Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans vs Giants Solitary Pre-season Match

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    I suspect if Allir wasn't traded, Melican would be depth.

I didn't have him best 22 before Allir went, but there's no one else. He is serviceable - as noted he has bad days, but his good days are good. Maybe with time he will be more consistent. He's 24.
    How much more time do we give Melican to be consistent.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    He has NFI where the ball or his man is half the time. Madness that he will make it to 50 games.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Different kind of players. While Aliir was a tall defender, he was more an interceptor and rebound player than a KPD.

Melican has shown time and time again he's not up to scratch with the good KPFs, hes too slow off the mark and gets easily between one-on-one. Would much rather Brand or Fox in his role.
    Pretty much reached his level on incompetency. You can throw Will Hayward into that basket.

Senior Player
    I would think another three or four years minimum. There's no reason why he shouldn't be given the same amount of time given to Sam
    Reid & Gary Rohan. It's more of a journey than a destination.

I have contacted the Swans to ask for any update on the pre-season Reserves games, who played, who played well and those coming back from injury. Fingers crossed we get some information.

Pretty much reached his level on incompetency. You can throw Will Hayward into that basket.
    "Hey Lewie, any room in there for me?"

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    I suspect if Allir wasn't traded, Melican would be depth.

I didn't have him best 22 before Allir went, but there's no one else. He is serviceable - as noted he has bad days, but his good days are good. Maybe with time he will be more consistent. He's 24.
    You mean the Allir that was BOG for Port Adelaide on the weekend? Sigh.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    I agree re Sam. He looked slow and out of sorts yesterday (along with Rampe, Heeney, Hewitt, Bell)..

We just need to find a taller forward line setup as we were mauled by the taller Giants defence. Hope we don't put too much pressure on McDonald, but he did look good when he came on in the second half.
    From Horse's press conference comments, got a feeling in H1 on Sunday they were prepping for a wet/dewy Gabba in a couple of weeks time when it won't make sense to go tall. Just a guess but.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    I think that Melican missed having Lloyd in the back line. Campbell will be a good replacement for Mills, however with Rampe being rusty exposed Melican.. MaCartin is a keeper in the back line, agree could be AA. Fox is a toiler.. Giants forwards played well and got the rub of the Green...:-)

Our forwards were to small for the delivery in the first half. Kick high and hope... McDonald provided a marking option after half time when the Giants had a snooze. Reid is not a solution for ruck and forward. (Not sure there is a fit for him unless Melican is outplayed and we need a 3rd tall defender. Off the bench, but needs to be fit and hungry!)

Wicks, Gulden, Warner and McDonald all put their hands up high for a start. Campbell is a lock.

Depth is looking good at this stage.

I agree Warner looked sharp. Stevens and McInerney

I still believe that O'Roirdan will fit into the back line during the year.

At risk of missing starting team Reid, Clarke, Sinclair, Haywood, Ling,

Hickey is serviceable! (bigger tank than Sinclair)

Rusty

Heeny, Rampe, Dawson.

Mills will need to improve for me to be sold on his new position. Young mids may force him to return to the back line.

Rod_
    Another great contribution, Rod.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    From Horse's press conference comments, got a feeling in H1 on Sunday they were prepping for a wet/dewy Gabba in a couple of weeks time when it won't make sense to go tall. Just a guess but.
    Yes, his comment about not knowing the weather in Brisbane in two weeks time stood out as odd.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    I think that Melican missed having Lloyd in the back line. Campbell will be a good replacement for Mills, however with Rampe being rusty exposed Melican.. MaCartin is a keeper in the back line, agree could be AA. Fox is a toiler.. Giants forwards played well and got the rub of the Green...:-)

Our forwards were to small for the delivery in the first half. Kick high and hope... McDonald provided a marking option after half time when the Giants had a snooze. Reid is not a solution for ruck and forward. (Not sure there is a fit for him unless Melican is outplayed and we need a 3rd tall defender. Off the bench, but needs to be fit and hungry!)
    Agree our forward line was too short for the delivery, but I'm not convinced it was adding McDonald that changed things around so much as a change in delivery. The point at which we started to get back into the game was towards the end of the second quarter when Dawson burst through the middle and put the ball straight onto Parker's chest. It was almost like the rest of the team went "oh, maybe we should try kicking to a player..."

I think Dawson is wasted in defence. I understand that they think his long kicking is an advantage, but he never looks at ease there. But move him forward and his ability to deliver the ball to the advantage of a forward starts to make a big difference. Buddy can do the same - if he ever gets back out onto the paddock - and I'm looking forward to McInerney forcing his way back into the side for the same reason. On limited viewing Errol and Braedon seem like they understand that's kinda the point.

Mills will need to improve for me to be sold on his new position. Young mids may force him to return to the back line.
    I've been a long-time member of the "Mills is wasted in defence" brigade, but I confess I found it hard watching that game to squash the question in my mind - as our defence was in disarray and our more seasoned centre bounce brigade stationary and flat-flooted - of whether he might not be better where he's been. Of course, it's too early to determine, but the zip of Florent, Rowbottom and Warner was more exiting to watch than Mills, Kennedy and Parker standing and watching the Giants clear the ball to the outside with ease.

What about Kaiden Brand? He looked pretty solid in defence in his 2 games last year before he got injured. I would like to see him in there in Melican fails again.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk