Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 4: the other games. Our work here is done.

Round 4: the other games. Our work here is done.

Seems slightly odd posting a discussion of the upcoming round, when our game has already been played and won on Thursday night. Never been much of a fan of Thursday night football. Not sure why? Maybe it just seems like busy work for AFL administrators and marketers? Maybe it just seems like a way for lazy TV programmers to cover a gap in their schedule? But hey, it doesn't appear to be happening after round 5; so perhaps the 7 network have come up with a new reality show for Thursday night.

Anyway, the round starts tonight with Richmond and Port: both highly rated, both coming off heavy last round losses. Port are clear favourites. Not entirely sure why? Perhaps people think that Richmond were genuinely beaten, while Port had a 'believing their own publicity' type of loss? So, there's more scope for Port to improve, once their minds are back on the job. Perhaps a loss against West Coast is more highly regarded than a loss against Sydney? Who knows. One thing that I do know, is that the loser will drop to 2-2 and will probably be out of the eight. Wouldn't exactly call that being in trouble, but a few more early season losses and the prospect of a top four finish slowly starts to recede.

The first game on Saturday is Western Bulldogs v Brisbane. Ladder wise, we all should be going for Brisbane in this one. A win by the Bulldogs and they should go above us on percentage. A loss and we could end the round in top position. Brisbane to win by 20 goals to 16. Not sure why? Perhaps the digits 2016 are in my head for some reason?

Next up is St Kilda v West Coast. Every chance here, that St Kilda's promising season, will travel further down the S-bend.

The two night games are Gold Coast v Carlton and Collingwood v GWS. Gold Coast's ten year injury curse is still continuing. Now that Witts has joined Smith and a couple of youngsters on the sideline, they no longer have a fit ruckman. Plus they're missing young guns, like Rowell and Budarick. Although they still have a reasonable chance of beating Carlton. Collingwood are short priced favourites to beat GWS and leave them at 0 and 4. Which sets up the proposition that many of us would enjoy: a chance to beat them in the next round and kill off their season before it really starts. Sure, in 2017, we made the finals from 0-6, but I doubt if many people think that GWS could do something similar.

Speaking of going winless, North play Adelaide on Sunday.

The next Sunday game is Melbourne v Geelong. My favoured result here is a narrow Melbourne victory. With that, they'll probably stay behind us on the ladder and there's a chance for all of us to witness another Chris Scott tantrum. Which I quite enjoy. I just wish journalists would ramp up my enjoyment, by asking him press conference questions like, "That was a convincing loss today: was the game plan crap?" and "Paddy Dangerfield, he gets a lot of soft frees, doesn't he?"

As is often the case, the final match of the round is in Perth. After the round started with a Swans win, I think it would be bookended nicely with Hawthorn losing to Fremantle.

Veteran Site Admin
    Great write-up to whet the appetite for the weekend's football ahead. Although I feel a bit flat on one hand, with no tummy-rumbling anticipation of an imminent Swans game, it is good to be able to approach the rest of the round in a relaxed frame of mind. (Mostly because we won. I find it very hard to watch more football in a round when we've lost.)

As a slight diversion, I discovered last night what Paddy's been up to during his three week sabbatical. Towards the end of my trudge up to the QVB last night after the game, I walked past a club of some description on Park Street, close to the corner with George St. Pasted above the bottom of the short stair case down to the entrance was the name of the headline (or maybe the only) act: DANGERFIELD. I'll check back next week (after the Derby-concluded trudge) to see who've they got to replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Great write-up to whet the appetite for the weekend's football ahead. Although I feel a bit flat on one hand, with no tummy-rumbling anticipation of an imminent Swans game, it is good to be able to approach the rest of the round in a relaxed frame of mind. (Mostly because we won. I find it very hard to watch more football in a round when we've lost.)

As a slight diversion, I discovered last night what Paddy's been up to during his three week sabbatical. Towards the end of my trudge up to the QVB last night after the game, I walked past a club of some description on Park Street, close to the corner with George St. Pasted above the bottom of the short stair case down to the entrance was the name of the headline (or maybe the only) act: DANGERFIELD. I'll check back next week (after the Derby-concluded trudge) to see who've they got to replace him.
    I'd be a touch concerned, if you found out they exhibited suspended AFL players. In a little cage on stage. Repenting their onfield transgressions.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Just love and savour all Swans wins, wherever and whenever they are. But Thursday night wins are especially nice! You get to relax and enjoy all of the other games knowing that - as this thread title suggests - we've already got the job done!

Would like to see Port, Brisbane, West Coast, Gold Coast, GWS, Adelaide, Melbourne and Freo get over the line but don't really care who wins and loses. We've already won and are undefeated!

Senior Player
    Love the thread title, deja.

Tonight's game is living to its billing. Love seeing the crowd back.

AA having a great game APART from dropping simple marks the last of which gifted a goal to the Tigers.

Cmon anyone but the Tigers

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    The first game on Saturday is Western Bulldogs v Brisbane. Ladder wise, we all should be going for Brisbane in this one. A win by the Bulldogs and they should go above us on percentage. A loss and we could end the round in top position. Brisbane to win by 20 goals to 16. Not sure why? Perhaps the digits 2016 are in my head for some reason?
    The game is in Ballarat. Cold, wet weather is forecast for Victoria, and Ballarat has a forecast top temperature of 14 degrees. With that weather, a 36-goal game won't be happening. A low-scoring slog is more likely.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Looks like the Lions are ruining are chances of going top. Relentlessly missing targets. Although they were a bit unlucky at the end of the half. Charlie Cameron was just about to gather the ball in the goalsquare, when the siren sounded. On the other hand, Daniher was a bit lucky to get a disposal just before half time. Otherwise, he would have went to the break, with less fantasy points than the unused medical subs.
    Dogs are looking like a genuine finals side.

I have nothing against Joe Daniher but not sure he makes Brisbane a better side. Conditions in Ballarat clearly not suited - but still he is in bottom two players on ground and I suspect his presence draws the ball making team predictable. Will be interesting to see how Brisbane go over the rest of the year and whether his recruitment is a plus or minus.

Quote Originally Posted by SCGonasunnyday View Post
    I have nothing against Joe Daniher but not sure he makes Brisbane a better side. Conditions in Ballarat clearly not suited - but still he is in bottom two players on ground and I suspect his presence draws the ball making team predictable. Will be interesting to see how Brisbane go over the rest of the year and whether his recruitment is a plus or minus.
    Dwayne Russell just described the Daniher and Cameron partnership as, "working as well together as socks and sandals". A touch cruel, but probably fair.

Ha. The drop in form of Charlie Cameron is disappointing for neutral fans.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Seems slightly odd posting a discussion of the upcoming round, when our game has already been played and won on Thursday night. Never been much of a fan of Thursday night football. Not sure why? Maybe it just seems like busy work for AFL administrators and marketers? Maybe it just seems like a way for lazy TV programmers to cover a gap in their schedule? But hey, it doesn't appear to be happening after round 5; so perhaps the 7 network have come up with a new reality show for Thursday night.

Anyway, the round starts tonight with Richmond and Port: both highly rated, both coming off heavy last round losses. Port are clear favourites. Not entirely sure why? Perhaps people think that Richmond were genuinely beaten, while Port had a 'believing their own publicity' type of loss? So, there's more scope for Port to improve, once their minds are back on the job. Perhaps a loss against West Coast is more highly regarded than a loss against Sydney? Who knows. One thing that I do know, is that the loser will drop to 2-2 and will probably be out of the eight. Wouldn't exactly call that being in trouble, but a few more early season losses and the prospect of a top four finish slowly starts to recede.

Next up is St Kilda v West Coast. Every chance here, that St Kilda's promising season, will travel further down the S-bend.

The two night games are Gold Coast v Carlton and Collingwood v GWS. Gold Coast's ten year injury curse is still continuing. Now that Witts has joined Smith and a couple of youngsters on the sideline, they no longer have a fit ruckman. Plus they're missing young guns, like Rowell and Budarick. Although they still have a reasonable chance of beating Carlton. Collingwood are short priced favourites to beat GWS and leave them at 0 and 4. Which sets up the proposition that many of us would enjoy: a chance to beat them in the next round and kill off their season before it really starts. Sure, in 2017, we made the finals from 0-6, but I doubt if many people think that GWS could do something similar.

Speaking of going winless, North play Adelaide on Sunday.

The next Sunday game is Melbourne v Geelong. My favoured result here is a narrow Melbourne victory. With that, they'll probably stay behind us on the ladder and there's a chance for all of us to witness another Chris Scott tantrum. Which I quite enjoy. I just wish journalists would ramp up my enjoyment, by asking him press conference questions like, "That was a convincing loss today: was the game plan crap?" and "Paddy Dangerfield, he gets a lot of soft frees, doesn't he?"

As is often the case, the final match of the round is in Perth. After the round started with a Swans win, I think it would be bookended nicely with Hawthorn losing to Fremantle.
    If I was in the press I would ask Chris Scott has he taught Joel Selwood how to milk a free kick. I find Selwood a very annoying player for our boys to play against.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast