Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Swans vs Giants Solitary Pre-season Match

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think Dawson is wasted in defence. I understand that they think his long kicking is an advantage, but he never looks at ease there. But move him forward and his ability to deliver the ball to the advantage of a forward starts to make a big difference.

I've been a long-time member of the "Mills is wasted in defence" brigade, but I confess I found it hard watching that game to squash the question in my mind - as our defence was in disarray and our more seasoned centre bounce brigade stationary and flat-flooted - of whether he might not be better where he's been. Of course, it's too early to determine, but the zip of Florent, Rowbottom and Warner was more exiting to watch than Mills, Kennedy and Parker standing and watching the Giants clear the ball to the outside with ease.
    I've had many posts now advocating for Mills to the midfield and Dawson to the forward line.

Part of my reason was that we had a number of good prospects that could take their place in the defence, like Gould and Ling. Also Fox and COR have been doing a good job and both can make a claim for being in the side on a regular basis. And now Campbell is slated to be a counterattack weapon coming out of defence. Swapping Dawson and Hayward between forward and defence looks a better option than what we had on Sunday.

One sluggish game doesn't make Mills a bad midfielder. I would reserve judgment for now. I think Mills would have had a sluggish game whatever position he played. It was just an off day. I also commented about the disarray our defence was in, leaving so many loose Giants to take easy marks inside 50. It shows how much Lloyd contributes to the team. Rampe's poor day didn't help either. I will get concerned if that sort of performance persists a few games into the season.

I certainly agree with your point about how slow our midfield looked and have already suggested more forward line time for Kennedy and Parker and more stints in the midfield for Heeney. I certainly concur the more of Florent, Rowbottom and Warner is needed at centre bounces.

I think we have a moving the magnets problem. With so many good kids coming through at once, we have to shuffle the magnets on the board to find the best positional combination. A lot will just be trial and error. Hewett playing in defence appears to be one of those trials, but I can't say what I took out of it. Do I want to see more of that? I'm not sure, but willing to try.

Double Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    A friend of mine was watching the Port Power game on the weekend and said to me that he could not believe that we traded Aliir. He said Aliir took numerous intercept marks in defence and looked the part. However, he also remarked that Aliir was playing on Tillthorpe, a young key forward who is too skinny at present to compete in the air with the likes of Aliir.

Like some others on here, I'm worried about Mellican. He has a history of being outmarked by good forwards. I believe that we re-signed him for 3 years at the end of last season. Let's hope he can step up to reflect that faith. He is way off the Grundy level at this stage.
    At the time of the Aliir trade I posted something like:

AA @ PA = AA

Might come true.

Brand should be ready to play soon. He's not on the injury list. If Melican doesn't show more in the coming weeks, we will probably make a swap there. I can see us using our 1st round pick in this year's draft on a fullback. Paddy McCartin is an option at the mid season draft.

Why are we discounting Fox as a KPD? Thought he looked the goods as Rampe's replacement down there last year

Dawson has as the say in sport "plenty of runway" and he will continue to evolve in several roles on the field

I suspect he will drift into positions where his kick can make the biggest difference...... along with gaining advantages over opposition line ups

I love Dawson drifting down when needed around the edge of our attacking arc and kicking long range goals as much as as setting up play / transition via kick accurate long kicks

His tank and metres covered have improved so much last 18months and he can play 4 or 5 roles when needed
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Why are we discounting Fox as a KPD? Thought he looked the goods as Rampe's replacement down there last year
    Too short. I don't think he's the next Leo Barry. Fox can play tall, but not tall enough to cover the likes of Joe Daniher and Ben King. There are so many 2 metre key forwards in the game now.

Did anyone notice that perfect RIGHT foot Daswon kick that led to the Blakey goal?
    Last edited by Ludwig; 9th March 2021 at 01:22 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Too short. I don't think he's the next Leo Barry. Fox can play tall, but not tall enough to cover the likes of Joe Daniher and Ben King. There are so many 2 metre key forwards in the game now.

Barry was a freak in the way he was able to play on forwards so much bigger than he was. But he also played in an era where defenders were allowed to scrag and chop and bump far more than they are nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Wicks might give 150% but he is not gifted as a footballer. Looks like a deer in headlights when he has the pill. He has big heart and is a welcomed addition to the list but if he is in our best team then we deserve to be bottom four again. What more can Florent do for you ?? Does he have to sell you his liver? his kidney ? He was great and looks primed to lead the midfield, unlike your mate who barely got a touch out of the centre, just relied on possessions in general play. Won't get away with that for long. Good for him he can hit the scoreboard because he was lagging badly in the key areas needed for an on-baller.

Campbell and Gulden look the goods. Havent seen such a nice touch off the boot from two first year players in a long time. Harked back to the first time we saw Dawson in a scratchie after being drafted. Happy days if they can keep it up
    Strongly disagree with most of what you have written here. Wicks is involved in many Swans goals, you dont see it until the replays and you notice his deft touch or shepherds to set up a teammate in a better position. Invaluable. Modern game is all about forward 50 pressure, like it or not. 9 tackles for Wicks. That will see him in the rd 1 team and thankfully John Longmire won’t need your approval !

Your “your mate” comment i am going to assume is about Rowbottom, because what else do you have to moan about if not him. You have said in the past that you have high expectations of him but isnt that a bit unfair ? He posted similar numbers to Hewett who is 5 years older than him, Florent who is 2 years older than him, and Warner who is only 1 year younger than him. He is the one you choose to single out again and say that he didnt have enough impact. He is only 20 years old for goodness sakes. He was awesome. Only two players on the ground on Sunday had double digits in contested possessions while going at over 80% disposal efficiency ... one of them was Josh Kelly, i will leave it to you to guess who the other one was !

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    A friend of mine was watching the Port Power game on the weekend and said to me that he could not believe that we traded Aliir. He said Aliir took numerous intercept marks in defence and looked the part. However, he also remarked that Aliir was playing on Tillthorpe, a young key forward who is too skinny at present to compete in the air with the likes of Aliir.

Like some others on here, I'm worried about Mellican. He has a history of being outmarked by good forwards. I believe that we re-signed him for 3 years at the end of last season. Let's hope he can step up to reflect that faith. He is way off the Grundy level at this stage.
    I think when it comes to Aliir, I'd back the club, who barely uttered a word when he said he wanted to go. Sure, Aliir will have some good
    games but his chances of turning into a week-in, week out great defender like Rampe or Smith or Grundy are pretty close to zero.
    Besides he wanted more money than we wanted to pay him.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Barry was a freak in the way he was able to play on forwards so much bigger than he was. But he also played in an era where defenders were allowed to scrag and chop and bump far more than they are nowadays.
    Great comment about Fox versus Leaping Leo! So true. Ludwig also made this important point about Fox's lack of height. We desperately need a tall, key defender to establish themselves alongside McCartin. The hope is Mellican but if not him then Brand perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Strongly disagree with most of what you have written here. Wicks is involved in many Swans goals, you dont see it until the replays and you notice his deft touch or shepherds to set up a teammate in a better position. Invaluable. Modern game is all about forward 50 pressure, like it or not. 9 tackles for Wicks. That will see him in the rd 1 team and thankfully John Longmire won’t need your approval !
    I'm glad you posted this. I strongly agree. Wicks is anything but a 'deer in the headlights'. He's been the most impressive surprise package of the pre-season (with Warner a close second). I've found Wicks to be a quick decision maker for someone of such limited experience. His hands are quick and he's always been a goal kicker. We don't have many success stories that come to the Swans as a Cat B Academy rookies, but Wicks looks the real deal. I have had the expectation that this route to the AFL is probably doomed to fail, but Wicks is proving the exception. It's hard to fit everyone into the Round 1 side, but I hope Wicks makes it through. He deserves it.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Yes I thought Fox was doing well towards the end of last season and I prefer him to Melican. But as he is injured this is the way it is for now.