Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans vs Giants Solitary Pre-season Match

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Actually thought McLean looked better than Reid up forward towards the end of last year. Sam a little bit of a protected species re selection.
    Yes, I think McLean is a bit of a prospect. The question mark has been his mobility, but much of that could be attributed to early injuries and the lack of a preseason, in both the years that he's been with us. Other than that, there's strong hands, straight kicking, aggressive tackling and good attitude.

Senior Player
    Ramps is rusty:

We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    At the game, I thought Reid did alright, especially at ground level.

Surely the mismatch in height between attackers and defenders advantages the attacking team, provided you use it to your advantage i.e. you don't rely on winning the aerial contests if you're shorter, whereas you do use the aerial route if you're taller.

I would caution against putting too much pressure on McDonald too soon. He is clearly talented but he may not be ready to take the #1 defender week after week and for full length AFL matches (and seasons) yet. I think the club are going to give him that chance and he is a long shot to be picked for R1.
    Yes, personally, I'd be quite happy for McDonald to spend much of this season maturing in the VFL. It's very rare for a key forward to really fire at AFL level, in their first season or two. Though I suppose to some extent, where he plays depends a bit on how fit Buddy is.

Senior Player
    Parker interviewed today by Dwyane Russell: https://twitter.com/DwaynesWorldSEN/...481633792?s=19.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Do they persist with Melican? Hayward?
    I suspect if Allir wasn't traded, Melican would be depth.

I didn't have him best 22 before Allir went, but there's no one else. He is serviceable - as noted he has bad days, but his good days are good. Maybe with time he will be more consistent. He's 24.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post

I didn't have him best 22 before Allir went, but there's no one else. He is serviceable - as noted he has bad days, but his good days are good. Maybe with time he will be more consistent. He's 24.
    Melican was pretty good last year. Let's not jump the gun. Pressure on ball carrier important in helping out defence.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We need to review our expectations of Reid. For his whole career he has been judged on his potential, or brief glimpses of good play.

But he's getting on now, and his best footy is behind him. He should only be judged as the 2nd or 3rd tall marking target, and if he's asked to be no.1 forward we arent really fielding a competitive team.
    He would be amazing at AFL 9's though! Tall marking target with no contact allowed. Would be unstoppable!

Except AA struggled to hold down a position in defence last year

Different kind of players. While Aliir was a tall defender, he was more an interceptor and rebound player than a KPD.

Melican has shown time and time again he's not up to scratch with the good KPFs, hes too slow off the mark and gets easily between one-on-one. Would much rather Brand or Fox in his role.

I think that Melican missed having Lloyd in the back line. Campbell will be a good replacement for Mills, however with Rampe being rusty exposed Melican.. MaCartin is a keeper in the back line, agree could be AA. Fox is a toiler.. Giants forwards played well and got the rub of the Green...:-)

Our forwards were to small for the delivery in the first half. Kick high and hope... McDonald provided a marking option after half time when the Giants had a snooze. Reid is not a solution for ruck and forward. (Not sure there is a fit for him unless Melican is outplayed and we need a 3rd tall defender. Off the bench, but needs to be fit and hungry!)

Wicks, Gulden, Warner and McDonald all put their hands up high for a start. Campbell is a lock.

Depth is looking good at this stage.

I agree Warner looked sharp. Stevens and McInerney

I still believe that O'Roirdan will fit into the back line during the year.

At risk of missing starting team Reid, Clarke, Sinclair, Haywood, Ling,

Hickey is serviceable! (bigger tank than Sinclair)

Rusty

Heeny, Rampe, Dawson.

Mills will need to improve for me to be sold on his new position. Young mids may force him to return to the back line.

Rod_

Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    I think that Melican missed having Lloyd in the back line. Campbell will be a good replacement for Mills, however with Rampe being rusty exposed Melican.. MaCartin is a keeper in the back line, agree could be AA. Fox is a toiler.. Giants forwards played well and got the rub of the Green...:-)

Our forwards were to small for the delivery in the first half. Kick high and hope... McDonald provided a marking option after half time when the Giants had a snooze. Reid is not a solution for ruck and forward. (Not sure there is a fit for him unless Melican is outplayed and we need a 3rd tall defender. Off the bench, but needs to be fit and hungry!)

Wicks, Gulden, Warner and McDonald all put their hands up high for a start. Campbell is a lock.

Depth is looking good at this stage.

I agree Warner looked sharp. Stevens and McInerney

I still believe that O'Roirdan will fit into the back line during the year.

At risk of missing starting team Reid, Clarke, Sinclair, Haywood, Ling,

Hickey is serviceable! (bigger tank than Sinclair)

Rusty

Heeny, Rampe, Dawson.

Mills will need to improve for me to be sold on his new position. Young mids may force him to return to the back line.

Rod_
    I think Rod is mostly right in these comments.

Generally speaking, we are being a bit harsh on some players. Melican can be vulnerable covering players on the lead. He takes some time to adjust to reading the play. He has some things that need improvement, but chances are that he'll find his rhythm once the season gets underway in earnest. Most of the problems in our backline stemmed from missed coverage in the zone defence, something to be expected with a young inexperienced team.

Reid plays a solid game as a 2nd tall defender. We shouldn't expect him to be a Buddy Franklin replacement. Our whole forward line is a work in progress and going through a transition. It will take a couple of years and we need Franklin playing to a high standard to help smooth out the transition.

I get a sense that Longmire has a good feel for where we are as a team and has taken a good approach to the season. Leadership, starting from the head coach, will be more important than individual performances. We are going to have a lot of players developing their games on the go. The management of their development and expectations will be critical.

I'm not concerned about selection issues, knowing that we are a work in progress and not every part of the game plan will gel from the get go. There's going to be lapses in efficiency and drop offs in form along the way.

I think we're on the right track. I'm approaching the season with patience and optimism.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Very enjoyable match. The results in these AAMI Community games don't matter as much as the processes. You want to see everyone putting their best foot forward and making it a challenge for the match selection committee to whittle this talented squad down to just 22 players. They did that today, and to think there was no Lance, no Jmac, no Dylan, no Lloyd, no Gould, no McClean. That is some real talent on the sidelines.

I gave 5 votes for Luke Parker. Just a bull in the centre, and going forward to impact the scoreboard. It's a rare thing you only see in the very best - Dusty, Fyfe, Danger, the Bont. He has played a selfless role the past few seasons but with some kids stepping up he might be able to get on the receiving end of that hard work!!

4 votes for JPK. Started slow but had worked his way into the game sublimely after half time. Got us back into it, brought the kids into the game. The consummate captains performance.

3 votes for Jimmy Rowbottom. All class. Rarely makes a mistake, tireless worker, gets into the right places. It seems he hits the scoreboard every week I watch him over the past year or so. Moves so well. He is a pure talent.

2 votes for Tom McCarthin. BEAST until he went off about midway thru the third. Marked and spoilt everything that came his way. Looked scratchy when he came back on but I'd already seen enough to know we are looking at our next great full back.

1 vote for Sam Wicks. What a ferocious tackler! I pity the fool who dares to possess the ball in his path. Did anyone see that moment he sent a Giants player into the turf with his bump? Great stuff!! Taking the game by the horns!!

Honourable mentions must go to Warner, who was dynamic with his burst out of stoppages, delighted with his progress this year; Braeden and Errol who both used the ball so incredibly well, neither looked out of place; Logan!! That mark! That goal! I quite liked Florent's game but still would like to see a bit more consistency in how he approaches each quarter.

Thrilled with what I saw today! We might have lost but i am brimming with optimism about our chances this year, though some may say that is a naive attitude to have to a preseason game! But if having faith is wrong, then i dont wanna be right!!
    Wicks might give 150% but he is not gifted as a footballer. Looks like a deer in headlights when he has the pill. He has big heart and is a welcomed addition to the list but if he is in our best team then we deserve to be bottom four again. What more can Florent do for you ?? Does he have to sell you his liver? his kidney ? He was great and looks primed to lead the midfield, unlike your mate who barely got a touch out of the centre, just relied on possessions in general play. Won't get away with that for long. Good for him he can hit the scoreboard because he was lagging badly in the key areas needed for an on-baller.

Campbell and Gulden look the goods. Havent seen such a nice touch off the boot from two first year players in a long time. Harked back to the first time we saw Dawson in a scratchie after being drafted. Happy days if they can keep it up