Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Sydney vs Richmond: Game day thread

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Fascinatingly, we only laid 38 tackles - there was time when we needed it to be closer to 100 before we considered it a true Swans performance. How times have changed.
    Well when you keep control of the ball you don't need to tackle 🙂. But still 38 tackles does seem low considering how much we pressured them.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Well when you keep control of the ball you don't need to tackle 🙂. But still 38 tackles does seem low considering how much we pressured them.
    Some fascinating stats on OTC tonight, not all of which I confess I understood. But they mentioned our "post-clearance pressure" - which appeared to apply specifically to acts performed after a clearance - had been outstanding. As well, our kicking rating (as opposed to simple efficiency, as it takes into account the difficulty of the kick) was now #1 in competition. Speaking of which, how long will it be before Erol is tagged? I've never been so excited about the ball being in the hands of a guy playing his third game - every time he touches it, he seems to break the game wide open.

Some fascinating stats on OTC tonight, not all of which I confess I understood. But they mentioned our "post-clearance pressure" - which appeared to apply specifically to acts performed after a clearance - had been outstanding. As well, our kicking rating (as opposed to simple efficiency, as it takes into account the difficulty of the kick) was now #1 in competition. Speaking of which, how long will it be before Erol is tagged? I've never been so excited about the ball being in the hands of a guy playing his third game - every time he touches it, he seems to break the game wide open.
    He has exceptional vision, beautiful skills and balance. He is exciting to watch

That pin point kick 50m across the square to open up play on Saturday... just wow! Great vision, great skills and great execution.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Has anyone put this link up yet? Here it is anyway.

Sydney V Richmond - The Good, Bad and Ugly - The Mongrel Punt

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    That pin point kick 50m across the square to open up play on Saturday... just wow! Great vision, great skills and great execution.
    That was an outrageous kick. It reflects the ROK comments in another thread about how well the Swans academy does in teaching technical basics from a young age. His kicking is all about timing and technique, not size and power, given how (relatively) diminutive he is.

I've watched a bit of Gulden over the last couple of years, and have waxed lyrically at times about his football ability. But I confess I've been taken aback at how good his kicking is at the very highest level. I'd have said his best asset was his footy nous, closely followed by endurance/work rate. I rated his skills as good, rather than something that might be a significant asset at AFL level.

At U18 level and (based on a much smaller sample of views) SFL level, he was most often playing in more of an onball role. Even in his handful of 2019 NEAFL outings, his most impactful performance was in the final quarter of an elimination final against Sydney Uni where the Swans were several goals down, he was sent into the centre bounces, and he was influential in turning things around, but more with his pressure and work-rate than clean possessions and disposal.

I guess that playing in the clutches many of his kicks were under pressure or rushed. I certainly don't recall seeing anything like the kicks he's been offloading this year.
    Last edited by liz; 6th April 2021 at 12:06 AM. Reason: punctuation / typos

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    That was an outrageous kick. It reflects the ROK comments in another thread about how well the Swans academy does in teaching technical basics from a young age. His kicking is all about timing and technique, not size and power, given how (relatively) diminutive he is.

I've watched a bit of Gulden over the last couple of years, and have waxed lyrically at times about his football ability. But I confess I've been taken aback at how good his kicking is at the very highest level. I'd have said his best asset was his footy nous, closely followed by endurance/work rate. I rated his skills as good, rather than something that might be a significant asset at AFL level.

At U18 level and (based on a much smaller sample of views, SFL level) he was most often playing in more on an onball role. Even in his handful of 2019 NEAFL outings, his most impactful performance was in the final quarter of an elimination final against Sydney Uni where the Swans were several goals down, he was sent into the centre bounces, and he was influential in turning things around, but more with his pressure and work-rate than clean possessions and disposal.

I guess that playing in the clutches many of his kicks were under pressure or rushed. I certainly don't recall seeing anything like the kicks he's been offloading this year.
    Yes, exactly. And I would've thrown in tackling ability, after that Uni final; where he kept on putting more mature midfielders into the turf.

Another thing that has surprised me a touch, about both him and Campbell, is that their decision making has seemed just as good, or better, than most of the more experienced players. Gulden especially, has been constantly choosing the right options, almost instantaneously. Which is impressive, as I'm sure there's an increase in the pace of the game, from academy to NEAFL, then a further step from NEAFL to AFL. And I do tend to think, the ability to read the game and the speed of processing, are a couple of the major factors, in separating the very good from the elite.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Goal of the Week.

"Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veteran Site Admin
    That style of goal was a Paul Kelly special. Haven't seen many (in red and white) for the last couple of decades.

yep....... there is only "one" Chad !!!

the kid is on the rise.

Said that he hooked into sprint training and you can really notice his explosion from the contest looks dramatically different let alone his 2nd pre season and being able to run all game.

I loved the body positioning in and around him finding the ball at 12 oclock.

Chad was low, angled, adjusting, active and watching the ball....... but open body movements ready to capitalise on the 12 oclock movement of the ball if it presented !!

and he nailed it !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

the kid is on the rise.

Said that he hooked into sprint training and you can really notice his explosion from the contest looks dramatically different let alone his 2nd pre season and being able to run all game.

Chad was low, angled, adjusting, active and watching the ball....... but open body movements ready to capitalise on the 12 oclock movement of the ball if it presented !!

and he nailed it !
    Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Great post.
    Umm....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

the kid is on the rise.

and he nailed it !
    For the uninitiated, please explain 12 o'clock. The other stuff can wait.