Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy hypothetical

Buddy hypothetical

I was just musing with a buddy (pun partially intended) of mine about life after 2022.

Bud’s mega deal is done.

But - hear me out - what if Bud isn’t completely shot. He might only play 50-60% of the matches in the final 2 years of his current contract, but the lighter workload makes it manageable for him. What if he’s still kicking 2-3 a game (that he plays in), drawing the best 1-2 defenders, taking the load off the developing LoMac (you heard that terrible nick name first right here!).

Now, let’s say Bud reaches the end of 2022 and the Swans development has fast tracked beyond expectation. Bud‘s bod, surprisingly, Is holding up. He’s enjoying his footy and the club and his teammates. And says “Horse, I want to go around and other year ... maybe 2. I realise I’ve been paid overs for 9 years, especially those last few. But I’m enjoying my footy again. I see something special happening here. How about I sign one year deals on a greatly reduced rate ($200-300K?) so I can keep playing without being a weight on the cap and not have the expectation week in week out. I’ll play when I can. But you now have freedom to recruit another marquee player and we can hopefully all enjoy the success you recruited me for”

Would such a deal work? Would you want it as a Swans supporter?

100%
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    I was just musing with a buddy (pun partially intended) of mine about life after 2022.

Bud’s mega deal is done.

But - hear me out - what if Bud isn’t completely shot. He might only play 50-60% of the matches in the final 2 years of his current contract, but the lighter workload makes it manageable for him. What if he’s still kicking 2-3 a game (that he plays in), drawing the best 1-2 defenders, taking the load off the developing LoMac (you heard that terrible nick name first right here!).

Now, let’s say Bud reaches the end of 2022 and the Swans development has fast tracked beyond expectation. Bud‘s bod, surprisingly, Is holding up. He’s enjoying his footy and the club and his teammates. And says “Horse, I want to go around and other year ... maybe 2. I realise I’ve been paid overs for 9 years, especially those last few. But I’m enjoying my footy again. I see something special happening here. How about I sign one year deals on a greatly reduced rate ($200-300K?) so I can keep playing without being a weight on the cap and not have the expectation week in week out. I’ll play when I can. But you now have freedom to recruit another marquee player and we can hopefully all enjoy the success you recruited me for”

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Bud’s mega deal is done.

It’s a massive if, he still hasn’t played a game in 18 months.
    He’ll be 36 in 2023.

Hopefully cyborgs fall outside the salary cap

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar

Bud’s mega deal is done.

Won't happen because this body is rooted already, let alone in a couple of year's time. But if somehow he makes it through to then I'd say absolutely.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Bud’s mega deal is done.

Stranger things have happened in the wide world of sport (James Samuel Morris Jr,, George Foreman, Danny Lennon, Isaak Hayik, Michael Jordan - with the Wizards).

Alastair Lynch - though we wouldn’t want to see Buddy’s very last game go the way Lynch’s did!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Alastair Lynch - though we wouldn’t want to see Buddy’s very last game go the way Lynch’s did!
    I don't think you have much to worry about Meg. That sort of carry-on is not really Buddy's style.
    I don't mind Lynch as a commentator, but he must shudder when he sees that footage of himself in the 2004 GF.

I think it’s entirely possible. The question I ask is does Buddy have the commitment of a Tom Brady? If you want to push the old man boundaries you have to follow Tom. Is Buddy spending his whole life from 5.30am in the morning until 8.30pm at night entirely focussed on winning. Is Buddy as religious with his diet as Brady is he doing his brain exercises at night?

Does he have a mentor like an Alex Guerrero, does he have a program like TB 12 to keep him playing deep into his late 30s?

If the answer is no, I would say he will be retired at the end of 2022. If he is displaying Brady like commitment then I’ve got no doubt that he could play until he is 40.

It’s really up to Buddy if he wants to commit like Brady. As Brady says “if your willing to compete agains me you better give up your life, because I will be giving up mine”.

Is Buddy as committed to his football as Brady? I don’t know the answer. I’ll leave the answer to those whom know Buddy.

Senior Player
    I'm not sure anyone is as committed to their football as Brady. Really Buddy, mind and body willing, will have to compete with the Tom
    McCartins of the other teams. That's not going to be easy. I'm sure he'd love to keep going but his body has been saying no for a while
    now. Anyways, looking forward to sitting in my regular seat this arvo to see the next chapter in a great story.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I'm not sure anyone is as committed to their football as Brady. Really Buddy, mind and body willing, will have to compete with the Tom
    McCartins of the other teams. That's not going to be easy. I'm sure he'd love to keep going but his body has been saying no for a while
    now. Anyways, looking forward to sitting in my regular seat this arvo to see the next chapter in a great story.
    Yep, I think if he is managed, as it seems he is and will be, he enjoys the game so much that he will keep going as long as he feels he is contributing. For us fans, there’s nothing more exciting than seeing Buddy on the field, anticipating what might happen when he is near the ball. There’s no doubting his commitment! Come on Bloods!

Veterans List
    Brad Ottens, wasn't he the Geelong ruckman who only appeared late in the season and finals?

Never say never but about 1% likely to go another year. We can only hope :-)

Buddy could be finished this year.

When I think about the buddy deal, the club must have planned for a draft led rebuild all along.
    They brought him in to try and get a flag in the mid-late 2010's, and then backloaded his contract so they we'd need to offload other players at the turn of the decade, fall down the ladder and rebuild via the draft. When these young kids start asking for more $$, buddy will be gone.

He's really playing a teaching role rather than trying to win games.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast