Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THE BIG RED V...

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries

THE BIG RED V...

So pleased with the decision to wear the BIG RED V in Victorian games.

It honours our past, respects our Southern fans and is just a great looking strip

10/10 for the decision makers.

Well said, BRISWAN. I completely agree. I love the inclusion and acknowledgment of South fans.

I'm also a bit cynical about the agenda being partly commercial but that's ok - it's important we look after and grow our Melbourne fanbase/'market'.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Well said, BRISWAN. I completely agree. I love the inclusion and acknowledgment of South fans.

I'm also a bit cynical about the agenda being partly commercial but that's ok - it's important we look after and grow our Melbourne fanbase/'market'.
    I love heritage jumpers! Not just the red V either. Loved the sash and the hoops (though it would be great if we played in it rather than just training in them. And the horizontal red stripes with the faux lace-up stitches we wore in the mid-90s.

No cynicism here. If they play in it and sell it, I will likely buy it! Revenue is important, and I guess no one is forced to buy them.

I’d love to see the red jumper with the white SMFC which was worn for a season. Or perhaps some of the VFA designs … how about in 2024 when the Swans celebrate 150 years of existence, we wear a different South VFA jumper each time we play a VFL foundation club in Melbourne?

Veterans List
    I like this bit "players led the call to wear the red V in all Victorian games"

I started following the Swans from afar in 1982, I've liked nearby every jumper they've pulled on. The "traditional" red V goes ok for me

Long Term Injury List
    Funny, I have mixed feelings about this.
    I grew up a South Melbourne follower and love the old guernsey and think it looks fantastic.
    I also lived in Sydney for a number of years from when the club first moved north and love the current one as well.

Ah well, I'm just going to have to make more trips to Sydney from Melbourne so I can see them play in both!

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I love heritage jumpers! Not just the red V either. Loved the sash and the hoops (though it would be great if we played in it rather than just training in them. And the horizontal red stripes with the faux lace-up stitches we wore in the mid-90s.

No cynicism here. If they play in it and sell it, I will likely buy it! Revenue is important, and I guess no one is forced to buy them.

I’d love to see the red jumper with the white SMFC which was worn for a season. Or perhaps some of the VFA designs … how about in 2024 when the Swans celebrate 150 years of existence, we wear a different South VFA jumper each time we play a VFL foundation club in Melbourne?
    I quite like the sash, as it's a design that's quite rare outside of Aussie Rules.

Peru had a sash when I was a kid

And Rayo Vallecano in the Spanish first division also have one

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I quite like the sash, as it's a design that's quite rare outside of Aussie Rules.
    It isn't that common as the home kit in soccer (not in my mind though - maybe outside of all the big European leagues I know fairly well it could be), but plenty of clubs have had it as their alternate jumpers on and off the years (even in period prior to common days where soccer teams have about 15 different kits every season), so not sure that style is particularly unusual.

Back on topic - its a good balance overall I think. Certainly a commercial element to it, but happy enough with that if it brings more $ into our club of course. And its intended use strikes the right balance too.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

IIRC we were undefeated in all games in which we wore the big red V last year?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    IIRC we were undefeated in all games in which we wore the big red V last year?
    When we lost to the Saints were we wearing the V? Regardless we still had a great record.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    When we lost to the Saints were we wearing the V? Regardless we still had a great record.
    I think we were wearing the pride jumper as it would've been the annual pride game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast