Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 5: Swans vs GWS

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    Not sure I understand all the Melican hate. A couple of poor kicks but some quite good moments as well - overall a comfortable pass mark.
    He was by no means the only Swans player who kicked it to the opposition. The problem was our on-ballers were beaten (despite Hickey's best efforts when on the ground) and we reverted to a much stodgier game style. Those things are not Melican's fault.
    He took 7 marks and spoiled effectively plenty of times. His disposal clangers were the result of him trying to pinpoint passes in the PykedSwans style, and it looked very much like he's not up to that. He might be better off if Dawson or Lloyd was running off him for the handball, which should be easier now with all these scarecrows minding the mark. Unfortunately it just didn't seem to happen yesterday.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

I like these weekly ratings written by someone who knows our team: Player ratings: Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Round 5, 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Great idea. The grand old lady is just down the road, waiting, patiently.
    You've got your scarf piled up alongside your free tickets haven't you Barry, yearning for the day of free entry to swans games?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    At the game it just felt like we never got any rhythm or flow. Without watching the replay, I don’t know if that was because of us or because of GWS. I kept thinking we’d break the shackles at any moment and get out to a 30+ point lead but it just never happened. Ultimately, we got beaten around the ball by their bulls. Tom Green is going to be some player.

I thought Warner and Gulden were not bad and showed glimpses but below their best. Campbell and McDonald looked a step back. Wicks was almost unsighted. It’s not to be unexpected though - any players under 10 games are more likely to be in your bottom 6 than your top.

I was happy for Hayward. He cops a hiding here - even when he kicks 3 goals, people find a way to blame him. It really seemed like it was him, Buddy or bust last night. GWS must’ve done a much better job clogging gals and manning up because we just couldn’t get the marks inside 50 that we have been able to in previous games.

Overall, let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water. We are 4-1 and take on a ruck-less Gold Coast next week.
    Thank goodness its gold coast next week. Sinclair in the parts of the reserves game I watched while in the passenger seat on the drive up battled away but didn't do much at all to be honest. But he has always been a player that takes a bit of time to wind up. I can't see any option but to pick him next week, but should hopefully be able to be relatively dominant in the ruck against Gold Coast hopefully.

I thought Campbell was the best of the younger guys last night, although part of a backline well below its best overall.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by monopoly19 View Post
    Losing your ruck matters a lot when your back up ruck has to leave the field for a few minutes at the end of a game we lost by two points! Hickey being on the field could have easily been the difference.
    Baby and bathwater with that particular poster.

To be frank, we should of been comfortably beaten - their kicking for goal kept us in it. But losing Hickey, and then Reid at a critical point hurt. And then when we did find a way out a couple of times (in particular what appeared from 20 metres away to be a perfectly good contested mark by Blakey ruled as play on when that could have really been a 'circuit break), we just didn't get the rub of the green when it mattered.

One of those nights where we never really got going, but could have snuck the game. We were lucky to win last week against the Bombers, a little unlucky to lose this week. But that's footy and the vast majority of us I think felt we were likely to be fairly inconsistent this year. Could be a tough few weeks without Heeney, Rampe, Hickey. But a good test also for the younger guys - we can't expect to play every week like we did in week 1 to 3, but we've been thrown the gauntlet the last two weeks, and as a collective have to find a way to counter the tactics that teams will play against us. Only the very, very best teams ultimately are able to impose their style onto a contest and more often then not play the game on their terms. As good as our first 3 weeks were style wise, we are still a very young, developing team and building the ability to do that takes plenty of time and experience. What we have seen though in those first 3 rounds is that, if we do reach a point of consistency in that regard over time, we have a game plan that will definitely work, be good to watch (for those that prefer style over substance out there) and will deliver results. Its a big if - but we are at the start of the journey, not the end.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    He took 7 marks and spoiled effectively plenty of times. His disposal clangers were the result of him trying to pinpoint passes in the PykedSwans style, and it looked very much like he's not up to that. He might be better off if Dawson or Lloyd was running off him for the handball, which should be easier now with all these scarecrows minding the mark. Unfortunately it just didn't seem to happen yesterday.
    He is an old fashioned style defender, not necessarily suited to being a 'do it all defender'. I've always thought he can play a role, but its important we frame the role in a way he can fulfill it too. He had a couple of bad moments last night, but you could say that about almost everyone on the park last night in red and white. And he has never been a player that just comes in and 'fires' - has always taken him a few games to get going after a break (usually injury caused).
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Pretty poor to drop this one. GWS had a lot of outs.
    GWS are a better team with the outs in my opinion. Whitfield is about the only one who should walk back in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    You've got your scarf piled up alongside your free tickets haven't you Barry, yearning for the day of free entry to swans games?
    Certainly not free.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I like these weekly ratings written by someone who knows our team: Player ratings: Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Round 5, 2021.
    I don't think buddy was the best player. Sure, he got goals, but Taylor was also one of the best giants. Out-marked him a few times. Great duel.

Pushing for Selection
    Franklin just gets in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Thank goodness its gold coast next week.
    We lost 2 pf the last 3 times we've played them.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Suns always feels like a danger game to me, Swans get complacent and I always wonder how much "Dew's inside knowledge" counts.

Still, a 9-2 record overall and never lost at Carrara!

The below players all got the same rating 5 out of 10 on the Swans blog below.

Wicks
    Stephens
    Blakey
    Campbell
    McDonald

Player ratings: Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Round 5, 2021

I'm just wondering is that correct in your view ?

They all had such different stats yet same 5 out of 10 rating?

Either way or anyway we no doubt experienced alot of learnings last night........let's hang in for how we respond next 3 weeks

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by greeng View Post
    Franklin just gets in the way.
    Pretty disrespectful. Kicked 5 straight, 5 contested marks and tackled hard all night. Also: 955 goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    My comment was solely around the ruck situation Ludwig - not in terms of the broader contest..... as per the context provided by the rest of the comment, made in response to a comment directly about the ruck situation. My point was at least we are unlikely to get punished in the ruck in the same way we would if it was Melbourne or West Coast we were up against next week.

In terms of the broader contest, don't think it'll be an easy one at all, but at least its a day game and hopefully will get a clear day that should be more conducive to quicker ball movement.