Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-match Discussion: Round 4 V Bombers @SCG

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    You'd think the Bombers defenders are going to have their hands full. I think Buddy might be given a bit a bit too much latitude (ie only one
    guy on him) as now Essendon are going to be worried about everyone in our forward line. He may kick a bunch.
    Key defender Jordan Ridley won their B&F last year and is off to a great start this year. But Essendon will be without Hurley and Mason Redman, who injured his hamstring yesterday, while Hooker is now playing forward. So they may be light on the defensive end and could be exploited if we can get good separation, taking Ridley away from the marking contests as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Key defender Jordan Ridley won their B&F last year and is off to a great start this year. But Essendon will be without Hurley and Mason Redman, who injured his hamstring yesterday, while Hooker is now playing forward. So they may be light on the defensive end and could be exploited if we can get good separation, taking Ridley away from the marking contests as much as possible.
    And as one of the commentators more or less said on the weekend; our forward line is now a dangerous place for opposition defenders to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    “Right now we are just letting anyone in”.

Wow. We are Australia, the great egalitarian society. Any person can come to the football as long as they don’t display dangerous or unacceptable behaviour.

If people don’t know the players, does it matter?

If people are looking at their phones (as long as there is no inappropriate imagery), does it matter?

If people want to sing along to the ground announcer song, does it matter?

If people are waving a cardboard sign with a corporation name on it, that’s fantastic. The corporate sponsors keep wanting to invest in the Swans when that occurs.

Loud conversations on phones can be annoying if people are not considerate of others around them.

Society spends all its time being concerned or outraged about what other people are doing. That’s leading individuals to feel a lack of control in their own lives and subsequently their mental health suffers.

Focus on why you love going to the football, focus on the beauty of the game. Focus on the great escape that football is providing to you.

If you are going to the football it’s all about “you”, not about what others are doing (as long as others behaviour is within acceptable standards).
    Well said. KTigers has always been measured and passionate but I think that he erred in his assessment in his post.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Well said. KTigers has always been measured and passionate but I think that he erred in his assessment in his post.
    See post 30.

Earlier posts have discussed there being a big crowd on Thursday night. I think the emphasis when it comes to crowds at the SCG should
    on quality rather than quantity. Right now they are just letting anyone in.
    🤣😁🤣

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

I think the SCG will fill to its Covert capacity.
    If it's at capacity, it'll hardly be "Covert".

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    See post 30.
    Seriously, if KTigers was joking, he needs to work on his delivery.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Seriously, if KTigers was joking, he needs to work on his delivery.
    I don't think he was joking. Quite the opposite. More hyperbolic wishful thinking that was not intended to be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    McLean did an awesome job running Andrews away from the contest in R1. I wonder whether Reid makes way for Buddy instead of McLean? It would be a shame because Reid is playing well but if we can nullify Ridley, their defence and attack will be severely curtailed.

Earlier posts have discussed there being a big crowd on Thursday night. I think the emphasis when it comes to crowds at the SCG should
    on quality rather than quantity. Right now they are just letting anyone in. There are people there who want to sing along with an old Neil
    Diamond song. There are people who are prepared to wave a cardboard sign around with a corporations name on it. There are people who
    look at their phones the entire game whilst talking about their sex life loudly. There are people there that don't know Buddy's surname.
    We talk about the character of the team and how important it is ad nauseam. What about the character of the crowd?
    People jumping on the bandwagon is a positive. For every 100 bandwagon supporters, there is going to be a number that will get sufficiently interested and invested to become rusted on. It's the main way for a club to build it's supporter base for the long term. Plus, there's nothing like a full SCG to pump up the atmosphere and further build hype. If we just reserved it for the diehards, our club (and the code) would just die a slow death (like rugby union).

Veterans List
    Looks like a nice day On Thursday. Hopefully the greasy, dewy grounds starting around this time don't happen this week. We are playing top of the ground footy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    McLean did an awesome job running Andrews away from the contest in R1. I wonder whether Reid makes way for Buddy instead of McLean? It would be a shame because Reid is playing well but if we can nullify Ridley, their defence and attack will be severely curtailed.
    I think this makes sense both from your analysis as well as from a management of Reid perspective. An ageing tall with a history of soft tissue injuries plus a 5 day turnaround.

McLean has been excellent both as a fool for others and a threat himself. His mark and goal halting one of the few times Richmond had real momentum was very impressive.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast