Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: There will be a Sydney Swans AFLW team in the 2022-23 season

The interview with Sam Mostyn on the Swans new AFLW podcast is worth a listen. We’re really lucky to have her as part of this club. Our AFLW podcast is here

Quote Originally Posted by monopoly19 View Post
    The interview with Sam Mostyn on the Swans new AFLW podcast is worth a listen. We’re really lucky to have her as part of this club. Our AFLW podcast is here
    Thanks for the heads up. Not the most dazzling listen but gave me an appreciation of her role in making the AFLW happen. We're lucky to have her in our camp.

Sam Mostyn recommends reading Play On: The Hidden History of Women's Australian Rules Football: Play on! The Hidden History of Women's Australian Rules Football by Brunette Lenkić (goodreads.com).

- - - Updated - - -

Also, there's gonna be a match sim against the Giants AFLW team at Tramway Oval 6 pm this Friday: AFLW Match Simulation begins (sydneyswans.com.au).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Just read that Bella Smith has done her ACL! But turns out that the Brisbane Lions have their own Bella Smith and it's her that has sustained the injury not our own Bella Smith. Hope Bella#2 has a good recovery. And that Bella#1 has a ripper of a season!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Here's a good interview with Scott Gowans: LISTEN: How the Swans pulled off a draft coup (womens.afl).

Senior Player
    First full practice match vs Collingwood on Saturday at Blacktown. Game will be livestreamed on Sydney Swans website.

Doing well. Level at qtr time.

Girls going great. 9 pts up at half time.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Girls going great. 9 pts up at half time.
    Our ruck is in impressive number 7 and the energy and team spirit seem very switched on.

There's no commentary so it's hard to pick the players but there was a really impressive handball passage leading up to our set @@@@ from in front in the second last goal of the quarter

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    Our ruck is in impressive number 7 and the energy and team spirit seem very switched on.

There's no commentary so it's hard to pick the players but there was a really impressive handball passage leading up to our set @@@@ from in front in the second last goal of the quarter
    Alley Morphett, 188cm and recruited from GWS.

Yeah I noticed her just shoving their ruck over easily.

We kept kicking it to the other team for a while and they were also marking a lot of their own kicks for a while but great to see us get the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post

We kept kicking it to the other team for a while and they were also marking a lot of their own kicks for a while but great to see us get the lead.
    She was a standout...very impressive and I'm glad I know the name now rather than just a number. Thank you.
    I thought our ground level contests were good but their kicking skills and contested marks got then the game. We found it hard to take a contested mark lowing the ball to quickly go back the other way.
    It was good to see and it's just the first game. How many of our high profile draftees were out there?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post

She was a standout...very impressive and I'm glad I know the name now rather than just a number. Thank you.
    I thought our ground level contests were good but their kicking skills and contested marks got them the game. We found it hard to take a contested mark allowing the ball to quickly go back the other way.
    It was good to see them for the first time for me. How many of our high profile draftees were out there?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    I thought our ground level contests were good but their kicking skills and contested marks got them the game. We found it hard to take a contested mark allowing the ball to quickly go back the other way.
    It was good to see them for the first time for me. How many of our high profile draftees were out there?
    At 188cm, she isn't that tall, but when so many players are around the 165cm mark, she looked like a giant on the field. Hope she continues to monster her opponents!

Senior Player
    "No.1 selection in the 2022 NAB AFL Women's Draft, Montana Ham (Sydney Swans), was overwhelmingly selected by seven captains to claim the NAB AFLW Rising Star award in her debut season."

The tips are in: Captains pick best team, B&F, Rising Star, more

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast