Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 5: Swans vs GWS

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    In. Someone to stop Toby Green.
    Ling did a great job in the trial

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Wow - that does look very bad.
    There’s really no way to see that clearly and if he actually hit a guy in the head hard enough to break his own hand I’m sure we’d have known more about it immediately.

Bombers fans on Twitter are so gracious lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Ling did a great job in the trial
    I'm not sure why Bucks left Quaynor on Green for so long (5 goals and Green was creating a paddock for himself one on one against Quaynor) before moving Maynard onto him?
    Is Ling strong enough and smart enough to stop Green? Or would it be someone like Hewett?
    Who's played on him in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Looks like the Giants have their mojo back. It’s going to be a hard game to win. It will have to be another scrappy game. Losing Heeney is not great. There is enough chance that if we can get the ball in forward 50 we can win given their immature defensive line but getting there may not be easy. They were really good in the middle of the ground against Collingwood.
    They got their tough, inside game back. Helped by Mummy's EIGHT clearances. Mummy v Hickey could be an interesting battle. Our inside mids also seem to be finally winning the ball (we won the clearances 47-24 v Bombers and 31-25 v Tigers). In the past we had to beat the Giants on the inside to have any chance of winning, but I reckon our outside game is better than theirs now.

As evidenced by last year's stats: we lost clearances 31-35, lost inside 50s 33-52!! but smashed them on the scoreboard.

I think its going to be a good game. It's a shame Cogs isn't playing as they seem to go better when Toby's in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I'm not sure why Bucks left Quaynor on Green for so long (5 goals and Green was creating a paddock for himself one on one against Quaynor) before moving Maynard onto him?
    Is Ling strong enough and smart enough to stop Green? Or would it be someone like Hewett?
    Who's played on him in the past?

They got their tough, inside game back. Helped by Mummy's EIGHT clearances. Mummy v Hickey could be an interesting battle. Our inside mids also seem to be finally winning the ball (we won the clearances 47-24 v Bombers and 31-25 v Tigers). In the past we had to beat the Giants on the inside to have any chance of winning, but I reckon our outside game is better than theirs now.

As evidenced by last year's stats: we lost clearances 31-35, lost inside 50s 33-52!! but smashed them on the scoreboard.

I think its going to be a good game. It's a shame Cogs isn't playing as they seem to go better when Toby's in charge.
    Rampe v Greene could be a good match up. And Mumford v Hickey will be fun to watch. Three parts football, one part WWE. Though I would definitely back Hickey to win that battle.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Rampe v Greene could be a good match up. And Mumford v Hickey will be fun to watch. Three parts football, one part WWE. Though I would definitely back Hickey to win that battle.
    I would say Rampe but wont we need him to play tall unless we bring in another KPD?

Hickey will hopefully run off Mummy (if he survives) and do a lot of damage

Regular in the Side
    I just saw the Heeney punch on the Sunday Footy Show and it looks like he got him on the collarbone but the fact is he threw a punch and now his out of the team for 3 weeks at least maybe more not a good thing to do

I think Rampe will play on Finlayson and McCartin on Himmelberg. I see no reason why Cunningham isn’t given first crack at Toby but I can also see Hewitt be given the job. Dawson will probably play on Riccardi. If Melican comes back in, then Hewitt would miss out and Rampe would go to Greene. I wouldn’t be against this.

Realistically, we should win. GWS were definitely improved but Collingwood were pretty poor too. I used to be worried about being beaten by the Giant’s run and leg speed but it has all changed. They have a midfield of slowish bulls - Hopper, Taranto, Ward, Green. If we can match them at the clearances I think we can get them on the turnover with our speed and kicking.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    I just saw the Heeney punch on the Sunday Footy Show and it looks like he got him on the collarbone but the fact is he threw a punch and now his out of the team for 3 weeks at least maybe more not a good thing to do
    Was it a punch or an open hand hit? Makes a big difference. The Essendon player involved seemed fine afterwards. Still, not a good look.

I reckon Himmelberg is too mobile for McCartin. It probably ends up being McCartin on Finalyson, Rampe on Himmelberg, Cunningham on Greene, braeden on Brent Daniels/ Hill, Dawson on Brent Daniels/hill, Hewett on Taranto/ Hopper. But there are going to heaps of changes at the backline through the game as Himmelberg plays very high at times as a link up player, and Finlayson goes in ruck at times.

Middle of the ground will be very interesting. I reckon we can match them on the inside but our positioning and run on the outside will matter a lot. Need to control Josh Kelly on the outside and Brent Daniels and Bobby Hill. They seem to be the ones pumping the ball inside 50

I don’t think the Dons player was struck in the head; it doesn’t move, and he was totally unfazed by it. More like upper chest, shoulder.

Whatever Laidler says in the very little info he provides on the Reserves team, there is no way Melican can force his way into the 22. His current style of play is totally against how the side is playing fast open and attacking from the backline. I've watched Melican closely and he is on his heels most of the time and lacks the mindset of the current 22. I don't think Bell will remain in the 22 which means Rowbottom, Stephen or Ling will be in the 22. I'm disappointed to not see more spread across the Swans listed players in the Reserves from Laidler. Gould for one I'm looking for. The reserves have played Giants for last 4 weeks and will take them on again this next weekend at the oval next to SCG prior to main game. So we will have the opportunity to see for ourselves how all the players are actually going.

Toby Greene may be too strong in the air for Hewett, but in his favour, he did a good job on Dustin Martin. Rampe would normally play Himmelberg, but I think Dawson could take him instead and then Rampe could play on Greene. In any case, Toby has to be tagged all over the ground. He's too much of a weapon to be left on his own.

Our offense is going well, but our defence has been off this year. Maybe it's the rule changes. It's a bit too early to be sure. We should change things up a little to see if we can imp;rove our coverage. Replacing Hewett with Melican or another defender, as mentioned before, is one idea. Melican's one on one defending can be suspect, but he does like to play attacking football and has good speed, so fits in well with our game plan.

The way we're playing now is perfectly set up for Greene to have a big day against us.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 11th April 2021 at 03:00 PM.

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast