Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chad Warner - Round 3 Rising Star nominee

Pushing for Selection
    Sydney threw the Richmond defence with the number of forward options. Kicking to Franklin should be just another option. We won the premiership in 2012 without a recognised full forward. Recruited two and that was that.

Player wise, him and Hickey have been the real surprises for me. When drafted, I think most of us thought that his main assets were his hard tackling and his willingness to stick his head in a contest. Last year, because of covid, he was largely anonymous. With his only senior appearances, being a couple of quiet games as a forward pocket. I think some of the more pessimistic types, were wondering if he was a draft bust.

But this year, his previously unnoticed attacking prowess has been something else. Throughout his three games, his fast hands, accurate kicks and quick thinking, have been integral to our rapid ball movement. But it's his work around the contests that has been most impressive. The way that he's flown in to get a ground ball and rapidly emerged with hardly a finger being laid on, has been exactly what we needed. That he usually topped it off with an incisive disposal, even more so. It's actually had me watching highlights packages, just to work out who he reminds me of. Is it Lachie Neale? Chris Judd? Paul Kelly? Just going on the running style, it's probably Kelly. Which is a very good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Now we need Logan to kick 8 goals against the Bombers to make it four in a row. (He might be able to get away with fewer than 8, but I'm adding in a safety margin.)
    I reckon it WILL have to be 8. The next winner will almost certainly be Kysaiah Pickett.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by HeeneyIsAGun View Post
    I reckon it WILL have to be 8. The next winner will almost certainly be Kysaiah Pickett.
    - Pickett is not eligible as he has already played more than 10 games before this season. See 2021 AFL Rising Stars Disposals Per Game Leaders for the "potential list"

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Future captain and Brownlow medalist. Book mark it.
    Lol you don't half arse your predictions do you

He is the right sort of flashy style player to be an Umpire's standout, so who knows on that account. And who knows what our list looks like in half a dozen years or so, when he might be beginning to come into the captaincy question.

Absolutely deserving of his nomination, and interesting to read back on his profile at the draft (Chad Warner - Aussie Rules Draft Central).

Great credit needs to be given to the coaching team at the Swans - its quite clear that he has made excellent leaps in developing some of his areas of weakness in his game, and still like all our younger players, has plenty of time to continue to develop (I think the comment in his draft profile around 'finesse by foot' remains to some degree valid). But he has outstanding potential, and will be exciting to see how he can develop from here.
    Last edited by mcs; 6th April 2021 at 10:57 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Outstanding, how much fun is all of this!

He's great fun to watch and apparently almost untacklable. And can he kick a goal!

There is part of me that feels a tad sad for Matt Rowell who will likely be the player of his generation, but guess if he is then he'll get plenty of other awards besides the Rising Star.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post

He is the right sort of flashy style player to be an Umpire's standout, so who knows on that account. And who knows what our list looks like in half a dozen years or so, when he might be beginning to come into the captaincy question.

Absolutely deserving of his nomination, and interesting to read back on his profile at the draft (Chad Warner - Aussie Rules Draft Central).

Great credit needs to be given to the coaching team at the Swans - its quite clear that he has made excellent leaps in developing some of his areas of weakness in his game, and still like all our younger players, has plenty of time to continue to develop (I think the comment in his draft profile around 'finesse by foot' remains to some degree valid). But he has outstanding potential, and will be exciting to see how he can develop from here.
    Essentially, the profile was projecting him to be somewhere between, the next Ryan Clarke and the next Jude Bolton. Seems to be exceeding expectations.

Chad Warner, the latest product of the little known, rarely spoken about, Sydney Swans West Australian Academy.

His pick up that lead to THAT goal was almost as good as the goal itself. That is very difficult on the run, and then the composure to kick it right through the sticks. That can’t be taught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Re Buddy & McDonald goal tallies.....I think we only have one guy that's allowed (by Buddy) to get a lot of goals.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    A funny part of Chad's performance was how pumped he got after that goal.

A few minutes later - just before the half time siren - he burst from the middle again, had Wicks and Reid free around 30m to 40m from goal, and just went - nah, I'm gonna bang this one through from 60m. Predictably came up a bit shy and offline. Normally, you'd castigate a young fella for that - but in the context of the game, no one cared.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post

Dont reckon i'll be wrong either. He is a special talent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast