Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans v Giants scratch match

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    We know why Naismith, Buddy, Rampe and some did not play for obvious reasons but not sure WHY Cunningham, Hewitt, Stephen, O'Riordan, Ronke, Armerty & McLean were all not there in the 4 terms. Have hope that Stephen can further develope and Hewitt coming back from surgery.

Any word on why these guys didn't play

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I thought he did some good stuff too - I like his approach to the game. Hope he can back it up again next week when the quality hopefully from all will go up a level (and hopefully we see some better conditions for footy too). I do sense our depth is beginning to build nicely, though only time will tell, and that there is going to be relatively fierce competition for some places in the team.
    His approach to the game is what we need in the midfield. He did not meander and he played with an urgency to make things happen. It also says a lot about his midfield craft that he was able to read the taps so effectively. That is something we're very much lacking in the midfield. We are a rebuilding side and so I hope Longmire does not shy away from giving Warner a go against quality opposition in a higher intensity game.

Overall thoughts on the day:
    - Ling: did a great lock down job on Toby Green, who was basically unsighted. Lloyd and Cunningham will be looking over their shoulders, and I wouldn't be surprised if he forced one out by seasons end
    - Campbell: will win runner up to Rowell this year in the rising star. They've smartly determined that his elite kicking and speed will benefit the new man on the mark rule, and he'll set up great attack from the back half. Not to again criticise to great servants in Lloyd and Cunningham, but he'll be a serious upgrade on boths kicking
    - Gulden: probably a few back in the queue to start, but will push early for a game. Size won't be an issue, he's not intimidated
    - Bell: I wasn't as positive as others. He tried hard, but didn't seem that different to last year and hasn't really got a trait that stands out
    - Wicks: great physical presence. Will be our forward half pressure forward. So valuable, particularly in the wet
    - Hickey: huge upgrade on our current rucks, and probably best tap ruck we've had in 16 years. He won't push for All Australian honours, but he'll compete and regularly give us a tap to advantage
    - Sinclair: just can't see him providing any meaningful value. Would even prefer Reid in there over him to compete
    - Kennedy: slow and skills declining, but that's against his elite standards. A strong body and still finds it. Will be invaluable around the younger players
    - Mills: looked at home in the middle. Given we've covered him down back, he's like a new recruit
    - Reid: rusty. May improve and be valuable, but may be in his final year on the list
    - McDonald: competed well. Definitely a few years away from being a first choice tall forward, but the makings of a real player
    - Rowbottom: looked just as he did last year. Tough nut who will continue to grow
    - Blakey: wow. Looks to have his confidence up and demanding the footy in the middle half. When he got it, things happened. Genuine x factor
    - Gould: flat footed and gave no indication he's ready yet. Hopefully just adjusting to his first AFL level match tempo and we see improvement next week

Backline: looked really solid. Mccartin, Melican, Fox all competed well and worked as a group. Disposal for all 3 is a slight concern. Not Dunkley bad, but not giving huge confidence when coming out either.
    Forwards: great mobile unit outside of Reid. Hayward, Heeney and Papley will give opposition coaches headaches on match ups.
    Game plan: quick free flowing footy. We don't have big bodies, so look to move it quickly and get the footy to the outside. Hewett will be a welcome addition to the unit to give some strength and ball winning

Also, did Justin McInerney play the main game? He's in a pic on the Swans insta page.. either way, great to see!!

anyone know if we can watch a replay and where ?

cheers
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Also, did Justin McInerney play the main game? He's in a pic on the Swans insta page.. either way, great to see!!
    No, neither him or Stephens played. McInerney had a minor off-season op, but shouldn't be too far away. Don't know why Stephens didn't play? Though I suppose that both could have played in the fifth and sixth quarters? On last year's form, I'd have both in the top 22.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    anyone know if we can watch a replay and where ?

cheers
    OK. It is now available at YouTube

Swans v Giants pre-season scratch match (27 Feb 2021) - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    No, neither him or Stephens played. McInerney had a minor off-season op, but shouldn't be too far away. Don't know why Stephens didn't play? Though I suppose that both could have played in the fifth and sixth quarters? On last year's form, I'd have both in the top 22.
    It appears McInerney played the second game then.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Thank the lords! To be fair, the time was probably just uploading the stream to youtube.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Regular in the Side
    I thought Hewett played. At least the commentators called his name late in the game and it did look like him.

Really like the solid red strip.

Always liked the 1920-1922 strip - though unfortunately no premierships of anything important happened in this period so we will never see it in the heritage jerseys.

https://www.footyjumpers.com/images/South-1921.gif
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    It appears McInerney played the second game then.
    Yes, they've added a few photos of the second game on the website. That photo of McInerney has a wider version, and it shows that it's Clarke running beside him. McLean, O'Connor, and apparently O'Riordan are also in photos of that game. Although if it is O'Riordan, he looks quite different with his hair grown a bit. Sinclair also doubled up, to renew acquaintances with Mumford.