Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Money Kick (AFL360) and other indicators of winning

Regular in the Side
    [QUOTE=Markwebbos;814713]Golden Gulden is an extraordinary kick going inside 50.

Is he favourite in the Rising Star yet?

/QUOTE]

Opened at $26 into about $3.50 Fav.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Just saw this on 360 and like you Liz I also guessed who #1 would be. As I've said on here elsewhere, I've never been so happy to see the ball in the hands of a first year player! Surely a matter of time before opposition teams starting tagging him?
    That's why the loss of Heeney to an undisciplined act upsets our forward line. How can a team cover Heeney, Gulden, Wicks and Papley. The opposition tries to cover Gulden as our best small forward with their best small backman then up bobs Paps. Heeney takes their best medium back, so now it is easier to cover our forwards. Lets hope GWS gets fixated with Buddy and tries to double or triple team him. Heeney is a huge loss to our team balance.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Gulden is just about the most likable Swan, along with Heeney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, but Thomas Derickx will always have that spesh place in Red and White folklore and hearts alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    That's why the loss of Heeney to an undisciplined act upsets our forward line. How can a team cover Heeney, Gulden, Wicks and Papley. The opposition tries to cover Gulden as our best small forward with their best small backman then up bobs Paps. Heeney takes their best medium back, so now it is easier to cover our forwards. Lets hope GWS gets fixated with Buddy and tries to double or triple team him. Heeney is a huge loss to our team balance.
    That's almost identical to saying: How can a team cover Hayward, Gulden, Wicks and Papley?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    That's almost identical to saying: How can a team cover Hayward, Gulden, Wicks and Papley?
    Hayward better show something while Heeney is out. If selected.

No doubt Heeney is a significant loss, no doubt about it. But Buddy will increasingly take more of the focus as he finds form, and we have midfielders that can do a good job up there (Parker in particular), and maybe Hayward if given the chance will grab it. It will be harder for us for sure, but I'm confident we can make it work. Going to be a good test for us on Saturday however with Rampe out too!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Among a lot of things, he's an excellent kick - though that is a cracker of a stat; but the thing that most strikes me about him as a footballer is his high footy IQ.

Some players just have it. Errol clearly does. Other teams will put more work into him, but he's got the smarts to eventually work it out. I hate to invoke the name here, but very Sam Mitchell like.
    Yep, on 21 March, on the Rd 1 game thread:

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    - Gulden. As John would say: just a massive competitor. Believes in himself, super smart, great skills. The type of energy we've needed. I said last night that he's a future Norm Smith medallist - he's a winner. Reminds me of Sam Mitchell.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    The player we will include to over Heeney won't be quite as good, sure, but it's not going to be the disaster that you're implying it to be. The forward line will still be capable of leading the opposition on a game of cross-country whack-a-mole.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

It's hard to feel sorry for ourselves with injuries when the Giants are missing 7 regulars from their best 22, including Coniglio, Whitfield, Perryman and Phil Davis, who usually plays on Buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's hard to feel sorry for ourselves with injuries when the Giants are missing 7 regulars from their best 22, including Coniglio, Whitfield, Perryman and Phil Davis, who usually plays on Buddy.
    Whose side are you on?

Gulden is not only a great money kick player but one who puts his body on the line in defensive actions as well as gets to the bottom of a pile to get his hands on the footy. He was the one who did a number of acts like that against Essendon. I don’t remember Sam Mitchell doing that very often. So just from that perspective he is probably in a league of his own - elite kick and great courage and determination.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    By far the most interesting segment on AFL360 this season (and probably on Fox Footy, the actual matches aside) is a short period on Wednesdays, where David King and Leigh Montagna discuss some of the trends they are seeing in the game.

Now we just need him to recalibrate his next most important kick that's gone a bit wonky in the past fortnight.
    I have wondered whether the fact that his goal shooting was off was a reflection that the opposition (especially the Dons) are on to him a bit more and hence he was being forced to shoot when his preference would have been to lay off. But certainly he's missed a few that his career to date suggests he would normally ice. More upside!

And as to King and Montagna, they are certainly two of the best analysts of the games - it's somewhat surprising to me that the old Saints legends - Riewoldt, Del Santo & Montagna - are among 3 of the very best going around in the AFL TV media game at the moment. Riewoldt in particular is a stand out and has quickly become the star of OTC.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast