Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: There will be a Sydney Swans AFLW team in the 2022-23 season

Veterans List
    A group of us are taking bets on when we will pick up our first Mother/Daughter pick in a draft.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    A group of us are taking bets on when we will pick up our first Mother/Daughter pick in a draft.
    Almost certainly after we pick up a Father/Daughter.

Micky O's daughter, at least one of Kirk's twin daughters and Nicky D's daughter (step daughter??) have all been in the academy and are probably closing in on draft age.

Sarah Black from the AFL site, thinks that it's fairly clear cut, who we'll be taking in the upcoming draft.

Sarah Black's 2022 Phantom Draft: Who goes where, your club's whispers

The draft's on tonight. We should pick up some gems and hopefully our list will be competitive from the outset. It's weird to be gifted the first pick of the draft. Looks like we'll pick Ham as she's nominated she'll come to NSW.

Veterans List
    The Phantom Draft read like the selections for us were fairly clear cut.

A couple are over-agers but we couldn't pre list them so have to burn draft picks on them?

I haven't bothered to watch much AFLW in the past but will be watching the Swans this season. I'm all for the option of tacking on an AFLW membership to your AFL membership rather than them being seperate. I want to support anything Swans :-)

Montana x 2 + Sofia, Cynthia & Alice.

Or H x 3 + B & M.

Sydney Swans 2022 AFLW draftees

Pick 1 - Montana Ham
    DOB: 29-03-2004
    Height: 179cm
    Club/State: Victoria - Western Jets
    Position: Midfield

Pick 5 - Sofia Hurley
    Club/State: Victoria - Sandringham Dragons
    Height: 166cm
    DOB: 30-01-2004
    Position: Midfield

Pick 11 - Cynthia Hamilton
    DOB: 02/04/2004
    Height: 170cm
    State/Club: NSW - Queanbeyan Tigers
    Position: Midfield/ Forward

Pick 12 - Montana Beruldsen
    Height: 169cm
    DOB: 25/2/1999
    State/ Club: South Australia/ Hawthorn VFLW

Pick 13 - Alice Mitchell
    Height: 180cm
    DOB: 8/8/2001
    State/Club: NSW - Gunnedah & District Bulldogs
    Position: Defender

I was initially a bit disappointed that we might have burned first round picks drafting Beruldsen and Mitchell due to our stuffing up the paperwork but I think we weren't going to draft anyone else anyway (although, strangely, I note we're foreshadowing already that we're going to put Mitchell on the long term injury list and pick up someone else in her spot).

Obviously we've done really well to persuade Ham and Hurley to come to us from Victoria. I wonder how hard that was and what we offered. Anyway, it means that our tokenistic pick one turned into something meaningful.

I've found only one equivalent of the phantom form guides that are published for the AFLM drafts (as opposed to phantom drafts, of which there were a few) - on Mongrel Punt. According to their ratings we got the equivalents of picks 3 (Ham), 8 (Hurley) and 18 (Hamilton) in an open draft. It's only one person's ratings, but that's pretty good going and looks like we're building a team to last a bit more than for the right now. I think we can afford not to succeed immediately because (a) we are just starting out; and (b) there is such a huge groundswell of support for the team already.

Anyway, I'm super excited. Can't wait for the season to come!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Glad we got Hams. She’s the best female footballer I’ve ever seen by a country mile. You guys will enjoy watching her ply her trade.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Glad we got Hams. She’s the best female footballer I’ve ever seen by a country mile. You guys will enjoy watching her ply her trade.
    How many have you seen? Have you ever had the chance to watch, say, Erin Phillips?

A small thing that made me happy: I was slightly worrying that Cynthia Hamilton might have divided allegiances, being a graduate of the Giants Academy... but then I watched her interview of the Swans website and she said she has supported the Swans all her life and all her family are diehard Swans supporters - then I stopped worrying.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Hey BS I have watched every single game of AFLW since it began. Admittedly I may have dozed off during a few. I also coached Vic Country U/16 girls basketball the year Erin played for SA. FYI they beat us in the GF by 4 and Erin was sensational. I have also watched the AFLW u/ 16 @18 champs for the last 3 years. My interest is that quite a few of the girls I coached had a love for footy too and a few have made it to AFLW level. Montana stands head and shoulders above anything I’ve seen in that time. She has great skills, size, and most importantly a footy brain. She can play anywhere as she demonstrated at this years Nats. Reminds me of Bontempelli. Barring injury she’ll be a ripper.

Hey BS I have watched every single game of AFLW since it began. Admittedly I may have dozed off during a few. I also coached Vic Country U/16 girls basketball the year Erin played for SA. FYI they beat us in the GF by 4 and Erin was sensational. I have also watched the AFLW u/ 16 @18 champs for the last 3 years. My interest is that quite a few of the girls I coached had a love for footy too and a few have made it to AFLW level. Montana stands head and shoulders above anything I’ve seen in that time. She has great skills, size, and most importantly a footy brain. She can play anywhere as she demonstrated at this years Nats. Reminds me of Bontempelli. Barring injury she’ll be a ripper.
    What an exciting endorsement! Can't wait to watch her play for us. Go Swans.

Well, first, watching every AFLW match is an incredible effort! Well done! I certainly haven't.

Second, my comment was probably a bit dismissive - which I regret in view of your impressive reply - but I that's also because you were a bit loose and over-egged your comment.

Lastly, and most importantly, it is super exciting to hear your raps on Mon Ham! I think you've gone the early crow but I hope you're right!!

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast