Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes Round 6 V Gold Coast Suns

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We are still getting games into kids, so I would avoid getting sinkers back. He's yesterday's man..so McLean or Armartey for me.
    I won't be surprised if we see both in, based on Longmire's press conference after the game. He seemed resigned to the fact that McDonald might need a break, and he was also quick to name both Amartey and McLean when the journo mentioned Sinclair's name. They can each split the forward and ruck roles between them, with a little support from Reid, if need be. Longmire also observed that, while Reid did a pretty good job filling in for Hickey, it meant we didn't have him as a forward target.

Hoping i will be able to make the trip up for this one!! My sister and her kids live in Brisbane. Maybe a detour via the gold coast? 😉

Im thinking we might rest a few kids for this one. Aside from North Melbourne i doubt we will get a more winnable game than this one and injuries seem to be coming hard!! A few kids looked off against GWS. Campbell , Chad, Jmac .. maybe even McDonald ? Or Wicks. Tbh I am just relieved we dont have to be discussing which of the two inclusions from last week we will have to drop - both Will and Lewis were excellent !!

Could Buddy be rested ? Jpk maybe ? Long season, these two will be key to our fortunes in the business end of the season and neither are young!! Hope Reid's head is OK. We have the depth we can afford to manage some players - we have a bounty of good talent waiting in the wings - Dylan, Sincs, Mclean, Brand, Bell, O'Riordan. Speaking of Irish - how about that Barry O'Connor!!!!!

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Yes some of our younger players need a break.

This is a good week to rest them up, away game, and blood some more players.

Out: Logan, Hickey, Melican

In: Mclean, Stephens (full game), Amartey and/or BOC.

Was in the third quarter when Melican was streaming out of defense, tried to pass to another swan, missed by twenty meters and kicked it out of bounds?

That is just not AFL STANDARD!
    doof-doof

Your only resting one kid, CW.

Senior Player
    Melican was rusty. It's kind of common when players have been out of the team for awhile. From the comments on here recently you'd
    think he and Hayward were the worst players to ever have pulled on a Swans guernsey. Seriously these guys are good players. I know
    this because they are on our list and get paid pretty good money to play footy. Almost all players have dips in form, it's a tough game
    to play week in, week out. And we as punters never know the full extent of any niggling injuries they may be carrying because we don't
    work at the club. It really is that simple.

Veterans List
    Gold Coast don't have a ruck issue they literally have NO rucks, think they are rucking a couple of guys around the 192/193 height. That means McLean and Amartey should be all the ruck power we need. Reid is needed as the second KPF, obviously rest McDonald, maybe even week off so no ressies either.

We need to match Gold Coast at ground level so that's where the thinking will go this week, Rowbottom in seems a no brainer and if the match committee were as disappointed in Melican as most posters seem to be, Brand a tall very good lock down defender might be preferred.

As an aside, I'm excited by the prospects of Barry O'Connor, we may roll the dice later in the season if he continues to develop

Warming the Bench
    Just saw Buddy walking in to the SCG. Compression bandage on the right knee and walking a little gingerly.

Would not surprise me if he only played home games for the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I won't be surprised if we see both in, based on Longmire's press conference after the game. He seemed resigned to the fact that McDonald might need a break, and he was also quick to name both Amartey and McLean when the journo mentioned Sinclair's name. They can each split the forward and ruck roles between them, with a little support from Reid, if need be. Longmire also observed that, while Reid did a pretty good job filling in for Hickey, it meant we didn't have him as a forward target.
    I hope you're right about McLean and Amartey. If there is ever a week to do it, it's this week. We need to keep an eye on the future and the development of these 2 forward/rucks could be an an important part of it.

Our midfield looks well set for years to come and we need to focus on KPPs this year and next, whether through player acquisition and the draft.

I don't know what to make of the wide variation in opinions on Melican. Some rated him among the best on ground, while others think he should never play again. I saw some good things as well as some bad. We probably critically examine players who are under the gun, while the mistakes of others get passed over without comment. I know that I was focusing attention on Hayward and Melican because of the criticism received on here.

I also wouldn't be yanking Wicks from the senior team anytime soon. We seemed to bypass him and kicked the ball long to a Buddy contest. It produced 5 Franklin goals, but I don't think it suits the best way for us to play the game. We need to use all our players and distribute the ball to whoever is in the best position, rather than get fixated on one player.

So, I would be looking to replace Hickey and McDonald with McLean and Amartey. I would also like to see Stephens and Rowbottom back in the side, but that's going to involve resting some players. Perhaps Campbell can go back to the reserves to play in a midfield or half forward role I'm also not too happy about Hewett in defence. He seems to be out of rhythm with the rest of the team. Yet it's hard to see how he slots into the current midfield.

Some VFL game reports had O'Riordan and Taylor among the best players, both racking up over 30 possessions. Unless these numbers are not a reflection of how they played, they should come into the picture for selection if they can maintain a good level of performance in the ressies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I hope you're right about McLean and Amartey. If there is ever a week to do it, it's this week. We need to keep an eye on the future and the development of these 2 forward/rucks could be an an important part of it.

Our midfield looks well set for years to come and we need to focus on KPPs this year and next, whether through player acquisition and the draft.

I don't know what to make of the wide variation in opinions on Melican. Some rated him among the best on ground, while others think he should never play again. I saw some good things as well as some bad. We probably critically examine players who are under the gun, while the mistakes of others get passed over without comment. I know that I was focusing attention on Hayward and Melican because of the criticism received on here.

I also wouldn't be yanking Wicks from the senior team anytime soon. We seemed to bypass him and kicked the ball long to a Buddy contest. It produced 5 Franklin goals, but I don't think it suits the best way for us to play the game. We need to use all our players and distribute the ball to whoever is in the best position, rather than get fixated on one player.

So, I would be looking to replace Hickey and McDonald with McLean and Amartey. I would also like to see Stephens and Rowbottom back in the side, but that's going to involve resting some players. Perhaps Campbell can go back to the reserves to play in a midfield or half forward role I'm also not too happy about Hewett in defence. He seems to be out of rhythm with the rest of the team. Yet it's hard to see how he slots into the current midfield.

Some VFL game reports had O'Riordan and Taylor among the best players, both racking up over 30 possessions. Unless these numbers are not a reflection of how they played, they should come into the picture for selection if they can maintain a good level of performance in the ressies.
    One note of caution on McLean and Amartey, is that Sinclair did the large majority of rucking. Amartey did the odd centre bounce and a bit round the ground, while maybe McLean took a few hitouts in the forward line. So, I'm not sure if management are looking at them being an AFL level double act? Not that I'm all that opposed to the idea.

Both O'Riordan and Taylor had good games. Taylor spent plenty of time as an inside mid: which surprised me a bit. Perhaps they're trying to boost his work ethic?

Out of that game, O'Connor is the player I'm most keen to see again. Definitely has pace and skills, but didn't see enough to judge his one on one defending skills. Seems to read the play well, though, and had a few intercept possessions.

Good luck sorting out the Kayo gremlins.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    One note of caution on McLean and Amartey, is that Sinclair did the large majority of rucking. Amartey did the odd centre bounce and a bit round the ground, while maybe McLean took a few hitouts in the forward line. So, I'm not sure if management are looking at them being an AFL level double act? Not that I'm all that opposed to the idea.

Both O'Riordan and Taylor had good games. Taylor spent plenty of time as an inside mid: which surprised me a bit. Perhaps they're trying to boost his work ethic?

Out of that game, O'Connor is the player I'm most keen to see again. Definitely has pace and skills, but didn't see enough to judge his one on one defending skills. Seems to read the play well, though, and had a few intercept possessions.

Good luck sorting out the Kayo gremlins.
    We are back to the pack with that loss as it exposed some of the shortcomings when our Don Pyke Plan A did not work. I think overall this lesson was great for our team going forward this year. I would rather want them to play finals like footy every week. Also SCG for some reason is our graveyard. It may be that the congestion it creates, results in a different game than what we prepare to play. While the width of MCG suits our runners a bit better. Also the game is being played differently than the first 3 weeks. All teams are playing it a bit differently and I reckon the dare has gone out as the scores are pretty close. Not sure if our dare has reduced as well since the Essendon game, it did seem we are playing on less from marks than previous weeks. Also the time given to our younger players was less by the opposition and their disposal efficiency has gone down. But this is all learning.

In hindsight, Logan should have been rested this week. I think the younger players need frequent rest period. We should not make this mistake again this year.
    I thought Lewis Taylor's clearance and burst out of the middle was good in the VFL match. But I am not sure he was doing the pressure acts as well or not. He seems to be a handy replacement for Wicks if it needs to happen at some stage during the year. Ryan Clarke continued to have lots of possessions with suboptimal disposals and was tackled with the ball a couple of occasions. I would certainly think that he is not the type of player that would fit our team and I would not bring him in unless Joey Kennedy has to go out for some reason. Amartey not sure. Not sure about Gould. He did seem to be outworked on a couple of occasions. I am not sure if he is ready.

What a game by Hayward ! I reckon if he is given a specific role rather than a all encompassing role, he is a very good player. I would rather have him in the team based on his skills than Blakey, when Heeney is back.

I suspect we missed Rowbottom last week. A fit Rowbottom would have been good in the midfield. He positions himself well and tackles well. He should certainly be back. His knee was heavily strapped but he looked good.

Rowbottom, Dylan Stephens, Ling, McLean, Sinclair, Amartey probably the only ones available.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

+1

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Hoping i will be able to make the trip up for this one!! My sister and her kids live in Brisbane. Maybe a detour via the gold coast? 😉

Im thinking we might rest a few kids for this one. Aside from North Melbourne i doubt we will get a more winnable game than this one and injuries seem to be coming hard!! A few kids looked off against GWS. Campbell , Chad, Jmac .. maybe even McDonald ? Or Wicks. Tbh I am just relieved we dont have to be discussing which of the two inclusions from last week we will have to drop - both Will and Lewis were excellent !!

Could Buddy be rested ? Jpk maybe ? Long season, these two will be key to our fortunes in the business end of the season and neither are young!! Hope Reid's head is OK. We have the depth we can afford to manage some players - we have a bounty of good talent waiting in the wings - Dylan, Sincs, Mclean, Brand, Bell, O'Riordan. Speaking of Irish - how about that Barry O'Connor!!!!!
    Why would we rest Chad or Jmac? Stars already

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast