Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Swans vs Giants Solitary Pre-season Match

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Agree our forward line was too short for the delivery, but I'm not convinced it was adding McDonald that changed things around so much as a change in delivery. The point at which we started to get back into the game was towards the end of the second quarter when Dawson burst through the middle and put the ball straight onto Parker's chest. It was almost like the rest of the team went "oh, maybe we should try kicking to a player..."

I think Dawson is wasted in defence. I understand that they think his long kicking is an advantage, but he never looks at ease there. But move him forward and his ability to deliver the ball to the advantage of a forward starts to make a big difference. Buddy can do the same - if he ever gets back out onto the paddock - and I'm looking forward to McInerney forcing his way back into the side for the same reason. On limited viewing Errol and Braedon seem like they understand that's kinda the point.

I've been a long-time member of the "Mills is wasted in defence" brigade, but I confess I found it hard watching that game to squash the question in my mind - as our defence was in disarray and our more seasoned centre bounce brigade stationary and flat-flooted - of whether he might not be better where he's been. Of course, it's too early to determine, but the zip of Florent, Rowbottom and Warner was more exiting to watch than Mills, Kennedy and Parker standing and watching the Giants clear the ball to the outside with ease.
    I don't think he's wasted in defence. He's an elite defender. I suspect he'll find his way back there soon. We have other options in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think Rod is mostly right in these comments.

Generally speaking, we are being a bit harsh on some players. Melican can be vulnerable covering players on the lead. He takes some time to adjust to reading the play. He has some things that need improvement, but chances are that he'll find his rhythm once the season gets underway in earnest. Most of the problems in our backline stemmed from missed coverage in the zone defence, something to be expected with a young inexperienced team.

Reid plays a solid game as a 2nd tall defender. We shouldn't expect him to be a Buddy Franklin replacement. Our whole forward line is a work in progress and going through a transition. It will take a couple of years and we need Franklin playing to a high standard to help smooth out the transition.

I get a sense that Longmire has a good feel for where we are as a team and has taken a good approach to the season. Leadership, starting from the head coach, will be more important than individual performances. We are going to have a lot of players developing their games on the go. The management of their development and expectations will be critical.

I'm not concerned about selection issues, knowing that we are a work in progress and not every part of the game plan will gel from the get go. There's going to be lapses in efficiency and drop offs in form along the way.

I think we're on the right track. I'm approaching the season with patience and optimism.
    While it’s certainly true that Melican did not have a great game, it’s worth remembering that the rules have been engineered to assist teams going forward and that defenders now have an almost impossible role if the midfield cannot control clearances.

Patience is the key here.

I’ve always thought that Melican reminds of Reg and like Grundy needed Ted to truly believe in himself mature into a great defender with McCartin next to him and Rampe et al, nearby I think that he too can become both more reliable and a real asset. He has genuine pace, is a good kick and mark, is blessed with true courage and loves the club after a horrible run with injuries.
    He has his faults like Reg he gives away silly free kicks under pressure and can be too player conscious instead of focusing on his strengths.

Of course, it's too early to determine, but the zip of Florent, Rowbottom and Warner was more exiting to watch than Mills, Kennedy and Parker standing and watching the Giants clear the ball to the outside with ease.
    It's hard to admit, but I agree with this. Definite changing of the guard needed.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

I've been a long-time member of the "Mills is wasted in defence" brigade, but I confess I found it hard watching that game to squash the question in my mind - as our defence was in disarray and our more seasoned centre bounce brigade stationary and flat-flooted - of whether he might not be better where he's been. Of course, it's too early to determine, but the zip of Florent, Rowbottom and Warner was more exiting to watch than Mills, Kennedy and Parker standing and watching the Giants clear the ball to the outside with ease.
    To be fair to Mills, this is a coaching mistake. Our centre bounce mix should never include more than two of Kennedy, Mills and Parker at once. That's too static and slow a grouping. They have other choices in Rowbottom, Florent, even Blakey at times that give us the capacity to both win the ball, but burst away with it.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Sitting on the flank, I've spent a lot of time watching Melican. He usually protects the inside 50 by letting his opponent get in front of him and take an uncontested mark outside 50. I get this is effective, in the sense the guy probably can't score and it gives defenders time to set up behind the ball, but it leads to a deep inside 50 and the occasional long range goal.

IMHO he needs to follow the guy out more often and make it a contested possession. On balance, I feel he's just too defensive. With the new standing the mark rule, I'm not sure his current strategy will hold up. The increased speed of play won't allow the defenders behind him time to set up, and the opponent will find targets more easily because you can't protect the corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by AnsweredPrayers View Post
    Sitting on the flank, I've spent a lot of time watching Melican. He usually protects the inside 50 by letting his opponent get in front of him and take an uncontested mark outside 50. I get this is effective, in the sense the guy probably can't score and it gives defenders time to set up behind the ball, but it leads to a deep inside 50 and the occasional long range goal.

IMHO he needs to follow the guy out more often and make it a contested possession. On balance, I feel he's just too defensive. With the new standing the mark rule, I'm not sure his current strategy will hold up. The increased speed of play won't allow the defenders behind him time to set up, and the opponent will find targets more easily because you can't protect the corridor.
    That's a neat observation. Surely, assuming you're right, that's down to the coaching - not Melican?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Lions will be fielding 3 200cm mobile forwards in R1. We don't have much choice but to play Melican, given Gould still seems out of favour and Brand is injured.

Our defence will need as much help as possible. If we lose the centre bounce / restarts and allow the ball to slingshot from our F50, it could get very ugly against the Lions. As well as the tall timber, they can also hurt the opposition with their smalls and goal kicking mids.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Lions will be fielding 3 200cm mobile forwards in R1. We don't have much choice but to play Melican, given Gould still seems out of favour and Brand is injured.

Our defence will need as much help as possible. If we lose the centre bounce / restarts and allow the ball to slingshot from our F50, it could get very ugly against the Lions. As well as the tall timber, they can also hurt the opposition with their smalls and goal kicking mids.
    Brisbane just lost Rayner, who's probably their toughest match up. They will free up Rampe to play on someone a bit taller like Hipwood. Mccartin a no brainer on Daniher, and will be a brilliant match up to watch.
    If they play the new basketballer, Melican is a straight forward match up there and should account for him.

Big O will be a tough match up when he floats forward, but you'd think he would swap with Daniher, so McCartin can shift between.

I don't think height will be the issue for us against them, but their quality on ball, and versatile backline.

Quote Originally Posted by AnsweredPrayers View Post

Yes, this is a great observation. I sit on the wing (O'Reilly Stand, of course), and always thought that Melican plays very much in the Mattner role—zoning off rather than playing a hard man-on-man, and doing a fair bit of the marshaling work floating across CHB, closing the corridor and, as you say, allowing his direct opponent possessions outside the arc. When it works, the defence is best conceived as a coherent unit, rather than a series of one-on-ones. I still rate him, and in general am not too concerned about reading form lines in preseason games. Lots of shaking down going on; a nice effort third quarter, and then a racked cue for the fourth quarter: getting some game time into people without risking damage.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    That's a neat observation. Surely, assuming you're right, that's down to the coaching - not Melican?
    If Melican is on a prodigious goal scorer, eg Tom Hawkins, the coaches would be delighted to them outside 50. If he's on a mediocre third tall then I suspect they'd want a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Brisbane just lost Rayner, who's probably their toughest match up. They will free up Rampe to play on someone a bit taller like Hipwood. Mccartin a no brainer on Daniher, and will be a brilliant match up to watch.
    If they play the new basketballer, Melican is a straight forward match up there and should account for him.

Big O will be a tough match up when he floats forward, but you'd think he would swap with Daniher, so McCartin can shift between.

I don't think height will be the issue for us against them, but their quality on ball, and versatile backline.
    Rayner had been slated for more on ball time with Neale, Zorko and Lyon drifting forward.
    What we need to stop are the quick, repeat inside 50 entries. The Lions have the height advantage but also are lethal at ground level, especially with Cameron and Zorko lurking around the feet of their talls.

A friend of mine was watching the Port Power game on the weekend and said to me that he could not believe that we traded Aliir. He said Aliir took numerous intercept marks in defence and looked the part. However, he also remarked that Aliir was playing on Tillthorpe, a young key forward who is too skinny at present to compete in the air with the likes of Aliir.

Like some others on here, I'm worried about Mellican. He has a history of being outmarked by good forwards. I believe that we re-signed him for 3 years at the end of last season. Let's hope he can step up to reflect that faith. He is way off the Grundy level at this stage.