Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: There will be a Sydney Swans AFLW team in the 2022-23 season

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I find it upsetting how medical evidence of the dangers of women playing football have been ignored. Women are physiologically much more vulnerable to getting concussion than men are, and the damage caused by concussion in women is also worse. There are other health risks which are greater for women playing contact sports. Women should be discouraged from playing sports with a high incidence of concussion.

For those who an interested in this subject, I suggest listening to this podcast from Nature Magazine

Audio long-read: why sports concussions are worse for women
    Thanks for sharing this informative article, Ludwig.

I don't agree that "Women should be discouraged from playing sports with a high incidence of concussion." To me that feels paternalistic. I think the key is to provide the best available information and let everyone make informed choices. Life is full of risk and it is important to think about the costs and risks and also the benefits. However, I do agree that there should be more research, education, and more concerted efforts given to managing the incidence and treatment of these injuries.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Thanks for sharing this informative article, Ludwig.

I don't agree that "Women should be discouraged from playing sports with a high incidence of concussion." To me that feels paternalistic. I think the key is to provide the best available information and let everyone make informed choices. Life is full of risk and it is important to think about the costs and risks and also the benefits. However, I do agree that there should be more research, education, and more concerted efforts given to managing the incidence and treatment of these injuries.
    It's easy to be tricked into labeling any denial of equality to women as sexist or paternalistic, but we have to recognize that there are real physiological differences between men and women that can end in a lack of consideration of women's health and safety. So what may seem as equality is really discriminatory. This is such a case. The science has shown that women are more vulnerable to any number of injuries when high impact sports.

IMO, women's professional football is a commercial exploitation of women in disregard of their safety. Why don't we just follow the science? That's what we tell the anti-vaxxers when it comes to Covid.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I don't agree and I've made my POV clear above - but don't you think the real physiological differences should be a factor to be considered by the woman in question?
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 30th August 2021 at 02:56 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I don't agree and I've made my POV clear above - but don't you think the real physiological differences should be a factor to be considered by the woman in question?
    Yes, of course. I'm all for freedom to choose. But I don't feel that enough has been done by the sporting authorities to make women aware of the risks associated by playing football. If they know they have twice the risk of getting concussion than men do and the effects of brain trauma are even worse, and they still want to play, then go for it.

ACLs a definite higher incidence (and that’s without playing AFL into the equation). The concern I have for concussion and ACLs is that male players have been involved with litigation relating to previous concussion. If there is a population that innately has an increased risk, does this pose a litigious risk in future? Not a reason not to play, but just a point of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    ACLs a definite higher incidence (and that’s without playing AFL into the equation). The concern I have for concussion and ACLs is that male players have been involved with litigation relating to previous concussion. If there is a population that innately has an increased risk, does this pose a litigious risk in future? Not a reason not to play, but just a point of interest.
    You can hear the claimants' lawyers arguing that the AFL knew there was an inherent higher risk of injury, but did nothing about it. I like the payout chances of the brain damaged women. Solid case.

Yes, of course. I'm all for freedom to choose. But I don't feel that enough has been done by the sporting authorities to make women aware of the risks associated by playing football. If they know they have twice the risk of getting concussion than men do and the effects of brain trauma are even worse, and they still want to play, then go for it.
    We are in agreement in this issue - if a situation is made clear (to me that's always THE issue), then on their head be it.

You can hear the claimants' lawyers arguing that the AFL knew there was an inherent higher risk of injury, but did nothing about it. I like the payout chances of the brain damaged women. Solid case.
    I've always regarded Dicks comment in Henry VI, Part 2, Act IV, Scene 2 as lacking in ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post

I've always regarded Dicks comment in Henry VI, Part 2, Act IV, Scene 2 as lacking in ambition.
    About killing the lawyers?

About killing the lawyers?
    It would make an interesting court case.

We've advertised for a Senior Coach and Head of Footy for our AFLW teams: Sydney commences search for AFLW Senior Coach and Head of AFLW (sydneyswans.com.au).

Good to see they're preferring a Head of Footy that comes from a women's sport (rather than necessarily AFL) background. I would hope (even more so than with the Senior Coach position) that the person appointed is a woman. Ultimately it would be great to see a woman appointed as Senior Coach too but I suspect there will be many, better qualified male candidates for that role.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

I hope the Swans manage to find a female head coach, the way the senior AFLW coaching ranks turned into a boys club looked terrible.
    Not arguing qualifications, just the optics.
    That and the fact Bec Goddard could win a flag then sit on the scrap heap for three seasons, until appointed Hawthorn - looks more than optics though.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast