Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 5: Swans vs GWS

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I agree. The medium forward role is bloody hard. I like him and think he always puts in effort. He’s not Heeney but few are.
    +1. Hasn't developed the way we may have liked but not all his own fault I suspect and he unquestionably has the attributes to be an excellent AFL player. Hope he gets a crack this week.

Changes for Round 5: Swans vs GWS

There are two obvious changes required to the team from last weekend. Rampe and Heeney need to be replaced but as we saw last year when we lose these two players at the same time a great deal of the organisation both in attack and defence is lost.

Melican is a fine player but without Rampe he has tendency to play to recklessly in one on one contests. I would rather Fox come in but I doubt he is ready yet, so that said we have to make some structural changes. After watching Reid play live last week I would think he could be the person to fill the KDP high and let McCartin do the job deep. Especially given that Finlayson can get loose and we saw that against poor, slow defenders he is dangerous.

Instead of Reid use McLean as the relieving forward ruck. As we have seen Franklin is not a contested marking target and McDonald needs time alongside others to find his space and role. McLean can and has done this job twice this season so let him to do it again.

Hayward showed last year that he can do a great job as the defensive forward and might be the right matchup for Haynes. Making him responsible and also competitive in the air.

I like the suggestion of Hewitt onto Toby Green as was put forward by Florent. Hewitt is tough, determined, capable and brave. Green will still kick goals but I believe that George will have the discipline to break down Green’s cool facade and expose his angry nature. After that umpiring becomes critical as we just need a fair go and someone ready to pay frees if they see them.

Is Rowboottom available? If so he must play. We need his ball winning ways at stoppages especially against the Giants with their midfield strength. So who does replace? Blakey almost turned the corner for last week. I liked his endeavour and his speed but apart from a couple good results early it was disappointing and Cox was a clear winner. Maybe Campbell? He was good early but again went down to his direct opponent. However I’ve loved his initial few games and he looks too good to be left out this early because patience will be important with this golden vein of youth.

I’m open to suggestions but this my preferred side v Giants

B. Cunningham McCartin Hewitt

HB. Lloyd Reid Dawson

C. Florent Kennedy Campbell

HF. Gulden McClean Wicks

F. Hayward Franklin Papley

R. Hickey Parker Mills

I. McDonald McInerney Rowbottom Warner

Suspended by the MRP
    Hope we dont bother with Melican or Hayward. Not worth it.

In Rowbottom Stephens Brand
    Out Heeney Blakey Rampe

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I would think that Gould is much more of a flight risk than Stephens given he has not been able to break into the firsts to date.
    Particularly as Dylan S isn't from Adelaide Red Cliffs junior Dylan Stephens drafted to Sydney Swans
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    There are two obvious changes required to the team from last weekend. Rampe and Heeney need to be replaced but as we saw last year when we lose these two players at the same time a great deal of the organisation both in attack and defence is lost.
    This is a really good observation - losing these two means more than just losing their individual efforts. Hopefully some learnings from 2020 on this front.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Particularly as Dylan S isn't from Adelaide Red Cliffs junior Dylan Stephens drafted to Sydney Swans
    Yes, he is originally from Mildura but lived in Adelaide for several years in the lead up to his drafting:

"Stephens has spent the past few years boarding at Adelaide's St Peter's College, where he also played league football for Norwood in the SANFL and his adopted South Australian state sides in the AFL Under 18 championships this year."

I doubt that he will leave (certainly hope this) but there is a definite connection to Adelaide. Obviously, Mildura is less of a concern!

Yesterday's training gallery snaps feature prominent coverage of Wilbur Hayward and Rowbottom, plus multiples of Bud and Reid.
    Shots of Amartey and McLean, and a fully stretched out Naismith. These are the red herrings.
    A group photo from the back with a prominent number 43.

Ins
    Hayward (for Heeney)
    Melican (for Rampe)
    Rowbottom (for Blakey)

Pleased to see Naismith at full stride in the gallery snaps.

Just wouldn't drop Hickey on the basis on one photo. Could be good to play 2 rucks against teams that play 2.. Hickey's goal kicking has been good as a very tall in the forward line..

Drop Hickey? Is that a typo or are you kidding? He is a key player now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Drop Hickey? Is that a typo or are you kidding? He is a key player now.
    Yep. Always been a massive Naismith fan - both as a person and player. He was one of our best afield in the 2016 GF and because of injuries it's easy to forget how good he was (albeit in under 40 games). However, I think Hickey's form at the start of this year has been undeniable - he's been one of our best in all 4 games. Hard to see room for both of them in the one team, as neither are natural forwards. If you wanted a back up ruck you play Sinclair or Reid who can play well forward.

So even if fit, unfortunately for Naismith, Hickey takes the cake. But its good to know we are building that quality depth across the park.
    Last edited by longmile; 15th April 2021 at 02:34 PM.

Hickey>Naismith by a country mile.

Veterans List
    Naismith needs reserves games under his belt just to see if his body can stand up. Finally we are winning centre clearances with Tom in the guts. He is just about the best ruckman at the caper at this stage of the season.