Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 5: the other games. Form, it's a mysterious thing.

Round 5: the other games. Form, it's a mysterious thing.

To me, we're entering round 5 and just who the genuine contenders are, is not much clearer than at the start of the season. Some teams that were touted as almost certain finalists, are either mediocre, or may be just slowly arousing after a short offseason. There's only been a few consistent things: the unbeaten teams are probably a bit better than people thought they were; Gold Coast still have an incredible ability to attract injuries, and North have been relentlessly terrible.

Tonight's game is a case in point. Who are the real St Kilda? Are they closer to the team that was thrashed by Essendon and were being soundly beaten by West Coast? Or will they be more like the team, that achieved an incredible comeback against West Coast? Similar for Richmond. Is the crown starting to slip, or are they just having the slow start, that's often typical of teams that go deep into the finals?

Friday night's game is West Coast hosting Collingwood. Collingwood have snuck in a couple of upset wins against West Coast in recent seasons, but the Eagles are strongly favoured to win this one and increase the pressure on Nathan Buckley. Who I almost feel sorry for. Make the long flight over to Perth, and then make a flight back that seems even longer, as he contemplates what crap the Melbourne media will throw at him on arrival.

The first game on Saturday, is the AFLW grand final between Adelaide and Brisbane. Both teams seem worthy contenders, as they've both had solid form throughout the season, and both have seemed to be gathering momentum, as the Grand Final approached. And both have played in two previous grand finals. Although obviously, Adelaide's two wins are better than Brisbane's two losses. Which I guess is why I'll be barracking for the Lions. I really hope that it's not because I'm slowly becoming a Queenslander. But to win, Brisbane have to overcome the sizeable obstacle of Erin Phillips, who already has two grand final BOGs. Though I have a feeling that Brisbane's dangerous forward trio of Davidson, Wardlaw and Hodder, will have big enough games to get them home.

After this, there's two twilight games; at the SCG, we're clear favourites to put the Giants into more early season difficulty, and at Marvel, the Bulldogs are heavy favourites to beat the injury ridden Suns. Personally, I find Gold Coast's continued injury troubles bizarre. Since their inception, they seem to have been endlessly crippled by injuries. And I doubt if that's been due to mismanagement. I mean, I think all clubs would hire highly competent physio and medical staff, who have all effectively absorbed the medical knowledge, that's been taught at Australian universities and which, probably doesn't vary much from university to university. And while Gold Coast might have less soft cap cash to spend on facilities, I doubt that would translate into ten year's worth of devastation? And the Metricon surface usually appears to be in good condition, so that is unlikely to be the culprit. So, maybe it's just year's of relentless bad luck?

In the night games, the odds of the Port v Carlton are closer than I expected, while the loser of the Brisbane v Essendon will slip to 1/4 and will be a worry to their fans.

The first game on Sunday is Adelaide v Fremantle. Fremantle are already establishing a pattern of being good in Perth and not so good away from Perth. Unfortunately for them, this game's in Adelaide.

The next game is Hawthorn v Melbourne. Ladder wise, we should be going for Hawthorn. But I suspect that I won't be the only one, who can't bring themselves to do that.

The final game of the round is Geelong v North. Despite some unconvincing form, Geelong are very short odds to send North to 0/5. While there has been plenty of upsets and mystifying form swings this season, I really can't see an upset here. What I can see, is about 80% of North's more diehard fans, using social media to vitriolically pay out on North's management. The other 20% will be going over NAB League scores and draft predictions, in order to work who they should get with their number one draft pick. Unfortunately for them, the way the club's management have been going, they'll probably trade it away, as part of a cunning plan to get Ben Brown back to the club.

Veterans List
    How does Luke Darcy get a job as a commentator? Surely channel 7 can find someone better. Same with Jobe Watson. I wonder if he'll make up another word tonight?

And Joel Selwood?. WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    And Joel Selwood?. WTF.
    Wowee. He's a shocker ... hope it's not all the head knocks cause he can barely string a sentence together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    How does Luke Darcy get a job as a commentator? Surely channel 7 can find someone better. Same with Jobe Watson. I wonder if he'll make up another word tonight?
    Interpretate! WTF and then he doubled down with Interpretating! He's supposed to be one of the more intelligent amongst the world of ex footballers, turning their hand to commentating.

I can't deal with such dumbness!!

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Wowee. He's a shocker ... hope it's not all the head knocks cause he can barely string a sentence together.
    Maybe it's some kind of new AFL deal? If you have to miss a week because of the concussion rule, you get to be a Channel 7 commentator.

Regular in the Side
    Tigers 11 goals up on the Saints in Q4. Anybody going to back the Saints on producing a comeback like last week. Not me.
    Last edited by rb4x; 15th April 2021 at 10:59 PM.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Tigers 11 goals upon the Saints in Q4. Anybody going to back the Saints on producing a comeback like last week. Not me.
    Nope! Back to earth with a very big thud for the Saints! They haven't shown much fight, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Nope! Back to earth with a very big thud for the Saints! They haven't shown much fight, either.
    Saints will be cellar dwellers in a few years when all there veterans and mercenaries retire

Veteran Site Admin
    That was a snorefest. And sadly an indication that the Tigers haven't suddenly become crap.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Saints will be cellar dwellers in a few years when all there veterans and mercenaries retire
    I was struck watching tonight's game how many of St Kilda's team - their core players - are imports from other clubs. Steele, Crouch, Hill, Higgins, Butler, Membrey, Carlisle, Howard who all played tonight, plus Jones, Hannebery, and Ryder who would all be automatic selections if fit, and McKernan, Frawley and Wood who aren't in their best team but are likely amongst the best of their depth.

Doesn't say much for their drafting nous over the last decade or so. I am struggling to think of many players who were drafted by St Kilda and are now at other clubs, doing well. Acres is one - solid rather than spectacular. Lynch at Adelaide has been an excellent player but its a long, long time since he was drafted by (and left) the Saints. Jamie Cripps at West Coast, also a long time departee. I am sure there are some others but they aren't springing to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    That was a snorefest. And sadly an indication that the Tigers haven't suddenly become crap.

I was struck watching tonight's game how many of St Kilda's team - their core players - are imports from other clubs. Steele, Crouch, Hill, Higgins, Butler, Membrey, Carlisle, Howard who all played tonight, plus Jones, Hannebery, and Ryder who would all be automatic selections if fit, and McKernan, Frawley and Wood who aren't in their best team but are likely amongst the best of their depth.

Doesn't say much for their drafting nous over the last decade or so. I am struggling to think of many players who were drafted by St Kilda and are now at other clubs, doing well. Acres is one - solid rather than spectacular. Lynch at Adelaide has been an excellent player but its a long, long time since he was drafted by (and left) the Saints. Jamie Cripps at West Coast, also a long time departee. I am sure there are some others but they aren't springing to mind.
    Only listened to a brief bit of the game, but it's probably a good indication that St Kilda's position in the eight is up for grabs.

And with the aid of an AFL Record, Nick Hind was really good for Essendon the other night, but for others, you have to go back further than Cripps, namely Stanley and McEvoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Interpretate! WTF and then he doubled down with Interpretating! He's supposed to be one of the more intelligent amongst the world of ex footballers, turning their hand to commentating.

I can't deal with such dumbness!!
    #interpret-gate ?

Interpretate definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast