reach a point where they are under serious pressure to remain in the first 22 - thinking more Hayward then Ollie in that regard. But they are also both reaching that 'sweet spot' in terms of experience that means, if their careers are going to take off very quickly, it should happen soon.
    Yep, Ollie's disposal by foot is starting to worry me a tiny bit too. On the other hand I'm holding on to my memories of the first game last year where he and SamN put on a absolute clinic on ruck-to-rover co-ordination.

And as for Hayward. His dead eye dick, goal kicking has never returned after that nasty broken jaw. There was a pic from the first practice of the season doing an enormous lean in an effort to will a wayward shot towards goal. That's not something a confident player does. As the youngest player to reach 50 goals since Buddy things looked incredibly bright. But then, first the jaw, then the shoulder - and for some reason his knee's still being strapped for each game.
    I thought he was starting to get his mojo/confidence back during and after those games at half back, but it seems not to have returned enough hen aiming between the big sticks.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 3rd March 2021 at 12:30 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

I watched the match on Youtube and thought that Ollie had a great game, particularly in wet conditions. He broke into space, took on and beat players, and put the ball in dangerous places—sometimes without precision, but it was a trial game in heavy conditions. He is looking much bigger than a couple for seasons ago, but still moves well, high on top of the grass. He is confident with contact inside, and works both ways on the outside. Last year, when he was not necessarily racking up big numbers, he seemed to me to make position consistently to produce implied and direct pressure, and was consistently a part of chains moving the ball between the arcs. I'm really looking forward to seeing his year.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    I watched the match on Youtube and thought that Ollie had a great game, particularly in wet conditions. He broke into space, took on and beat players, and put the ball in dangerous places—sometimes without precision, but it was a trial game in heavy conditions. He is looking much bigger than a couple for seasons ago, but still moves well, high on top of the grass. He is confident with contact inside, and works both ways on the outside. Last year, when he was not necessarily racking up big numbers, he seemed to me to make position consistently to produce implied and direct pressure, and was consistently a part of chains moving the ball between the arcs. I'm really looking forward to seeing his year.
    i think that is a fair summary of his game. Let's hope it is dry this week and see what he is capable of