Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans vs Giants Solitary Pre-season Match

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    I'm more optimistic on Hayward than most others on this site. He had a really tough match up today, in a role he's learning.
    I think we should wait til round 5-6 to really judge him. He deserves some time in the role with a few other talls around him.

Melican on the other hand.. I think it's just a mix of hoping he comes good, and not having great alternatives
    I heard similar comments on Hayward last year. He has trouble stringing together one game let alone several.

Warming the Bench
    Runner Agree with a lot of what you said apart from the following:

Hewett: IS a good user of the ball. He will take a few more games to get in
    Mills: will take a long time to adjust to the new role. Maybe the Swans have burned him as a midfielder. Looked slow - he looks a lot better when he has an opportunity to read the play rather than make the play.
    Ling: Needs to show more to get into the team. I think that Campbell will have him covered for a spot.
    Hickey: I am a sceptic, but did ok today THOUGH he wasn't up against much. If he played like he did today against a Nic Nat/Grundy/Gawn/Goldstein then I will eat my words. An improvement on last year sure... but just about any ruckman would be on what we had last year. Still don't think the trading of AA was a smart move (but am over it).
    Cunningham: He does burn it but has elite speed, so not sure if he will be in our next premiership side. You may be right.

Furthermore on what I have seen, Bell, Clarke and Melican will struggle to be in on the list next year

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    I dont think he is a full forward and for most of his career has not played as one. last year in an attempt for him to gain form be played in the back half and looked alright. As for playing out of full forward you could rotate Heeney Reid and Parker down there as they are all decent marks and with less rotations and a perceived improved mid field depth mids like Parker can do this
    The reason he played ok down back last year is because he couldn't avoid the footy.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I was told off by some on here as almost 'writing off' JPK by suggesting that he might need an extra string in his bow in coming years - I tend to agree with your suggestion, but expect it will be Parker that spends more time in the forward line then Kennedy. But definitely feel like we will see a bit of that move with one of them, both being senior players that can play high % of game minutes, and still be effective when resting up forward etc.
    I think Kennedy played FF as a junior. He and Parker are both difficult matchups when playing forward, and both are good kicks for goal. I'm looking for some options that will allow Heeney and Hayward to spend more time through the midfield.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    One thing today showed is how much we miss Mills' smarts down back. We got leaky at key stages.

Now don't get me wrong. This is simply a compliment to his brains and courage as a footballer. I want him in the middle. But we'll need to work out how to match his direction and intercept play down there.

It's also a sign of how is list is developing. The idea in 2023-24 we'll have a mix through the arcs comprising Mills, Blakey, Warner, Rowbottom, Stephens, McInerney, Heeney, Gulden, Campbell, Florent, Dawson and whatever else emerges is fantastic.

But we're still a bit light on for spine, and need someone like Gould to kick in as a third/fourth tall.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Pretty impressed with that hit out.

Our young players give me a lot of excitement. Warner, Campbell, Gulden, Rowbottom, Florent, Wicks, McDonald all showing a bit.

Not sure on some posters hate of Cunningham. Totally not deserved and complete BS. Next they will be hating Rampe who played a shocker.

As for the more experienced players. Parker needs to play more forward this year. Heeney needs to lift and become the superstar we are desperate for. Same with Mills. Hickey is a journeyman and was destroyed by some kids. JPK is looking old.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post

Our young players give me a lot of excitement. Warner, Campbell, Gulden, Rowbottom, Florent, Wicks, McDonald all showing a bit.

Not sure on some posters hate of Cunningham. Totally not deserved and complete BS. Next they will be hating Rampe who played a shocker.

As for the more experienced players. Parker needs to play more forward this year. Heeney needs to lift and become the superstar we are desperate for. Same with Mills. Hickey is a journeyman and was destroyed by some kids. JPK is looking old.
    Heeney missed a lot of footy with a very serious injury, so expect he will take a few games get his touch back.

I wouldn't say Hickey was destroyed. He struggled initially against Briggs, just like he did against Flynn the previous week. But I think he got better as the game went on. Hickey will be serviceable, no world beater but at least an improvement on the last couple of ways.

Slightly related, just saw the stats on the Port game and the numbers would suggest Aliir had a good game. 21 disposals, 18 kicks, 3 hand passed, 14 marks. If Melican plays more games like today and Gould doesn't come up to standard, he could be a big loss.

JPK is looking old.
    I know Parker was a sub in the 2012 GF, but JPK is the last of that tough midfield that took us to 3 GF in 5 years. When he goes, it will truly be the end of an era, a sort of closing of the book on a very successful Swans' team.

I feel he will come around and play some good footy this year, even though our new game style doesn't really suit him. I hope he finds a role, perhaps even playing deep forward, that will let him extend his career and make a solid contribution in his final years.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I know Parker was a sub in the 2012 GF, but JPK is the last of that tough midfield that took us to 3 GF in 5 years. When he goes, it will truly be the end of an era, a sort of closing of the book on a very successful Swans' team.

I feel he will come around and play some good footy this year, even though our new game style doesn't really suit him. I hope he finds a role, perhaps even playing deep forward, that will let him extend his career and make a solid contribution in his final years.
    And release Hayward to the midfield....ROFLMAO

Haven’t heard Gould mentioned , did he play ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    And release Hayward to the midfield....ROFLMAO
    I knew that suggestion would make your day.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast